Politics Thread - Ka-tet of 19

Blarghagh

Yeah, but would be a surprise if it weren't so, these are US cops we're talking about, after all. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, Trump signed EO that forbids kids to be separated from criminal parents. Which means kids will be detained in adult facilities with criminals.

Great work Dems a real success...

If they are seeking asylum, they're not criminals. Also are they detaining them in super maxes or something?

Maybe Cruz was on to something with expediting the processing via immigration judges.

Asylum seekers are not separated. Only the criminals (second time attempt, smuggling, cartels etc.) are being held in incarceration and their kids in separate care.

Are a lot of claims they are doing it to asylum seekers.  Certainly is believable US law enforcement is lazy enough for that.

By my understanding about issue is that Trump/Session with their so callled zero tolerance policy wanted anybody, including asylum seekers (or as some say that asylum seekers were their main target), who do even minor friction in their entry to USA to be incarcerated, which lead to people who entered with their children to be separated from their children because of law(s) about incarceration of children. Now Trump has written excecutive order which says zero tolerance policy will continue but that children can be incarcerated with their parents for indefinitely (although there is bit of a loop hole as excecutive order say that it will not supersede any laws so technically authorities could continue do what they were doing before the excecutive order)

Melania Trump 'triggering the libs/cons/media' or complete optics fail? you decide. http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/393525-melania-trump-spokeswoman-rips-media-over-jacket-there-was-no

Seriously, given how aware she is of optics, you'd think she would know better? Funny that she chose a cheap (by her standards anyway, $39) jacket though.

Edited by smjjames

"Why do Republicans hate children?"

Both sides hate children.

Republicans torture them when they are alive. Democrats don't even want children to be born hence their pro murder policy.

Also, it should be noted btw, that while Dems are currently whining about children being taken from their parents at the border (a horrible thing), the Dems are also the ones who push to have children atken away from their because they have the 'wrong' religion, because the parents allow the kids to play outside, or because they dislike the names they give them. Think about that.

Same **** different pile.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Melania Trump 'triggering the libs/cons/media' or complete optics fail? you decide. http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/393525-melania-trump-spokeswoman-rips-media-over-jacket-there-was-no

Seriously, given how aware she is of optics, you'd think she would know better? Funny that she chose a cheap (by her standards anyway, $39) jacket though.

Seems pretty lowbrow for her station, but what can you expect from those people.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"Huh, didn't know Volo was pro-life."

Nah. I'm anti life.   I'm evil that way but I'm honest about it. Or am I.

My 'relationshipo' with abortion is complicated because abortion is complex and anyone who boils it down to pro/anti is missing the big picture. My big peeve is the intellectual dishonesty that we are spammed when it comes to it. But, anyways, that is a different discussion.

Back the border mess. Fix it. Next. That goes for Kanada. And, Kanadians right now at eproud that while we also separate kids from parents at the border it doesn't 'happen as much' which makes logical since we have less immigrants (illegal or otherwise) than the US for so many obvious reasons so it seems to be a silly thing to brag about.

' We only separate 100s of kids instead of 1000s. We r0xxors'.    Those 100 kids sure love that. I guess.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Turkish election is on tomorrow. Will be interesting to see whether there really is an Incel Revolution or near total control of the media and throwing dissenting reporters in jail works out for Erdogan. I'm not sure how Erdogan would cope with even a 2nd round, his ego is sufficient that anything less than victory on the first round would be a defeat.

In other news, the Saudi Coalition in Yemen announces the capture of Hodeida Airport for the 8th consecutive day. Actually no, they seem to have conspicuously not announced it today. Given that there's sudden 'pressure' from the US to accept the UN peace deal- and the mind boggling number of destroyed vehicle videos released by the Houthis- it seems likely that things are... not going well. Maybe charging along a narrow unsecured coastal strip in a procession of MRAPs when your enemy has ATGMs wasn't such a good idea after all, who'd of thunk it. On the positive side, no literally starving the population into submission, for the moment at least.

Incel Revolution? Not sure if you're trying to be ironic there Zoraptor. A narrow victory would still be a defeat for Erdogan (since it shows that the opposition still has teeth) and his ego (much like Trumps) won't settle for anything less than an absolute landslide.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/floatdown-sarnia-americans-wash-ashore-1.3730792

Two years old article, that I come across today,, about 1500 illegal aliens from USA to Canada, it is quite funny to think how greatful they must be these days that Canada isn't like USA where they would have been hold from cople weeks to indefinitely for their crime of crossing broder improperly.

For perspective article from yesterday

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/jogger-accidentally-crosses-u-s-border-from-b-c-gets-detained-for-2-weeks-1.4717060

Jogger who accidentally crossed U.S. border from B.C. detained for 2 weeks

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Incel Revolution? Not sure if you're trying to be ironic there Zoraptor. A narrow victory would still be a defeat for Erdogan (since it shows that the opposition still has teeth) and his ego (much like Trumps) won't settle for anything less than an absolute landslide.

No irony, if Muharrim Ince wins it would certainly be a revolution given how entrenched the AKP is. If they go to a 2nd round he has a decent chance too since every candidate who isn't Erdogan seems to hate Erdogan, including the islamists and conservatives who should be his allies.

A narrow first round victory would still mean 50% of the vote for Erdogan, and it's all he needs for his program. I'm sure he'd like Putin numbers for bragging rights, but a win is a win.

No irony, if Muharrim Ince wins it would certainly be a revolution given how entrenched the AKP is. If they go to a 2nd round he has a decent chance too since every candidate who isn't Erdogan seems to hate Erdogan, including the islamists and conservatives who should be his allies.

A narrow first round victory would still mean 50% of the vote for Erdogan, and it's all he needs for his program. I'm sure he'd like Putin numbers for bragging rights, but a win is a win.

I think that smjames thought that you meant incel (involuntary celibates) revolution

35463655_820248154832419_900272975715395

Lol just work harder.

I think that smjames thought that you meant incel (involuntary celibates) revolution

An incel revolution wouldn't look much different than Erdogan's current practices.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Yeah, I misunderstood it as that rather than his opponents last name.

35463655_820248154832419_900272975715395

Then why the highest suicide rates are among the rich and not the people this guy listed?

I'd be interested in reading a source for that claim, my google fu failed me and gave me only research that said the opposite (paraphrased, number may be slightly off):

- If you live among people with higher income than you, suicide rates rise.

- If you make less than 36.000$ suicide rates are 50% higher than anything above.

- Unemployed people have 78% higher suicide rates than anyone else.

But the research I found was dated, released in 2012. Where'd you get this info?

As far as I can tell, suicide rates among the "rich" have risen more quickly, but that's only because the suicide rate along the "poor" was already so high (and is therefore has a lower rate of rising only) and the rates for the "rich" haven't even come close to catching up despite their meteoric rise.

EDIT: Either way, even if this guy is talking nonsense Reuters claim is much worse. Antidepressants treats symptoms, not causes. They cannot fix anything and more of them are not a solution. It's sticking more bandaids on an infected wound.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I'm not sure about that, but I do feel (mostly from anecdotal evidence in this case) that a lot of people take drugs that are wrong for them and accept it simply because the doctor told them to take it. Almost everyone I've seen take antidepressants does so as an ongoing thing when most of the time they're better off using them as a stabilizer to help them get back on track. Some people may need it, especially if depression is a form of comorbidity with mental illness, but I think most people diagnosed with depression should not be getting ongoing prescriptions ad infinitum. Ideally I'd want more education on medication use.

No source then?

Here's one from 2016 that appears to say the opposite.

http://uclacha.org/2016/04/25/life-expectancy-suicide-wealth/

Otherwise I get the same as TN.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

https://www.thelocal.fr/20180623/macron-backs-sanctions-on-eu-states-that-refuse-migrants

Hah, come and try it. Seems like Merkel finally gave up we have new idiot on the block :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

People are worried about Nazism in the US but the EU are true Nazis.

nonsense, EU are just new Comecon

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"