Everything posted by Hurlshort
-
Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.
Ticket prices are $12-16 in these parts. Matinee is the only way to go.
-
New Mod in the Sandbox: Mamoulian War!
You finally unlocked the last achievement.
-
Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.
He will need to drag it out over another 3 movies, I think. 🤣
-
Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.
Her human body died, but it was not able to transfer over to the blue version like Jake did. So they kept her in the tank, I guess. She also gave birth, to like, herself? I don't know, don't look too closely at the science and you will probably be happier.
-
Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.
It wasn't really a humans versus na'vi movie. It was really just Jake Sully an family on the run, with a bit of Whale Wars thrown in. I imagine we will get the big Pandora World War once Cameron has established all of the biomes. There is an entire human city now that was barely covered in the movie, so that will play a part going forward.
-
Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.
I would say the same. Do you like whales and water more than trees and birds? That is the big change. As a parent with kids who don't listen, it was highly entertaining watching Jake Sully try and get his blue kids to listen to him. I'd probably say the character dynamics were better in the sequel.
-
Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.
Avatar 2 has a chance to passing the $2 billion mark. That will give James Cameron 3 out of the top 6 highest grossing movies of all time. Like Titanic and the first Avatar, it is driven by repeated viewings, making the opening weekend numbers much less important than the length of its run. Not a big surprise, but I know there was some doubt here as to whether it would succeed.
-
Wot I bought last - a fool and their money mystary edition
Apocalypse seems to have aged the worst out of the originals. It would be interesting to see a modern version of Xcom 3, with the futuristic setting. Although I also would be happy to see TFTD. Firaxis has already done a spinoff, so I would think they could do a deep sea one. Speaking of the classics, I think Xenonauts 2 is close to open beta. The game is already very solid in alpha.
-
What are you Playing Now? It's not how you play the game, it's how you place the blame
I got a bit distracted by a Xenonauts playthrough. I just built my 3rd base and have the planet decently covered but I need more jets. The community mod basically floods you with saucers a couple times a month, so I struggle to keep up.
- Wot I bought last - a fool and their money mystary edition
-
What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...
I took my wife and daughter to see Beetlejuice at the Golden Gate Theater in San Francisco. It was fantastic. Then we went to a tapas restaurant in the back of a pawn shop. My daughter had to pawn her personal tajin shaker to get us in the door. It was a pretty great day in the city.
-
The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Re-reruns (it's always summer somewhere)
Bummer, it was pretty good.
-
What are you Playing Now? It's not how you play the game, it's how you place the blame
I've been playing an MMO called Zwift. Bit of a weird game, I joined a group and finished the session drenched in sweat. I reached level 4 and unlocked a helmet though, so that was nice. I am using the Zwift Hub Trainer in my garage. Perfect for a rainy day.
-
Funny Stuff: Which website did Chewbacca get arrested for creating? Wookieleaks!
That is a daily occurrence in 7th grade. What's a eunuch? What's circumcision?
-
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, Part 5
I also just picked up this game on sale and plan on playing it over the break.
-
Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition
Tuna was ruined for me by some Portuguese fishermen neighbors. They would give us jars of tuna filets in olive oil. It was amazing, but now I can't touch the grocery canned stuff. We also moved and lost touch with the fishermen, so now my life is empty. We used to get fresh salmon that way too.
-
What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...
Man, 5 pounds of veal is like $100 today!
-
Merry Christmas....
Santa is part of the Christmas spirit. My kids know at this point, but they enjoy the illusion as much as I do, so we keep it going. It probably helps that I never answer questions directly from my children. Every query is a chance to test their critical thinking skills.
-
Random/Interesting/Weird
This is usually when I introduce the concept of apocrypha storytelling in history to my classes. 😉 My favorite is the middle finger and English Longbowmen.
-
The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Re-reruns (it's always summer somewhere)
You don't need steriods to look like Cavill, particularly with nutrition and exercise.
-
Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.
Avatar - Titanic 2 My daughter was insistent that we see it opening weekend. I was pretty skeptical about the 3+ hour runtime, but I took the family out to a matinee. I wasn't sure where they were going to go with the story, (other than underwater), but I was pretty happy with it. If the first one was an attack on mining and deforestation, this was an attack on whaling. That being said, it was more about a small family trying to stay together and I thought that part was well done. It was also a visually stunning film. That is no surprise, but I did find myself grinning at the visuals a few times. I didn't really check my watch until about 2 hours in, so that was good. I wouldn't say it dragged on too much. I can also see how it is set up for the sequels now and I like the direction. But I enjoyed the first one, so if you didn't, then this will probably be torture for you. Which is a bummer because it is a beautiful film and seeing it in the theater was the right choice.
-
What are you Playing Now? It's not how you play the game, it's how you place the blame
Finish? I thought the goal was just to build cool bases in the water and live your best life as an Underwater Ice Road Trucker.
-
What are you Playing Now? It's not how you play the game, it's how you place the blame
Whelp, I finished my New Vegas run. I played through 2 of the DLC (Old World Blues, Dead Money) but when I went to play Honest Hearts, it started to crash frequently. I tried a few things that didn't work, so I decided to just skip the last 2 DLC and finish the game. I sided with the NCR this time (last time I went with Yes Man.) so it was nice to see that ending. I was actually hoping to finish more content, but the game was locking up too often. That being said, I still finished way more of the side quests than I did back when I originally played it. Now maybe I'll play Subnautica, since they just upgraded the habitat options and I can make my sprawling sea base better.
-
Cinema and Movie Thread: I like to remember things my own way.
I'm not sure how you can have any expectations about the Barbie movie. I mean that in a good way. It seems to be fully embracing absurdity. Ryan Gosling and Margot Robbie don't typically choose to do basic movies, so there had to have been something unique that convinced them to sign on for this. I think it is safe to say it won't be a kids movie. My daughter watched Barbie Island Princess on repeat for a couple years, so I'm not expecting that.
-
What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...
I'm not paying for her to go lick banana slugs in the Santa Cruz mountains. Actually I have no idea how I'm going to pay for any of this. But San Francisco State has the film production programs she wants, so I can figure that one out. Cal would require a decent Field Hockey scholarship, and she would best fit an engineering program there, given her construction aptitude. I do love the Cal campus though.