Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

3.05 Live on Steam

hotfix patch 3.05 firebug

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3572 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for the fix.

The nerf to the Unlabored Blade was completely uncalled for, however. Durganized normal weapons were already ahead of soulbound weapons, and Unlabored Blade was one of the few that could be on par—not anymore. Now it's not worth all the effort required to unlock it.

• limaxophobiacq, kanisatha, JerekKruger and 1 other like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2291 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

@Fenixp: I don't disagree that some balancing is desirable: as you say, it strongly detracts from a game when a class is essentially mandatory. However I don't think perfect balance is desirable either, since it can both be fun to put together the most powerful party combo you can imagine and also to take a weaker party combo for the challenge. For class balance I'd say that, by and large, PoE hits the sweet spot here. The only class I think could do with work in the Rogue, and that's more because their abilities are just not very interesting (to my mind at least) than that they are underpowered (though they are probably the weakest class).

However I feel the tweaking that has led to the nerf of the Unlabored Blade isn't a good thing. The UB was a powerful weapon once fully unlocked (no small feat) but not overpoweringly so, and given it was one of two mythic quality weapons in the game I feel it should be powerful. After this nerf I think it will under perform (outside of Barbarian use) compared to a White March Dagger enchanted with a flaming lash, legendary and durgan steel reinforcement. The latter however can be picked up (albeit without enchantments) at the end of Act I, and doesn't require a painful unlock process. Sure, you can't make the WM Dagger legendary straight away, but you can start get it to exceptional very soon, durganise it long before you get the UB, and make probably it legendary before you unlock the UB.

With a little bit of tinkering in the Unity Asset Bundle Extractor the game is perfectly tweakable according to your tastes – I wouldn't worry about little small things like this in the long run. 

Thanks, I've downloaded the extractor and will start playing around with it.

However it's not so much the particular change as what it indicates that bothers me.

Livegood118

Livegood118

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

With a little bit of tinkering in the Unity Asset Bundle Extractor the game is perfectly tweakable according to your tastes – I wouldn't worry about little small things like this in the long run. 

Thanks, I've downloaded the extractor and will start playing around with it.

However it's not so much the particular change as what it indicates that bothers me.

See my related thread here: https://forums.obsid...r/#entry1862524

• ShadySands and JerekKruger like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2291 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

See my related thread here: https://forums.obsid...r/#entry1862524

That's absolutely great, thanks!

SaruNi

SaruNi

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wow. I wish they'd made the other soulbound items more powerful, rather than nerfing one of the few worth the trouble (and The Unlabored Blade is a lot more trouble than most of them). 

Why not have a separate mode for people who want "balanced" abilities?

And even aside from class balance, if a weapon is overpowered, people can just choose not to use it... PoE isn't well-suited to the tiny contingent of hardcore competitive gamers anyway (no real competition modes), and you could restrict the nerfs to a special new hard mode (everything cheesy or remotely OP nerfed for bragging rights, etc. etc.). 

I get that tweaking a value is easier than fixing a bug, but it's really irritating that serious bugs exist (+movement speed effects have completely stopped working on my current installation, and my playstyle was heavily dependent on them), but the staff spends time making the game less enjoyable. I won't be getting Pillars 2 or Tyranny unless there's significant evidence that they've improved.

(Instead of spending time obsessing over nerfs, why not add content---like character dialogue and lore? Or rewrite some of the dialogue and lore to make it better and more interesting? The lore is one of the weakest aspects of Pillars of Eternity which is a shame, since it has potential for world-building.)

Edited by SaruNi, 23 November 2016 - 02:40 PM.

ORCACommander

ORCACommander

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Steam:ORCACommander
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

1.3GB to push 2 changes? damn the data structures of this game are monolithic

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2291 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

1.3GB to push 2 changes? damn the data structures of this game are monolithic

The Steam patcher simply downloads the entire modified game file and overwrites the existing one, rather than modifying it.

Xaratas

Xaratas

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 727 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

What about this, freakin' balance tweakers?
111-0-1464327629.jpg

Maybe, you should spent your time fixing bugs?

Broken Encding in the Stringtables? And that now? We have corrected it in the first versions of the German Fix, and the Russian Locale had it too.

Aurelio

Aurelio

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

111-0-1464327629.jpg

Broken Encding in the Stringtables? And that now? We have corrected it in the first versions of the German Fix, and the Russian Locale had it too.

I do not see this issue with steam. Which file and folder?

hilfazer

hilfazer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 372 posts

@Sking: is there any chance you could explain the rationale for this nerf 

No chance, but fear not for i have an answer for you.

The watchful eye of Obsidian has noticed than UB is overpowered when used by barbarian. That was unacceptable. So the decision was made to balance this weapon for one class while making it underpowered for all other classes.

Because one OP is worse for the game than 10 UP.

At least it was not /5ed like Sure-Handed Ila / Beloved Spirits or /4ed like Blizzard.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2291 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Whilst I'm still a bit confused and annoyed about the UB nerf, I've learnt how to change it back manually and, at the same time, learnt the very basics of modding PoE, so it's not all bad.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts

111-0-1464327629.jpg

It appears in many books. At least in Russian, yes. And yes, i know about fanmod fixing this, but it's not right when modders do their job - this issue was never fixed officially in patch.

Edited by Phenomenum, 24 November 2016 - 01:32 PM.

Aurelio

Aurelio

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

111-0-1464327629.jpg

It appears in many books. At least in Russian, yes. And yes, i know about fanmod fixing this, but it's not right when modders do their job - this issue was never fixed officially in patch.

Seems to be only in items.stringtable in russian. at least in data and expansion1- Did not check the other languages. I think the _x000D  is an issue with the excel export. The text however seemed fine. But could be an encoding issue. With UTF-8 with BOM it looks ok.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts

Indeed. It's small issue and they can't (or don't want) fix it for more than half a year.
This is just one example - several, not gamebreaking but annoying, issues (backstab attacks from invis, wrong damage type of swords for certain creatures, bug with Escape from Cape of Cheat when you can't attack enemies after the jump, wrong indicator for Cipher's Mindwave and many more) still appears in game, but they don't repair it, prefer stupid tweaking instead.
Looks like people had a huge amount of free time and thinking: "Well, we have no work to do, sooo... let's tweak some items!" - then randomly picks victim, - "Sorry Unlabored Blade, you got the short end of the stick today..."
:facepalm:

Edited by Phenomenum, 25 November 2016 - 01:48 AM.

DiabolicallyRandom

DiabolicallyRandom

Aleax of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:DreamWraith

For a minor patch, you must have totally fubar'd steam. 1.3 GB download, and I'm not the only one. https://www.reddit.c...b_update_today/

As mentioned in that Reddit thread, Steam's patcher simply rewrites the entire game file that contains the change. I predict GOG's patch will be a few MB.

Because they are doing it wrong. Steam has diff-patching now, and has for some time. They just aren't using the patch system properly on steam. Maybe because they don't know how, or maybe because they are too lazy. IDK.

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2291 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Because they are doing it wrong. Steam has diff-patching now, and has for some time. They just aren't using the patch system properly on steam. Maybe because they don't know how, or maybe because they are too lazy. IDK.

Interesting. I will admit that, since I have fairly fast internet and no download limits, I don't really mind how big the patch is, but I can understand how annoying it must be for those without one of those two things.

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Steam:Kill it with fire!
  • Deadfire Backer

Don't really get the big upset about the nerfing of a weapon that the base game doesn't even contain. (But for that reason, I've never tried it either, so don't know how good it was, or if it was overpowered).

Happened to come across a little bug yesterday, on 3.04. In one of the early-ish levels of Cuad Nua (the one with many xaurips and wurms), there was a bit battle close to a trap, and I tried to use Hiravias to disable the trap during the battle. For some reason he got stuck in place, and couldn't move, not after combat was over either. The trap wasn't disabled, but still glowed red on the floor. I couldn't get him to move no matter what.

Saved the game and reloaded it, and that sorted him out. So little point in sending it in as it probably won't reproduce.

I'm still pretty early in this playthrough, but there is already quite a few seconds to wait every time the game loads anything. This is *THE* thing that needs to be improved - lots - for PoE2. You could release the exact same game with a different story and location for all I care, and I'd probably buy it as long as loading doesn't take a stupid amount of time every time you enter a door, new area, whatever. Like written in some other place, pretty soon it feels like half your time with the game is spent staring at that damn loading screen :(

• Raven Darkholme likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2291 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Don't really get the big upset about the nerfing of a weapon that the base game doesn't even contain. (But for that reason, I've never tried it either, so don't know how good it was, or if it was overpowered).

I'm not really sure why the fact the base game doesn't contain the Unlabored Blade is relevant.

Anyway, it was a good weapon, but not overpowered (or if it was, there were a lot of even more overpowered weapons). The main thing is that it was one of a very small group of Soulbound weapons that wasn't rubbish. Most Soulbound weapons are outperformed by their regular brethren, which is a huge shame given the effort put into their lore and the taken to unlock them. With this nerf, that group is one smaller, as the Unlabored Blade is now outperformed (for non-Barbarians) by a White March Dagger with the Legendary Enchant and a Flaming Lash.

Meanwhile, there are plenty of actual bugs left in the game that Obsidian could have been fixing, but they chose to take the time to nerf this weapon, making the game a little less fun.

It's not a major issue, but hopefully you can see why it's annoying.

I'm still pretty early in this playthrough, but there is already quite a few seconds to wait every time the game loads anything. This is *THE* thing that needs to be improved - lots - for PoE2. You could release the exact same game with a different story and location for all I care, and I'd probably buy it as long as loading doesn't take a stupid amount of time every time you enter a door, new area, whatever. Like written in some other place, pretty soon it feels like half your time with the game is spent staring at that damn loading screen

Yeah, load times are pretty awful. I think I read somewhere that this is related to the way the Unity engine does things, so hopefully the newer version of Unity will improve matters for PoE2.

PangaeaACDC

PangaeaACDC

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Steam:Kill it with fire!
  • Deadfire Backer

Don't get me wrong, I can see why it's annoying, but I also think this might be a case of the small minority being overly vocal about it.

That said, in general I think one of the underwhelming aspects of the game is the lack of weapons or items that 'feel' awesome, like for instance some gear in BG. Of course, that could kind of be a strength too, in the sense that you don't HAVE TO get that super-duper-awesome weapon, and just about any build is doable. But it also makes the game kind of pedestrian, if you get my meaning. I guess there isn't a perfect way to do it, and I simply miss that feeling from BG of getting that weapon that truly felt fantastic. Nothing in this game really works that way, though that is also down to how stats/attributes work.

Whatever is the cause for the massive loading times, it better be sorted out for PoE2. If Unity is so inefficient, I don't see the reason to use it. Okay, it's cheap and accessible, but Obsidian isn't making games out of their basement.

• Raven Darkholme likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3572 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Don't get me wrong, I can see why it's annoying, but I also think this might be a case of the small minority being overly vocal about it.

If only a minority were using the weapon, why make sure absolutely no one does so going forward by applying a nerf that nobody ever called for? (Provided that it is indeed a minority who actually have the expansion.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hotfix, patch, 3.05, firebug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users