What you having for dinner tonight?

Tale

Greek salad with romaine, radicchio, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, pepperoncini, kalamata olives, and feta cheese.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

am kinda all over the map this eve. aloo chaat, baba ganoush (perhaps a bit heavy on the garlic), and a small greek salad. add pita bread and a few fresh vegetables cut for easy dipping.

real reason for the baba ganoush is 'cause somebody asked us what we were making for dinner and we said "baba ganoush" for no other reason than we believe baba ganoush sounds inherent funny. *shrug* have a couple eggplants we bought yesterday, so it all works out for us.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://ribsandburgers.com/za/

Im going to this restaurant tomorrow, check the Ribs  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

our heart has been nagging us constant of late.  "eat your veggies."  "cut back on salt."  "another 30 minutes on the bike won't kill you." etc. nag. nag. nag. finally got sick and tired o' our heart, and so we made bacon-wrapped mac & cheese balls.  deepfried. made six of 'em. ate 'em all.

was gonna make slaw, but then we recognized cabbage and carrots as vegetables.  

let our heart know who is boss... though am suspecting 'round 2:00 AM we may come to regret our gastronomical rebellion. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Wanted to try something new, so I made okonomiyaki(Cabbage pancake), turned out pretty well, though the bacon didn't turn out crisp enough for my tastes, but it was surprisingly nice. Next time though I'm making them thinner. The inner part was a bit undercooked.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Chicken soup with veggies. Not fancy but lots of protein and low calorie, plus it's fresh.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing fancy for this Labor Day weekend.

tOY4bnm.jpg

Chili cheese dogs off the grill.

Not pictured: Corn on the cob, also off the grill.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Our recent CA trip was alongside some folks who now live on the east coast but who grew up in SoCal.  They have rather mass-market tastes, thus we *had* to stop off at all the drive-thru joints that they remembered from their youth, but can't get "back east."  

As such, I present the following listicle: 

West-Coast-Exclusive Quick Service Restaurant Chains

1) El Pollo Loco

2) Del Taco (It's basically Taco Bell, but good.  And with a side of fries for some reason.)

3) In-N-Out (Underwhelming, given the reputation. They serve literally 2 things-- there's no excuse for the fries to be so sh***y)

999) Jack in the Box  (Who actually eats this?)

(Carl's Jr. doesn't count, as Hardee's exists out here.  Also, it sucks, but not as much as Jack in the Box does.) 

Aside, this thread again makes me miss having the time to actually do somewhat creative cooking.  It's just too hard a sell to the wife to ask her to watch the boys (1 & 3 yo) without help for 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon so that I can make something new and interesting.  (Someday they'll be old enough that I can just tell them to watch TV or play with their legos or whatever.  Sigh.)  I've been reduced to reiteration on my staples, with emphasis on the items that the kids will deign to eat.  (The baby likes my chili.  His older brother just wants a plain hot dog.  I'll make a meatloaf tomorrow-- they both eat that.) 

• Like 1

ok, am not a bon appétit fan, but the tater tot waffle is an inspired idea.

ingredients as follows:

4 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
Flaky sea salt
8 ounces thick-cut smoked bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 32-ounce bag tater tots (preferably Ore-Ida), room temperature
3 ounces sharp cheddar, coarsely grated (about ¾ cup)
Sour cream and cilantro leaves with tender stems 

prep found at link.

HA! Good Fun!
  • Like 2

Our recent CA trip was alongside some folks who now live on the east coast but who grew up in SoCal.  They have rather mass-market tastes, thus we *had* to stop off at all the drive-thru joints that they remembered from their youth, but can't get "back east."  

As such, I present the following listicle: 

West-Coast-Exclusive Quick Service Restaurant Chains

1) El Pollo Loco

2) Del Taco (It's basically Taco Bell, but good.  And with a side of fries for some reason.)

3) In-N-Out (Underwhelming, given the reputation. They serve literally 2 things-- there's no excuse for the fries to be so sh***y)

999) Jack in the Box  (Who actually eats this?)

quick observations.

west coast people likely lump del taco and jack in the box together-- is 2:30 am food. bars close and folks not wanna go to denny's and so they end up at the aforementioned, if only to use the restroom... which likely evokes comparisons to trainspotting.  24/7 is the major (only?) appeal o' the del taco and jack in the crack. 'course so many o' the west coast mexican fast food chains is limited regional (e.g. tacos de acapulco, adalbertos) one might not realize they is actual part o' chains. ask surfers where they go for mexican food at 7:00 am is likely your best guide for mexican fast food. regardless, is weird to hear anybody sing praise o' del taco as is punchline fare for the most part.  friend is vomiting in the morning and likely you will make a joke 'bout how such is deserved result for hitting up del taco after bar hopping.

in n' out does have shakes, so three items? *shrug* is a large "secret menu" locals know 'bout, but even so, it is minimalist.  burgers is good, with fresh ingredients and the prices is cheap. am having difficulty finding fault... though their fries is kinda odd and not for everybody.

so cal? missed roscoe's chicken and waffles and tommy's? no asian fast food mentioned? roscoe's does takeout, but isn't actual drive thru at most locations.  even so, am mild shocked if it were left off the list o' 999. tommy's is kinda iconic so cal. is a fair number o' asian fast food places, much/most o' which is terrible, but asian box, for example, is worth a visit... or two. am near certain there is asian box locations so cal.

ah well, next time in cali, ask manifested, hurl or Gromnir, 'mongst others, for advice.  sounds like your traveling companions were no friends at all... though am gonna admit, we like pollo loco. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

Asian Box would be most welcome. Quik Wok won't even know what hit them.

True, after the trainspotters crash out, a cottage industry of breakfast enthusiasts converge along the coast, pre-dawn to sunrise. Possibly the best local and regional fare for mexican, or waffles, veggies, eggs, fish, bacon, avocado everything ... the usual, but somehow so much better, served in open-air sidewalk cafes that vanish by 11am. Reasonably priced, too, for the most part. Should be criminal to settle for Jack in the Box.

All Stop. On Screen.

But I actually like Jack in the Crack. Craving an ultimate cheeseburger on sourdough now... Grumble grumble.

I wish we had In-N-Out here and fast Mexican like we have in AZ. The Mexican food I've had in Colorado had been disappointing. So many filler ingredients, what I wouldn't give for a Nico's Taco Shop or Los Betos let alone an El Molinitos. True story, my wife never liked Mexican food until I took her to my favorite spots in Tucson.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Cook Out is my go to guilty pleasure ****ty fast food joint, but I'm not sure they have those outside the Carolinas. I'm a sucker for their Cajun Style and Cheddar Style Chicken sandwiches. As a bonus they have a selection of sides you can get in a combo, not just fries. Best of all, it's dirt cheap.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Cook Out is my go to guilty pleasure ****ty fast food joint, but I'm not sure they have those outside the Carolinas. I'm a sucker for their Cajun Style and Cheddar Style Chicken sandwiches. As a bonus they have a selection of sides you can get in a combo, not just fries. Best of all, it's dirt cheap.

They're in Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Maryland, Mississippi, Virginia, West Virginia and Alabama in addition to the Carolinas.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Basic Lasagne, the only difference being that I marinate the pasta sheets in green pesto (olive oil, basil, parmesan reggiano) for a day, prior to cooking. Nice Shiraz (Syrah). :)

Edited by Fiach

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!