Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect Franchise

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9271 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

But my experience is that all of the characters do that. And frankly I can't expect that any of the characters have an infinite amount of dialogue.

Also I liked Vega; was he the greatest companion? No. But I did like having his comments in the party seeing a lot of the craziness for the first time.

I found that Ashley had much less dialogue than any other person in your party had. All of them had that Zaeed/Kasumi-style dialogue to some extent, but Ashley's dialogue was about on par with Cortez, who wasn't even really a full party member, despite the fact she should have played a big role if she's brought back to the team.

Just IMO, of course. But I thought they really dropped the ball with regards to the number of dialogue options you have with her throughout. It was especially disappointing given that BioWare stated the reason they went with less party members than in ME2 was to make the ones we did have more fleshed out. I don't think that's the case at all.
  • Nepenthe likes this

Amentep

Amentep

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3379 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Well I won't dispute not feeling the characters were fleshed out despite there being less of them; but I think in general there's a feeling that for me at least all of the characters could have used more development.

Janmanden

Janmanden

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 718 posts
Ashley has been the most useless, petty, rigid and conservative character since the beginning.. Ever since she turned the offer of a threesome in ME1 she has been on my hatelist.. I wish I could have saved her from a gruesome end by shooting her myself. The only time I 'endured' her was the time I 'dated' her, which is pretty much everything she is about. She is eye candy, like one of those bitter acid drops, that you only suck on because it's got a delicious filling, which unfortunately is spent a lot faster than the bad taste in the beginning.. I think the count of times with 'new' dialogue is probably about the same as previous games, but because it's spend so fast with so few choices in the process just makes it feel a helluva lot less..

I think it's sort of okay in principle, that instead of giving me the same old dialogue options I get some dismissive hit and run 'floating text', when they have nothing else to say, but I think it's much worse when Shepard replies back in the same fashion, because there is too little choice in dialogue already. Compared to ME1/ME2 there is only about 10% of all of Shepards dialogue, which is a matter of choice and it happens quite often that there is no choice at all.. So yeah, they really dropped the ball on dialogue.. I think the reason there is any choice at all is mostly just for old times sake or as kind of punishment.. Sometimes I just want to nap on the keyboard and wake up to some action, but then they put one of those few choices in between two cutscenes to make me endure more of that passive spectator play.. I guess I could put the game in 'action' mode, but that's just.. I.. hng.. Too much (read: too little).

Full Choices: "All conversations require participation. No choices are made for you."
- That's obviously a matter of interpretation, because in 90% of the cases where Shepard got a line someone decided that you shouldn't have that as a choice, but the few choices you do get, well, uh.. you get those - even though they have been reduced as well.. Instead of getting three choices on the right, there is mostly only two.. And 'participation' in itself is quite anal-retentive like "you did start the game yourself didn't you?"..

Hmmm.. Maybe it's because I don't use XBOX Kinetic, that the game fails to notice that I sit with my arms crossed 90% of the time of every conversation.. I often nearly miss out on those blinking Renegade and Paragorn options, because I am half asleep from inactivity.. I wish there was a visible count down timer for next 'participation'.. That way I could plan my time better, go to the toilet, make coffee, talk to my gf and all kinds of other things while the game plays itself relentlessly.. If only it was funny to review on replay.. If only they would show some random footage of development, casting, voice recording, cut parts or goof points, while I am waiting for all those repetitive. predictable and unavoidable parts of the game to finish playing.. Could just be like a semi transparent pop up window in the foreground.. That would be nice as a bandage. If only Bioware was into making nice with choices.. and blah-blah-blah.

Ugh. This game is a wound that won't stop bleeding..
  • entrerix likes this

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4583 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You hate the character because it's well and consistently done, not because it's ****. That's an achievement in itself. ;)

Janmanden

Janmanden

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 718 posts
Thank you. Sycophant Achievement gained. Wohooo!! :biggrin:

That was the hardest achievement of them all for me and the least gratifying. Wonder why they scrapped the achievements of ME2, but that one would have been quite a thorn in the eye on that page anyway..
  • tripleRRR likes this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6906 posts
Not a bad word about Ashley. She's a Geth killah.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4568 posts
  • Backer

ME3 is easier than ME2 just because you have at least double health and shields and do more damage. The combat is only slightly improved. Maybe 10 games later it would actually live up to it's potential.

If you say so. I find that standing idly in the open gets me killed just as quickly as it did back in ME2, and unless I aim real good and land a headshot, the Claymore isn't a reliable one-shot-one-kill tool anymore -which is why, coupled with them doing away with the reload trick, I no longer use that- so I don't think the player has been significantly buffed other than by tweaking cooldown mechanics.

The real balance changes have been applied to the MP portion of the game only, as far as I know.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9481 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Tale82
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Not a bad word about Ashley. She's a Geth killah.

I rarely speak ill of the dead.

Majek

Majek

Obsidian Order's Whatchamacallit

• Members
  • 2222 posts
  • Silver Backer

ME3 is easier than ME2 just because you have at least double health and shields and do more damage. The combat is only slightly improved. Maybe 10 games later it would actually live up to it's potential.

If you say so. I find that standing idly in the open gets me killed just as quickly as it did back in ME2, and unless I aim real good and land a headshot, the Claymore isn't a reliable one-shot-one-kill tool anymore -which is why, coupled with them doing away with the reload trick, I no longer use that- so I don't think the player has been significantly buffed other than by tweaking cooldown mechanics.

The real balance changes have been applied to the MP portion of the game only, as far as I know.

Balance? Bwah it's worse that ME2 there ( talking about Gold, you can solo Bronze and should have an easy time on Silver with pretty much every char ). Shots from nowhere, paper cover, powers and mods not working properly and gazillion health on the enemies, not to mention that from all the weapons most are completely useless.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4568 posts
  • Backer

Balance? Bwah it's worse that ME2 there ( talking about Gold, you can solo Bronze and should have an easy time on Silver with pretty much every char ). Shots from nowhere, paper cover, powers and mods not working properly and gazillion health on the enemies, not to mention that from all the weapons most are completely useless.

Well, Gold IS supposed to be hard to beat. I agree though that the bugs aren't cool. I've lost count of the times I've become locked out of the map after Charge bugged on me. Mobs can somehow still kill me, even though I'm floating a hundred meters above the ground, though. Mad skills.

And don't get me started on connectivity problems. I must have roughly a 50/50 chance of d/c before matches end. Lost connection on wave 11? Sorry, you get nothing. That's not only bad netcode, it's poor design right there.

Still, pretty fun for a while.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7002 posts
  • Backer
http://www.vgcats.co...s/?strip_id=313

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9271 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

http://www.vgcats.co...s/?strip_id=313

It's funny because it's true. :(

Oblarg

Oblarg

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 878 posts
So, I've been playing the game through on Insanity, and it's by far the easiest of the three. Playing a vangaurd with minimal weapon load (Disciple shotgun and Vindicator assault rifle), my powers cool down so fast that I can essentially afford to charge nonstop until the battle ends. The only enemies that give me trouble are phantoms - even the fight against two banshees in the Ardat Yakshi monastery was easily handled with charge -> roll away -> empty shotgun clip -> reload -> repeat.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 9774 posts
Vanguard is ridiculously easy. Has anybody ever played Soldier or Engineer?

Edit: Damn, game is already 30% off. I could have saved some money there.

Janmanden

Janmanden

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 718 posts
I've played Vanguard, Infiltrator and Engineer.. Tried my hand with Sentinel and Adept too, but they don't quite fit my playing style and I am already done with the game. It's depleted apart from a few minor romances, like the one with Miranda that I haven't seen the end of (unless that black out at the sexy part on the Citadel was 'it'), and I am not that big on repetition and there is just too much of that now. Engineer is a bit too much of a key hell and it's quite annoying that it doesn't have any ammo types associated by default. I would like not to spend my bonus power on ammo type. Only other thing that really bothers me is that none of the 'turrets' are as effective as the Cerberus Engineers Turret, but Sabotage makes fighting Cerberus quite effective.. The combat drone sometimes do harassment nicely. Just wait for the Cerberus Engineer to set up his little helper and have it blow him away with sabotage.. It's almost too easy fighting Cerberus and Geth for that matter as well. On Mars in the Turret room there is a 'crack' in the window that let you 'summon' a combat drone inside the 'fish tank' and for some reason Cerberus only knows how to open doors when they are going to shut them behind to keep you out.. The stupidity of the AI in this game is shocking at times.. But things get more messy vs. the Reapers in the end.

The only thing that really annoy me isn't so much about the engineer, but the fact that most Heavy Pistols in general are heavier than SMG's and some Snipers. I like having a high Bonus Recharge Speed AND having a gun that can do some damage as well, which cuts it down to just one gun.. Mostly Sniper in my case.

Jaesun

Jaesun

Fabulous Paladin of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1910 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Kaiija
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I played Soldier and Engineer (LOL hack turret). Engineer was hysterically fun to play. <3

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2710 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
At the moment I just can't stir my enthusiasm to get into multiplayer again.. knowing that over days the war readiness score will drop..and I'm having that "wait and see" urge on what dlc they might have to fix/add to things before I finish my second playthrough..
  • GhostofAnakin and Nepenthe like this

Nepenthe

Nepenthe

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4583 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

At the moment I just can't stir my enthusiasm to get into multiplayer again.. knowing that over days the war readiness score will drop..and I'm having that "wait and see" urge on what dlc they might have to fix/add to things before I finish my second playthrough..

Yeah, I have similar feelings. The system that was designed to make people play mp seems to have the opposite effect.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9271 posts
  • Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The "wait and see" attitude is where I'm at, too. I don't have any urge to play through again until I see what this extended DLC thing adds. I certainly have no interest in playing again in its current state.

The MP got boring after I played all the maps a handful of times. Same game type, same wave of enemies, etc. just got boring.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4568 posts
  • Backer

The only thing that really annoy me isn't so much about the engineer, but the fact that most Heavy Pistols in general are heavier than SMG's and some Snipers. I like having a high Bonus Recharge Speed AND having a gun that can do some damage as well, which cuts it down to just one gun.. Mostly Sniper in my case.

Carnifex and especially Paladin are basically sniper rifles when fully upgraded. They weigh way less than that Widow or Black Widow and pack some serious punch. Can't have everything, which is a good thing I guess.

So, I've been playing the game through on Insanity, and it's by far the easiest of the three. Playing a vangaurd with minimal weapon load (Disciple shotgun and Vindicator assault rifle), my powers cool down so fast that I can essentially afford to charge nonstop until the battle ends. The only enemies that give me trouble are phantoms - even the fight against two banshees in the Ardat Yakshi monastery was easily handled with charge -> roll away -> empty shotgun clip -> reload -> repeat.

In SP where lag is not a factor, I've found the Graal is amazing. Charge the gun -> release the shot -> Charge yourself -> unload a second blast right after coming out of the Charge. With projectile delay you'll be landing 3 attacks with next to no delay which is enough to bring down protected mobs instantly. It's also pretty accurate over long distances so you don't need a backup gun. The downside is it's fairly heavy.

As for the ninjas, have Liara or Kaidan prime them, storm to Nova -> Charge -> shotgun blast to the face. I find enemies that can't be staggered such as Cerberus turrets much more troublesome. Those are responsible for like ~90% of my deaths or something.

Been trying some Gold matches lately, branch out a bit from the Asari Adept biotic bomb spam on FBW/G. PuGs are generally terrible. Doesn't help that my gear -and skill- isn't up to snuff and can't carry the team myself. :/

Edited by 213374U, 28 April 2012 - 11:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users