Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

"Then you get the midget comment, which is probably the only movie I would pay to see. I think they are called dwarves though, and I am sure Volo would be right next to me in line to see it."

I'm pro dwarf not pro short human. HUGE difference. Get it? HUGE.

"Its totally not reverse discrimination"

Does not exist. Just like 'reverse sexism' or 'reverse racism'. It's just 'descrimination'.

LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

How would you feel about dwarf Nazis in Wolfenstein ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't want you to get into a mental blockade over He-Man. Go with Thor, or Spider Man or whatever. In these cases the original is destroyed in favor of the new flavor. Why is this the solution instead of just making a new character?

Except there still is a male version of those characters. It's just another way to re-brand the same old properties. Personally I prefer original content, but it doesn't actually bother me. Didn't they also shoot Captain America in the head? Comic book universes are crazy, changing the gender of a character seems pretty small in comparison to some of the weird stuff they've done in books. 

Then you get the midget comment, which is probably the only movie I would pay to see.

Technically I think its "Little Person" now. 

As far as action movies, why try to top Weng Weng?

Wait a darn minute, are you trying to tell me that in 1985 they were able to figure out how to be inclusive without destroying and rewriting the established canon?! I. am. shocked. 

Nah, I'm sure He-Man fanboys whined about appropriation back then as well, they just didn't have the internet to amplify their outrage. :p

Also lol at the idea of Doom cannon. Have you read Masters of Doom? Story wasn't exactly a sacred cow at id.

Mostly the complaints were about giving She-Ra the Horde as villains (in the toys, Hordak and the Horde are He-Man villains).  But even that complaint is a bit begrudgingly made because She-Ra the toyline really only had Catra as a villain.

Exactly! The phrase is perfect in its ambiguity and ability to be twisted into whatever meaning the current discussion dictates.

I don't want you to get into a mental blockade over He-Man. Go with Thor, or Spider Man or whatever. In these cases the original is destroyed in favor of the new flavor. Why is this the solution instead of just making a new character?

Thor still existed while Jane Foster was Thor.  Now that Jane Foster is dead, Thor is back as the main character in the Thor books.

Spider-Man has only ever been replaced by his clone, Ben Reilly and briefly mind swapped with Otto Octavious as part of a long story-line.  All the other Spider-characters (The Spider-Women (Jessica Drew, Gwen Stacey, Julia Carpenter, Mattie Franklin, Charlotte Witter), Miles Morales, Silk, etc) were separate characters OR alternate universe versions of an existing spider character (Peter Porker the Spectacular Spider Ham, et al)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As a historian, I think I should organize a movement to boycott these reboots:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_2099

What's not to like about an alternate dystopian future for the Marvel U?  They have a few already (Age of Apocalypse, Days of Future Past, Cable's future, Bishop's future, Machine Man's future, Original Guardians of the Galaxy future, Earth-X off the top of my head)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

In these cases the original is destroyed in favor of the new flavor.

Well in the case of Doom, nothing is being destroyed.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

it also had a healthy dose of purdy looking wimmenz.

Oh no, is that even allowed where you live? :>

Kinda curious, actually.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

"Everyone QQ, film studio apologizes".

Did you read it or are your responses just going to be constant redirects?

The article starts out right away talking about how Ridley Scott was basically forced to cast white actors in order to get funding a few years back for Exodus. The reality is there is an incredibly long history of putting white actors in ethnic roles, so excuse me if I'm not breaking the violin out because some non-white guys and women and getting more roles traditionally given to white guys. That being said, even with the studio apology, the film still got made and released. It bombed because it looked bad, just like the new Doom will probably bomb, regardless of the gender of the space marine.

If you have a problem with people whining about the casting of a bunch of white guys to play Egyptians, why would you then turn around and whine about the casting of a woman in Doom?

edit: Also, collective shrug was your words, not mine. All I did was post a movie where they put a bunch of white people in as Egyptians.

Edited by Hurlshot

In these cases the original is destroyed in favor of the new flavor.

Well in the case of Doom, nothing is being destroyed.

look, i would be probably same annoyed if they decide to not feature deamons or not make it on mars. If I want to watch Doom movie lets keep those basic elements (including doom guy) in and than let you expand on it because it would also require little bit more story than 2 hours of bashing deamons. I could see it like kinda that new Mad Max style movie - 2 hours of action but still enable to tell some story, even feminists praised it. I like it because I like how Max was struggling to endure all that femine empowerement and don't just kill those yapping ladies :) *just joking*

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

And I kinda dig Angelina as Lara to be clear

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

DoomGuy was an actual element? Hm, ok.

The article starts out right away talking about how Ridley Scott was basically forced to cast white actors in order to get funding a few years back for Exodus. The reality is there is an incredibly long history of putting white actors in ethnic roles, so excuse me if I'm not breaking the violin out because some non-white guys and women and getting more roles traditionally given to white guys. That being said, even with the studio apology, the film still got made and released. It bombed because it looked bad, just like the new Doom will probably bomb, regardless of the gender of the space marine.

If you have a problem with people whining about the casting of a bunch of white guys to play Egyptians, why would you then turn around and whine about the casting of a woman in Doom?

edit: Also, collective shrug was your words, not mine. All I did was post a movie where they put a bunch of white people in as Egyptians.

Hmm, this "misunderstanding" seems familiar...who does it remind me of... Anyway, lets move on. Ive been advocating that "new stuff" doesn't have to destroy the canon "old stuff", which seems to garner a collective shrug from people. You provide an example of a movie that was "whitewashed" and I responded with an article about how it was savaged by the public. Do you see the duplicity in public opinion?

it also had a healthy dose of purdy looking wimmenz.

Oh no, is that even allowed where you live? :>

Kinda curious, actually.

No, the Iranian TV wouldn't show a movie like that. I watched it on teh interwebz!

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Hmm, this "misunderstanding" seems familiar...who does it remind me of... Anyway, lets move on. Ive been advocating that "new stuff" doesn't have to destroy the canon "old stuff", which seems to garner a collective shrug from people. You provide an example of a movie that was "whitewashed" and I responded with an article about how it was savaged by the public. Do you see the duplicity in public opinion?

1. How is this "new stuff" destroying the old stuff? Your comic book examples didn't hold up. 

2. Obviously it isn't getting a collective shrug from people, as people do seem to be losing their bleep over the female Doom character.

3. Putting white guys into historically ethnic roles has been going on for much longer, so people have a lot more ammunition to fire off when complaining about that versus people complaining about women and ethnicities taking all the jobs in Hollywood.

1. How is this "new stuff" destroying the old stuff? Your comic book examples didn't hold up.

Well because later it got changed back/to something else?

2. Obviously it isn't getting a collective shrug from people, as people do seem to be losing their bleep over the female Doom character.

I assume you are referring to Chilloutman link? I didn't watch it so I will concede that but nobody in this thread is losing their bleep.

3. Putting white guys into historically ethnic roles has been going on for much longer, so people have a lot more ammunition to fire off when complaining about that versus people complaining about women and ethnicities taking all the jobs in Hollywood.

I also didn't watch Gods of Egypt but I feel comfortable that its historical relevance is exactly the same as a super hero movie. :lol: Whos even arguing that minorities are "taking the jobs"? That link Im referencing above?