[Level Scaling] [Difficulty] [POTD]Compilation Thread

anathanielh

Question

I've been noticing the same thing. At level 12 I started paying attention to enemy deflection etc values, and they just seem to match bestiary with potd bonus, no additional scaling bonuses at all. Even human enemies have like +12 to deflection from levels, which means they are only level 4.

Interesting. It does look like it's not working.

Edited by Mercbeast

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter, because level scaling doesn't actually work it seems.

Want to test to see if its working?

Go fight a monster. If you are level 12, then the monster should get a +3 accuracy or deflection bonus for each level above level 1.

So if level scaling UP is on, go to the combat log, mouse over an attack on a critter, or an attack by a critter. Do you see +33 accuracy or deflection from level for the creature? No? Level scaling isn't working.

Hey everyone,

Difficulty indicators do not display when level scaling is enabled. Basically, every quest/creature/area has a predetermined level and this level is used to determine what the difficulty indicators display. When level scaling is enabled, the levels of these quests/creatures/areas are changed, but the difficulty indicator system is not set up to account for changes in difficulty scaling. Because of this, we opt to not display difficulty indicators when level scaling is enabled, rather than displaying inaccurate information. That being said, we are still tracking this issue internally and reviewing our systems. Thanks a lot for the feedback, everyone!

- JL

Are you guys aware that level scaling doesn't actually seem to be working? Multiple people have run tests, and it the creatures are not scaling up to your level.

Unless level scaling doesn't work the way it is described? The assumption is that, by scaling the encounters to your level, the creatures should be scaling to your level, so a level 4 NPC would become level 8 if the PC was level 8. However, in the combat logs, we can see that this is clearly not the case. So if it is working on some other mechanic, it would be neat so we don't all panic.

My understanding is, that the example I gave, level 4 upscaled to level 8, the NPC should show +21 accuracy and deflection bonus' from their level, which was scaled from level 4 to level 8.

I know that this is not baked into the base calculations, because I ran a test in the sea cave with different leveled characters. The base (non +level bonus stats) do not change. Unless the entire first island is exempt from level scaling, which I suppose is possible?

It's also possible that the scaling is tied to the level you were the first time you entered the zone/hub.

So, if an area is considered a sub-area of another area, it's possible the scaling is tied to the first time you entered that hub. It would also explain why enemies on the beach don't seem to scale. You entered the beach at level 1, so all the enemies are locked to level 1.

This might also explain why off the beaten path encounters tend to be so much more difficult. You go to a random island, have a fight, and it's hard. You go to an area on Neketaka, and everything tends to be easy, unless it out levels you.

I'll keep my eye on this as I progress.

I've been testing this on various encounters with different party levels and so far I have made the same observations - bonuses from enemy levels don't change. 

Edited by Tanred
  • Like 1

It's also possible that the scaling is tied to the level you were the first time you entered the zone/hub.

So, if an area is considered a sub-area of another area, it's possible the scaling is tied to the first time you entered that hub. It would also explain why enemies on the beach don't seem to scale. You entered the beach at level 1, so all the enemies are locked to level 1.

This might also explain why off the beaten path encounters tend to be so much more difficult. You go to a random island, have a fight, and it's hard. You go to an area on Neketaka, and everything tends to be easy, unless it out levels you.

I'll keep my eye on this as I progress.

That's what I thought too but I tested various areas because of this. That's why I changed my level on the boat and not on the beach when I used the console, and after checking the beach, I went all the way to the digsite. It's possible the entire island is one single non scaling area though but I don't really want to bother doing the whole thing(although I guess it wouldn't be that long maybe I'll check tomorrow).

This post also comes as a reaction to my experience when I entered the Oathbinder Sanctum or whatever(quest just southwest of Neketaka) on my 2nd save after I restarted in that same place on my first save because the game was too easy, and it was exactly the same on my 2nd save(which has scaling). Both are level 10(2nd one has a bit more xp while first was 9 when I entered and lvled to 10 inside) and both see the exact same stats, and the stats are way too low for a lvl 10 place, I think I have like 15more accuracy without buffs than the enemies' deflection, on potd.

One thing I haven't tested is advancing the main quest, which I might try tomorrow. It's possible for some weird reason they tied the scaling entirely to the main quest progress. So advancing the main quest would check my level and apply the scaling. I'll try tomorrow to do the main quest on the first island and try an area outside too while I'm at it with my lvl 15 scaling save.

Adding to this as level scaling is not working my game. I've been playing on Veteran with Level Scaling, All and only Upwards since the very start. Now close to 40 hours in at lvl 16. It's very evident that nothing is scaling with me. 

Eureka! It's possible to disable level scaling mid-game by switching the difficulty back to story/relaxed, and then going back to veteran (this is a bug, btw). There's no way to undo this change other than reloading a save file before you switched difficulties.

This does nothing for me. Can anyone else reproduce this?

Eureka! It's possible to disable level scaling mid-game by switching the difficulty back to story/relaxed, and then going back to veteran (this is a bug, btw). There's no way to undo this change other than reloading a save file before you switched difficulties.

You have to confirm the new difficulty setting after switching to story/relaxed and then do it again once you revert to veteran. Also make sure that the 'difficulty indicator' is toggled on.

You have to confirm the new difficulty setting after switching to story/relaxed and then do it again once you revert to veteran. Also make sure that the 'difficulty indicator' is toggled on.

It worked! Thanks, unintended bug ends up saving me a lot of headache. 

It worked! Thanks, unintended bug ends up saving me a lot of headache. 

Yeah, but you loose the lvl scaling :/

Same thing on my end I hope gets fixed asap it's absolutely gamebreaking in a game where the difficulty from place to place can vary wildly and just leveling to much can ruin any of the  challenge on some cool unique places you happened to discover too late (me with poko kahara ;().

• Like 1

And it does not work on the hardest difficulty, so it is kinda useless.

PotD is all over the place right now (in some cases, I think, it's even easier than Veteran).

Yeah, but you loose the lvl scaling :/

If I have to choose, I'd rather have the convenience of difficulty indicators than level scaling.

You can turn off scaling and get the difficulty indicators to show by using the unity console mod by shadowglaze on nexusmods. Its easy to install. Instructions are provided on the mod page.

Here are the commands you need to enter. They are in the posts section of the mod but I list them here for your convenience. The commands are self explanatory. Use only the ones you need.

import Game
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaleUpOnly = False
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaleUpOnly = True
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaling = Game.GameData.LevelScalingOption.CritPath
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaling = Game.GameData.LevelScalingOption.All
Game.GameState.Instance.LevelScaling = Game.GameData.LevelScalingOption.None

To change difficulties

import Game
Game.GameState.Instance.Difficulty = Game.GameData.GameDifficulty.PathOfTheDamned
Game.GameState.Instance.Difficulty = Game.GameData.GameDifficulty.Hard
Game.GameState.Instance.Difficulty = Game.GameData.GameDifficulty.Normal
  • Like 3

I reached lvl 10 and I notice that the game is way too easy even on high difficulty.
(No challenge, my characters are able to win 90% of the fights even without my assistance)

I really regret that I did not activate Level Scaling at the beginning of the game.
Is there any way to activate Level Scaling in my game?
If possible without loss of achievements.
(I really do not understand why this option is not available after the start of the game, it looks like a big design error)

P.S.
PoE had the option of increasing the difficulty if the area was destined for lower lvl than lvl of your characters.
Is there any special reason why it is not present in
PoE II ?

i have level scaling on, with it set to only scale up and i'm finding the same thing on veteran difficulty. I've been wondering if maybe i optimized my guys too well, or if the game was actually a lot easier than PoE 1.

Edited by Niml
  • Like 1

i have level scaling on, with it set to only scale up and i'm finding the same thing on veteran difficulty. I've been wondering if maybe i optimized by guys too well, or if the game was actually a lot easier than PoE 1.

I'm not sure if it makes me feel better or even more upset. :geek:

Anyway, I'd still like set "Level scale up" in my game.

I found content somewhat challenging prior to level 12, but im not sure if it was gear, or level but it started getting ridiculously less challenging, i rarely have to actually give orders to my guys, just letting them do their ai scripts to devastate everyone.