Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part III

Josh oh snap

Mymla posted:

Tbh I'm not really convinced the writers know how souls work, either.
We do. I described it in detail for our internal team.

Ranger stuff i think

also looks like you actually have to single class Ranger to get Twinned Shots now and there's a melee version.

We did a bunch of martial shifting to put beefy abilities in at 7th level, then at 8th/9th. Twinned Shots and Whirling Strikes are both above 7th.

josh on DT/Pen changes

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Ropekid wanted everyone to constantly do math on which weapon is fractionally better vs what armor and to then switch weapons all the time, but, since no-one played his game correctly he had to make the system more punishing.

I have explained here and elsewhere the reasons for the changes, which were due to 1) player feedback that DT felt mushy, which made those players feel like they weren’t clear on when it really made sense to switch weapon/damage types and 2) player feedback and internal feedback that high damage attacks (e.g. a dragon’s breath) made DT largely irrelevant 3) making low damage attacks that penetrate armor requires DT bypass, which was clunky to design around and fed back into the first issue: when is it advantageous to switch damage/attack types vs. staying with what you have?

The first implementation of DT/Pen was severe because I was trying to make the drop very clear and compelling. I.e., I was trying to address the player complaints. It was too severe, so we made the progression milder. It can be made milder still through modding, which is something we put a large effort into supporting.

I don’t know why you seem to believe I’m making these changes out of some personal frustration with how people play the game. Much like your (literally, from you) feedback about the lack of counters in the game caused me to pursue the keyword counter system, other players’ feedback made me re-examine DT, rest mechanics, Resolve/Might, and a bunch of other things.

I think it’s fair to characterize me as incompetent if you don’t think I’ve achieved what I set out to do, but I do think it’s unfair to characterize me as someone who designs things out of pettiness or maliciousness.
Edited by draego

http://gdcvault.com/play/1024996/Rules-of-the-Game-Five

Josh’s part picks up at about 42m. Click with caution: Josh tries to recover but he accidentally drops a major spoiler.

• Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Josh’s part picks up at about 42m. Click with caution: Josh tries to recover but he accidentally drops a major spoiler.

The spoiler is for POE1 not 2.

Like the opening joke based on previous speaker. Obsidian yall are almost there give or take a few years of patches. You can make it. Hope this game works out.

In his talk he talks about the philosopher background/i dont believe in anything payoff at end of game "i knew it". That was my first full play through and cool moment. :)

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

The spoiler he meant to share was for POE1. The one he blurted out and hastily tried to cover with redirection was for POE2.
  • Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The spoiler he meant to share was for POE1. The one he blurted out and hastily tried to cover with redirection was for POE2.
I completely missed the spoiler for Deadfire then. Good for me?
  • Like 1

Do you mean when he calls the player "killer" regarding the four faction figureheads? I'm not sure if that is an actual spoiler or merely a Freudian slip. But hey, it's a possibility (and it could always be both). :grin:

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Where the heck is the main thread for discussion about the epic twitch Q&A from yesterday? 

I couldn't find it so i'm posting here...

At around the 22 minute mark of the video, Josh admitted to multi classing to be stronger than single classing... in general, certain weak multiclass combinations notwithstanding.

:huh:

At around the 22 minute mark of the video, Josh admitted to multi classing to be stronger than single classing... in general, certain weak multiclass combinations notwithstanding.

No he didn't. He said

"I think it's less likely that multiclassing, overall, is going to be worse the single classing, or vice versa"

i.e. in general neither has an obvious advantage over the other. He does mention that certain multiclass combinations will probably turn out to be overpowered after release and that they can tune them in patches.

He also said

"I think that single class felt, like, fairly far behind, even though they had higher power levels and access to higher level abilities sooner, they still felt like they were kinda losing out because they didn't have anywhere near the same number of abilities."

Notice the use of the past tense combined with the reason for them feeling weaker being lack of abilities. Its clear he thinks that giving them the extra ability at each new power level solves this.

• Like 4

Its clear he thinks that giving them the extra ability at each new power level solves this.

Which I generally agree with. Multi-class characters are going to have a lot of fantastic syngery and more options in combat, but single class characters will still be the purest form of the class, with earlier and more access to higher tier abilities. The only problem is how it will shake out when you are max level and everyone has access to power level 9 stuff, regardless of single or multi-class. But by then the game is over for the most part, so it probably doesn't matter. Also even in that case, a single class character had access for hours and hours of gameplay before the multi-class would have, so in many ways single class characters are early adopters and beta testers for new abilities. :)

Where the heck is the main thread for discussion about the epic twitch Q&A from yesterday?

Josh “admitted” to the possibility that certain multiclass combinations might be “really powerful” and subject to future tuning.

Are you genuinely confused about what was said or are you pushing some agenda?

Edited by Achilles

Do you mean when he calls the player "killer" regarding the four faction figureheads? I'm not sure if that is an actual spoiler or merely a Freudian slip. But hey, it's a possibility (and it could always be both). :grin:

That wasn’t what he initially said. That’s what he tried to cover his ass with. But yeah that’s the part I’m referencing :) Edited by Achilles

Its clear he thinks that giving them the extra ability at each new power level solves this.

Which I generally agree with. Multi-class characters are going to have a lot of fantastic syngery and more options in combat, but single class characters will still be the purest form of the class, with earlier and more access to higher tier abilities. The only problem is how it will shake out when you are max level and everyone has access to power level 9 stuff, regardless of single or multi-class. But by then the game is over for the most part, so it probably doesn't matter. Also even in that case, a single class character had access for hours and hours of gameplay before the multi-class would have, so in many ways single class characters are early adopters and beta testers for new abilities. :)

Multiclasses can't get any skills above PL7. So single classes should keep the advantage in pure power, which has to be made up with clever synergising in the multiclass case.

• Like 2

Multiclasses can't get any skills above PL7. So single classes should keep the advantage in pure power, which has to be made up with clever synergising in the multiclass case.
I’m not sure why people keep missing this point.
  • Like 1

Where the heck is the main thread for discussion about the epic twitch Q&A from yesterday?

Josh “admitted” to the possibility that certain multiclass combinations might be “really powerful” and subject to future tuning.

Are you genuinely confused about what was said or are you pushing some agenda?

I'm not confused.  I'm a good listener.

At ~21:30 Josh said, "Overall, playing multiclass, in my opinion, which is just my opinion, so certainly people can disagree with it, feels pretty good.  Um, I think that single class felt like fairly far behind even though they had higher power level and access to more-to higher level abilities sooner, they still felt like they were kinda losing out because they just didn't have anywhere near the same number of abilities."

I'm not confused.  I'm a good listener.

You might be a good listener, but you don't seem to know the difference between past and present tense. Josh was talking about how they felt before the change.

I'd go listen again.  I believe you're mistaken.