Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part III

There#s a quiestionnare out where you can fill out the choices you made in PoE. It will be summarized so you can see how the rest of the community handled the choices.

Link: https://t.co/WbPC3sKbYF

That's a bit of a weird poll, given that some of the answers seem incomplete whereas others seem to either interpret some options pretty liberally or straight-up misinterpret the ending in question. To the best of my awareness the Devil never forgives Harmke for example, you simply convince her that he's not the one she's looking for - this is extremely crucial to her character as her capability of forgiveness would have allowed her to rise above her thirst for vengeance, and instead if she does not kill Harmke she merely goes on an even bloodier killing spree in hopes of fulfilling that need. Maneha's interpretation as her forgetting meaning she "lives life to the fullest" is also weird as to me the following makes it sound more like her adventuring ways are a means for her to live in denial of her past: "She moved too quickly for regret to catch up with her, and she hoped only that she might outpace it in the next life, as well." Is this an official poll or one made by a user?

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

There’s a post Harmke dialog option that reads something like, “I thought you’d feel better now that you’ve forgiven him”. Which felt out of place at the time, but still way less jarring than how it was presented here

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

There#s a quiestionnare out where you can fill out the choices you made in PoE. It will be summarized so you can see how the rest of the community handled the choices.

That's a bit of a weird poll, given that some of the answers seem incomplete whereas others seem to either interpret some options pretty liberally or straight-up misinterpret the ending in question. To the best of my awareness the Devil never forgives Harmke for example, you simply convince her that he's not the one she's looking for - this is extremely crucial to her character as her capability of forgiveness would have allowed her to rise above her thirst for vengeance, and instead if she does not kill Harmke she merely goes on an even bloodier killing spree in hopes of fulfilling that need. Maneha's interpretation as her forgetting meaning she "lives life to the fullest" is also weird as to me the following makes it sound more like her adventuring ways are a means for her to live in denial of her past: "She moved too quickly for regret to catch up with her, and she hoped only that she might outpace it in the next life, as well." Is this an official poll or one made by a user?

It's official. The result will be posted on the Obsidian blog.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

It's official. The result will be posted on the Obsidian blog.

That is... Most curious. And weird too. I can only guess it was not made with the writers' input, but no matter. I replied to it.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

That is... Most curious. And weird too. I can only guess it was not made with the writers' input, but no matter. I replied to it.

My guess would be that those elaborations (of questionable accuracy in some cases) were added to make the available survey choices stand out/seem more interesting. They also didn't include any of the White Marches companions in the drop-down selection for blood pool sacrifices and they only implicitly addressed the matter of broken promises to the gods by allowing us to select one of the two "pledged to multiple gods" options. As far as oversights go, I didn't see any option for Watchers who didn't pledge themselves to any of the gods (as was the case for several of my Watchers who completed the game) unless that's what the "I pledged to all the gods equally" answer is supposed to represent. Between this survey's available answers in that regard and Sawyer's posts on the same subject, I suspect that the official interpretation is that doing any of the gods' quests and subsequently receiving their assistance in surviving to reach Breith Eaman constitutes some sort of pledge to them, but that seems to conflict with the actual promises that they solicit from you and that you can decline to make.

I was a little surprised that they bothered to note the distinction between sacrificing the orlan baby and giving the distilled essence potion to Simoc vs sacrificing the orlan baby and poisoning Simoc anyway, though I still suspect that the latter choice won't introduce any unique reactivity.

They should have double checked this survey. A lot options that were in the game were not there. I never do the Raedric questline in my games, but I forced to either choose an outcome for it or choose "I don't know."

Same thing on almost all the Twin Elms questions :(

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

As far as oversights go, I didn't see any option for Watchers who didn't pledge themselves to any of the gods (as was the case for several of my Watchers who completed the game) unless that's what the "I pledged to all the gods equally" answer is supposed to represent. Between this survey's available answers in that regard and Sawyer's posts on the same subject, I suspect that the official interpretation is that doing any of the gods' quests and subsequently receiving their assistance in surviving to reach Breith Eaman constitutes some sort of pledge to them, but that seems to conflict with the actual promises that they solicit from you and that you can decline to make.

I remember it being reported that if you complete all Gods’ quest you survive the fall, even if you didn’t make a promise to any of them. Josh said a while ago, that it is impossible to survive the fall without making a deal with one of the Gods - I assume it is a bug. Never attempted it myself.

Edited by Wormerine

That survey basically made me go ‘wow....ummm there’s a lot of crap I didn’t do in the game!’

Also when I beat the game I felt terrible for letting gilded vale down. I was like come on!! I already killed that guy I thought I saved you dudes already !! I will sail to the Deadfire with my head hung in shame.

As far as oversights go, I didn't see any option for Watchers who didn't pledge themselves to any of the gods (as was the case for several of my Watchers who completed the game) unless that's what the "I pledged to all the gods equally" answer is supposed to represent. Between this survey's available answers in that regard and Sawyer's posts on the same subject, I suspect that the official interpretation is that doing any of the gods' quests and subsequently receiving their assistance in surviving to reach Breith Eaman constitutes some sort of pledge to them, but that seems to conflict with the actual promises that they solicit from you and that you can decline to make.

I remember it being reported that if you complete all Gods’ quest you survive the fall, even if you didn’t make a promise to any of them. Josh said a while ago, that it is impossible to survive the fall without making a deal with one of the Gods - I assume it is a bug. Never attempted it myself.

If that it is a bug, it's a very well supported bug. Once you've completed even one god's quest (irrespective if you pledge to them), you have a quest update pointing you to burial isle to jump into the pit (and you survive). Narratively, completing the quest is what grants you their trapped souls on the island to carry you down, the pledge to become their champion is something extra.

• Like 2

If that it is a bug, it's a very well supported bug. Once you've completed even one god's quest (irrespective if you pledge to them), you have a quest update pointing you to burial isle to jump into the pit (and you survive). Narratively, completing the quest is what grants you their trapped souls on the island to carry you down, the pledge to become their champion is something extra.
Huh. Interesting. Once I get to the end of my current play through I will try different things and see what happens. I was convinced you need to pledge alliance to one of God’s to get their soul’s support.

Huh. Interesting. Once I get to the end of my current play through I will try different things and see what happens. I was convinced you need to pledge alliance to one of God’s to get their soul’s support.

I'm about 90% sure that's the case. I don't have any saves at a point where I can fire it up and quickly check though, so I'd be interested to hear whether I remembered right.

Just did it. No other purpose than comparing, right?
Well...maybe give us a hint at which decisions are going to carry over into Deadfire.

If that is the case, then we'll be seeing Uariki (the apprentice in Cragholdt) again.

sign.jpg

I'm about 90% sure that's the case. I don't have any saves at a point where I can fire it up and quickly check though, so I'd be interested to hear whether I remembered right.

With my most recent save I made promises to Hylea, Rymrgand, and Skaen before destroying the souls after all (which Skaen surprisingly didn't seem to mind in terms of the ending slides I got, despite advocating that I send the souls off to Woedica), but my prior two Watchers didn't make promises to any of the gods and finished the game just fine. I had completed all of the gods' quests in those games, though, so I can't say whether just finishing one of the quests is enough.

• Like 1

Step 1: Pray to a god and receive their quest

Step 2: Complete their quest

Step 3: Return and receive their sworn souls. After this dialog they will ask you to make a pledge re: how to manage the souls that Thaos has been stealing for Woedica. You can decline.

Source: recently got the achievement for completing all the gods’ quests

• Like 1

Well...maybe give us a hint at which decisions are going to carry over into Deadfire.

If that is the case, then we'll be seeing Uariki (the apprentice in Cragholdt) again.

I’d put money on it :)

I’d put money on it :)

I would too, especially since she said something along the lines of being in Craghöldt in the first place for wanting to help the people on her island. Sounds like the island in question will be part of the Deadfire.

• Like 1

This is huge (my own survey looks like a bug compared to this), but regarding the Animancy Hearings question, you either suport animancy, outlaw animancy, or don't remember. The duc in fact could be neutral about it...

What happened to Vela, the baby orlan?

I gave the baby to a family that would take care of it, and killed Simoc.

What what what?

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

What happened to Vela, the baby orlan?

I gave the baby to a family that would take care of it, and killed Simoc.

What what what?

Yea, that wasn't an option anywhere. Perhaps a trigger bug? 

Yea, that wasn't an option anywhere. Perhaps a trigger bug? 

Check the results, so many people picked this one!

EDIT: https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-83FTDGN58/

Well, what people chose doesn't necessarily equal to what they did in the game.

And there is also no such option here:

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Sacrificial_Bloodlines

• Like 3