Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part III

I think I'd like an option to toggle VO. Maybe VO is on by default at the start of a conversation, but then I can turn it off once I've gotten the first few lines. At some point I'd rather just read at my own pace, which I find far more engaging after I have a character's voice in my head.

I wonder where I should float this suggestion. I'd like to not have to completely disable it, but somehow dial it back.

Most every game I played has a seperate audio slider for voice/music/effects, so I'd be surprised if they didn't do that here.

Yeah, that's always a fall back. But I do want some VO. I wouldn't mind having a setting though we're you can quickly toggle off VO within a dialogue scenario, but then it's back for the next conversation without you having to turn it back on.

Another option is that the VO could turnoff if you try to skip forward.

I'd like both options, but my preference is the first one. Basically a hotkey to toggle it, and a setting that always resets VO to be on at the end of a dialogue sequence.

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/?ref_url=https://s9e.github.io/iframe/tumblr.min.html

New update on how they plan on approaching VO. The part about it being an owner's decision is somewhat worrying

This is the first thing in the entire POE development that set off alarms for me. If you've played The Secret of Monkey Island HD, you know that voice-acting dialog written for text can kill otherwise good writing. Text has an...eveness of tone that allows you to have enormous range without telegraphing or playing it up. Voice tends to double down on the dominant emotion - sad-tinged stories become SAD, jokes become FUNNY, etc. Of course this can change with the talent involved, but the announced actors primarily work in anime and aren't renowned for naturalistic dialog, so if the issue exists at the script level it's going to come across in the voice acting.

I think I'd like an option to toggle VO. Maybe VO is on by default at the start of a conversation, but then I can turn it off once I've gotten the first few lines. At some point I'd rather just read at my own pace, which I find far more engaging after I have a character's voice in my head.

I wonder where I should float this suggestion. I'd like to not have to completely disable it, but somehow dial it back.

Most every game I played has a seperate audio slider for voice/music/effects, so I'd be surprised if they didn't do that here.

What is the "owner" level? Obsidian's choice, or more specifically the CEO's level?

I think, while your opinion is valid, you should not be too worried about it. Doing VO after most of the work was done is only very rarely a bad decision. You should not worry that we have dialogue texts like Skyrim. PoE is still very dialogue-driven.

However it does seem that the delay was at least partly due to the increased VO, which is an unusual move as it is rather costly and not the best selling point for a game. So I guess you could either see it as a free gift from Obsidian to show how much they care. Or something to offset the time they need to deal with glaring issues. :D

What is the "owner" level? Obsidian's choice, or more specifically the CEO's level?

Owners:

Faergus Urquhart

Chris Parker

Darren Monahan

Chris Jones

Not sure if Chris Avellone is still part of the ownership or if the others bought his shares when he left the company.

But those are the guys who made the decision.

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

regarding voice overs:

It is nice to have, but it is not the main selling point to me.

In some games it felt strange when there was a dialogue and some of the characters were voiced and others were not.

I assume that the main character will not be voiced because you can create millions of possible chars.

Well, many games such as DA:O did this and I think it will not be a problem.

And of course there are different kinds of sequels. While Oblivion is a sequel to Morrowind, it is more a successor mechanic wise than story.

They aren't just successors in term of mechanics/concepts, unlike the FF games, the Elder Scrolls games share the same world and follow each other chronologically. Arena to Oblivion is just 44 years apart. Skyrim is 201 years after Oblivion.

Only in the absolute loosest sense. For all it has to do with Morrowind Oblivion might as well be a Final Fantasy game, cracks about St. Jiub in one line of dialogue aside.

Loosest sense? There is a few recurring NPCs across game (Uriel Septim, Hesleth, etc). You visit dungeons/areas in Skyrim, Morrowind and Oblivion that you could visit in Arena. You start Oblivion in the same prison/dungeon you started in Arena, goblins included. The games refer to the events of the previous games and some hint to future games too. The lore stays the same across all the games as well and each new game is just further on the same timeline.

Well an old balding vaguely British man is in the prologue of two games, and two entirely different regions, one a tropical rain forest and the other a pastoral temperate forest, are both called Cyrodiil. I guess that kind of counts.

Helseth actually had plot relevance so I'll give you that but that's just Daggerfall to Morrowind. The rest is meaningless. I guess since the games recycle the same in-game books for twenty real life years makes it easier for people to think they're at all connected but it's basically a different plot with a different generic fantasy world each time. Except for Morrowind.

Really it's only slightly more valid than acting like all the Final Fantasy games are one great continuous epic because Gilgamesh is in a bunch of them, and the developers have made some feeble effort to say VII and X and Tactics and XII are all in the same setting in vastly different time periods.

Not sure why "At the owner level" is an ominous sign since Obsidian isn't owned by a publisher. The decision to crowdfund PoE at all was at " the Owner Level"

Edited by The Sharmat

Not sure why "At the owner level" is an ominous sign since Obsidian isn't owned by a publisher. The decision to crowdfund PoE at all was at " the Owner Level"

Sounds like code for “a decision Josh wouldn’t have made”.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Or more importantly, it’s a decision Josh couldn’t have made. While it is possible he wouldn’t do that, or he would invest in something else, we just don’t know so let’s not assign made up motives and viewpoints to people who didn’t express such. It is especially important as this quote comes in context of altering his writing because of full VO, and it’s brought up as an explanation of why full VO didn’t have an influence on his writing.

• Like 8

Or more importantly, it’s a decision Josh couldn’t have made. While it is possible he wouldn’t do that, or he would invest in something else, we just don’t know so let’s not assign made up motives and viewpoints to people who didn’t express such. It is especially important as this quote comes in context of altering his writing because of full VO, and it’s brought up as an explanation of why full VO didn’t have an influence on his writing.
Right because he isn’t an owner.

He could have, just as easily, answered the question without mentioning the owners. I think it’s interesting that he did. Doesn’t mean I’m pissy about the decision or the VO.

I’m sure Feargus is eager to have feather in his cap for future negotiations with publishers, as a fully voiced indie game of this size probably carries weight.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I will say that in the stream recently with the guy in the armor, at one point towards the end he was chatting with some characters in the dungeon and I actually appreciated the hell out of everything being voiced, and I'm one that normally would say "just voice a little of it and let me read the rest" but something about it felt really good. If the entire game can feel like that I think full VO is going to be a huge boon. I can't see it being a negative since the VO came after the writing was done, and you can always disable voices and/or skip past them if you read faster than they talk, as well.

In related to the topic news, a bit about how late game Wizards/Druids/Priests end up with quite a few options as they accrue spell levels.

• Like 3

He could have, just as easily, answered the question without mentioning the owners. I think it’s interesting that he did. Doesn’t mean I’m pissy about the decision or the VO.

I’m sure Feargus is eager to have feather in his cap for future negotiations with publishers, as a fully voiced indie game of this size probably carries weight.

That's I mentioned the context of this statement. If it was all by itself: "Hey Josh! What made you go for full VO? - Hey, it wasn't me! It's was the owner's decision!" but it makes sense to mention it in the context of his reply: "No, full VO didn't influence how I wrote this game. How do I know? When I was writing I didn't know full VO was a thing. Why, if you are the project director? Because people who can give funds for this kind of feature decided that after I wrote most of my thing"

I know that the story of owners meddling with creators is a common theme, but it feels very off, especially when owners give to the project, rather than take something away. "Hey Josh, I just multiplied your VO budget and... -HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY WORK!"

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 5

as a fully voiced indie game of this size probably carries weight.

This is not an indie game.
*confused*

Obsidian is a mid-size independent developer who is making a game using a combination of self-funding and crowdfunding.

Unless you’re operationally defining “indie” some other way

• Like 3

That's I mentioned the context of this statement. If it was all by itself: "Hey Josh! What made you go for full VO? - Hey, it wasn't me! It's was the owner's decision!" but it makes sense to mention it in the context of his reply: "No, full VO didn't influence how I wrote this game. How do I know? When I was writing I didn't know full VO was a thing. Why, if you are the project director? Because people who can give funds for this kind of feature decided that after I wrote most of my thing"

I know that the story of owners meddling with creators is a common theme, but it feels very off, especially when owners give to the project, rather than take something away. "Hey Josh, I just multiplied your VO budget and... -HOW DARE YOU RUIN MY WORK!"

Hehe, well that certainly is one extreme.

I’m sure there’s a whole spectrum of displeasure to choose from (ranging from mildly put-out all the way up to rage quit).

I agree that “creator meddling” is certainly one narrative. Per the post you’re responding to, I don’t think that it’s applicable here. I think Feargus wants to be able to point to Deadfire as the crown jewel of Obsidian and is pulling out all the stops he can to achieve that.

• Like 1

"But we could have used that money to add MOAR CATS!"

-Josh Sawyer, probably  :p

Per Obsidian's "indie-ness," it's a 100+ person studio that gets a majority of its funding via contracts with big publishers (but that also has one independently-funded project).  That's not EA, but it's a ways off from the "indie" stereotype of a few dudes/gals working on a game in their basement.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 6

"But we could have used that money to add MOAR CATS!"

-Josh Sawyer, probably :p

Per Obsidian's "indie-ness," it's a 100+ person studio that gets a majority of its funding via contracts with big publishers (but that also has one independently-funded project). That's not EA, but it's a ways off from the "indie" stereotype of a few dudes/gals working on a game in their basement.

:)

I can’t help stereotypes.

• Like 2

I agree that “creator meddling” is certainly one narrative. Per the post you’re responding to, I don’t think that it’s applicable here. I think Feargus wants to be able to point to Deadfire as the crown jewel of Obsidian and is pulling out all the stops he can to achieve that.

But... that's good, right? And why wouldn't he? PoE is their own IP - the better it does, the better they do. If we follow this thread, and assume that previous susicion that Josh doesn't support full VO is true - than Josh doesn't want Deadfire to be Obsidian's crown jewel...? 

• Like 2

But... that's good, right? And why wouldn't he? PoE is their own IP - the better it does, the better they do. If we follow this thread, and assume that previous susicion that Josh doesn't support full VO is true - than Josh doesn't want Deadfire to be Obsidian's crown jewel...?
I *suspect* (read: I don’t know), that being able to point to a fully-voiced game helps Feargus when pitching his studio to publishers.

As for whether that means more VO is categorically “better” I direct you no further than the half dozen active threads on the first page of this subforum. The consensus seems to be that there is no consensus. Many people seem to be of the opinion that more != better. It’s *possible* that Josh falls into that camp. It *might* explain why he decided to include that tidbit in a response that didn’t require it. Doesn’t mean I’m right. Doesn’t mean Josh doesn’t agree. It just seems like a really weird thing to bring up in that way unless you don’t think it was the best idea ever.

*confused*

Obsidian is a mid-size independent developer who is making a game using a combination of self-funding and crowdfunding.

Yes, I can understand that you are confused.

You seem to think all independent game companies are indies. They're not.

Indie companies have small budgets and few employees (less than 25 atleast).

So no, Obsidian is not an indie.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I *suspect* (read: I don’t know), that being able to point to a fully-voiced game helps Feargus when pitching his studio to publishers.

Not sure why that would be a factor.  It's not as if it's a technically challenging thing to pull off-- it's simply a function of the amount of resources committed to that element of the game.  Why would publishers be more likely to make a deal with Feargus based on his ability to hire more voice actors and book more studio time?  "Knows how to spend more money on a game" is probably not a positive factor in the eyes of the folks who are considering fronting the money to make a new one.   

Also, Obsidian has made fully-voiced games before.  New Vegas; Alpha Protocol; South Park (I think). 

• Like 2

*confused*

Yes, I can understand that you are confused.

You seem to think all independent game companies are indies. They're not.

Indie companies have small budgets and few employees (less than 25 atleast).

So no, Obsidian is not an indie.

You’re gonna be so shocked when I tell you what word “indie” is a bastardization of.

Not sure why that would be a factor. It's not as if it's a technically challenging thing to pull off-- it's simply a function of the amount of resources committed to that element of the game. Why would publishers be more likely to make a deal with Feargus based on his ability to hire more voice actors and book more studio time? "Knows how to spend more money on a game" is probably not a positive factor in the eyes of the folks who are considering fronting the money to make a new one.

Also, Obsidian has made fully-voiced games before. New Vegas; Alpha Protocol; South Park (I think).

It shows that you have experience with logistics on that scale. It’s the same reason that project managers want to have million-dollar projects on their resumes.

Having not worked in the industry, I only know what I hear and based on my understanding, the VO is normally handled by the publisher (with input from the developer)