nfl 2018-2019

Gromnir

So Packers signed a punter. They had plenty of picks obviously, but I thought Justin Vogel did a good job last season so I was really surprised. But then I read that the special teams coach wasn't a big fan of Vogel.

Packers needed to stack up on cornerbacks and got two of the four top rated, which also includes an extra pick in the first round 2019. It's all good in my book. Now here's hoping the secondary won't be abyssmal when the season starts.

Vogel had decent hang times, and that's pretty much it. His punting average was abysmal (31st, IIRC), but his net punting average was a little below average (22nd, I think) as a result of his decent hang times - lot of forced fair catches. JK Scott and Michael Dickson (who was taken a little before us) were two of the better punter prospects that have come out in some time, so I can sort of understand trying to shore up the position - field position is a pretty important (albeit somewhat hidden) stat. As for the cornerbacks...we'll see. I hope we're lucky in that one of them is ready to play at an at least average level immediately, but our previous CB picks don't inspire confidence.

As always, the most important draft grades come 4 years after that draft is over.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Vogel had decent hang times, and that's pretty much it. His punting average was abysmal (31st, IIRC), but his net punting average was a little below average (22nd, I think) as a result of his decent hang times - lot of forced fair catches. JK Scott and Michael Dickson (who was taken a little before us) were two of the better punter prospects that have come out in some time, so I can sort of understand trying to shore up the position - field position is a pretty important (albeit somewhat hidden) stat. As for the cornerbacks...we'll see. I hope we're lucky in that one of them is ready to play at an at least average level immediately, but our previous CB picks don't inspire confidence.

As always, the most important draft grades come 4 years after that draft is over.

Got it! I'm no expert in general and specifically not when it comes to punting. So I'll take your word for it.

As for CB:s,yeah, the track record isn't awesome, but I'm hoping atleast one of the two new guys is a boom. But it's true that it'll show for sure in a few years.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

At his own request. I guess he didn't feel like competing...or I guess he thought competing against our new guy was a longshot - he signed with the Browns to compete there instead.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

At his own request. I guess he didn't feel like competing...or I guess he thought competing against our new guy was a longshot - he signed with the Browns to compete there instead.

Oh, didn't see that he requested it himself. Is this common practice by players? To ask to be released I mean.

I guess he felt he didn't have a chance at making the team. But still, sends an odd message, doesn't it?

It's not unheard of, but not exactly common - it's something players can do when they feel they have no chance of being the starter and wouldn't be satisfied with being a backup (though in the case of punters, you never keep a backup punter, so more like he felt he was going to get cut by the Packers eventually and doing it now would give him a better chance of making it on another team, and hey, now he's competing for the job on the Browns, so it worked).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sweetness woulda' been 64 today.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/all-time-greats/0ap3000000476696/Walter-Payton-career-highlights-NFL-Legends

john mckay, first tampa coach, would make all his teams watch The Perfect Play by a RB.  were a devastating block by walter, resulting in a 3 yard pass.  different time.  different cat. happy birthday sweetness.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm not expecting much from the Seahawks this year; maybe 7-9. They've had too many sub-par drafts in a row, still have a mediocre O-line, and they got rid of Sherman and Bennett -- two excellent defenders. Ah well. I still like Coach Pete Carroll though, and I'll bet he'll get the team turned around in a year or two. Maybe.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It doesn't help that Chancellor retired(?) and Earl Thomas seems to be pretty adamant about not playing for the Seahawks as well and the offensive line is almost certainly going to be bad again.

I'm not expecting much from the Seahawks this year; maybe 7-9. They've had too many sub-par drafts in a row, still have a mediocre O-line, and they got rid of Sherman and Bennett -- two excellent defenders. Ah well. I still like Coach Pete Carroll though, and I'll bet he'll get the team turned around in a year or two. Maybe.

Yeah, Seahawks are clearly rebuilding and lost some cornerstones of their team. I'd actually go so far and say they need a good overhaul of the team as there seemed to be a lot of locker room frustration last season.

For posterity: Jets will go 6-10, Sam Donald will start no more than seven games, Josh McCown will be gone next off season, and their first round draft pick will be spent on a linemen.

McCown gone next season isn't really a big shocker given his age.

I think Jets will be interesting, especially regarding how well Bridgewater performs. I think the Jets could be a positive surprise this season.

Edited by Mannock

Jake Ryan (Packers) seems to be out for a long time. This really sucks. Packers were thin in the LB department even before this and now it's just a catastrophe if Jake is gone for much of the season.

*edit*

Torn ACL. Splendid. :/

Edited by Mannock

• 2 weeks later...

rat finks and pundits say pre-season don't matter, but

four turnovers and 15 penalties, inauspicious start, said few Angelinos into their kale lattes

would likely give the nod to Shimonek over Cardale or Geno for backup QB given this season has to be Rivers' odds-on injury year

Hunter Henry is already done with a torn ligament, so

All Stop. On Screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought the old national anthem policy worked best: the players and coaches were in the locker room during it, it still got aired, and nobody thought twice about it. Instead Goodell wanted all the players and coaches on the field during the anthem as a part of his efforts to make the NFL look more family friendly when taking over as commissioner. Like all Rodger Goodell ideas, this one didn't at any time bite him in the butt. kappa

I find it super interesting that such an indivdualistic country as the US of A have such a collective approach to the national anthem.

McCarthy was in vain, the communists won. :p

But in all seriousness, I back all the players that takes a knee during the anthem.

Footbaw is back baby! As is my tradition, I have been completely avoiding anything NFL related outside of the draft, but the bombshell the Raiders just dropped was impossible to ignore. I'm just stunned. On the cusp of the season starting, the Oakland Raiders just traded away their best player, and got maybe 30 cents on the dollar for him. What the ****!? Their justification for making one of the worst trades I've seen in years is that they couldn't afford to pay both Carr and Mack, so they chose maybe the 13th or 14th best QB in the league over a once or twice a generation level linebacker. Just... *gasp*

Anyway, congratulations to the Chicago Bears for the early Christmas present they just received.

As for my Boys, we're headed for 8-8 again aren't we?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think they will be lucky to see a .500 record.

The Mack trade cost sounds high to me. Two 1st rounders and 100+ million contract with 90+ million guaranteed! And hes already 27! I dunno man.

Yeah, but they're getting a second rounder in return. If the Raiders are awful and the Bears are good, which is at least somewhat plausible, that 1st rounder for 2nd rounder might be only moving up like 8 or 10 picks. What are the odds that either of those 1st round picks gets you someone even remotely as dominant as Khalil Mack? Not great. Also, 27 isn't that old. Ray Lewis played until he was like 70. When someone hands you the opportunity to get arguably the best linebacker in the league during his prime, you take it.

Edit: Before anyone jumps down my throat, I realize it might not be fair to compare Khalil Mack to Ray Lewis. I mean, Khalil Mack hasn't stabbed anyone, that I'm aware of. :p

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks