That TV Topic

Blarghagh

Tonight's episode of Westworld? Ho boy. Best episode of the entire series thus far, but I may be biased as a big fan of Ed Harris.

Noooooo The Expanse. Why, just why. But garbage stays on air? What's wrong with people?

It looked promising to me, but I kept putting it off, so perhaps I'm partly to blame. Would seem at a glance that its ratings were rather mid-ling for a show that I would imagine was as expensive as something like Westworld or Game of Thrones (what it may lack in marquee actors its budget makes up in the SFX department).

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Lethal Weapon renewed with Seann William Scott coming in to replace Clayne Crawford and supposedly playing a new character. No more Murtaugh and Riggs .

Apparently that Crawford guy was a terror on the set. I like Sean William Scott (and Damon Wayans) so hopefully the show can recover.

First episode of Netflix "original" series The Rain. Kind of post-apoc predictable with what appears to eventually be mostly a 20-something cast/angst, but the first episode was watchable enough I'll try another two episodes and see where it goes. The English dub was horrifying, if you try it stick to original language/subtitles.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tonight's episode of Westworld? Ho boy. Best episode of the entire series thus far, but I may be biased as a big fan of Ed Harris.

It was certainly a very well made episode. Terrific, in fact. And all the writers had to do was leave Dolores, Cyclops and Maeve out of it. *sigh*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Don't worry, they'll be back next week.

At this point - across all tv shows - I kinda feel like everything becomes same-y in a way. It's like that same story progression mechanic is shared by every bigger tv show now. Don't think I had noticed that one or two years ago. The way the cast is rotating per episode, at which point they are using a flashback episode, etc...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Speaking of which, strong episode tonight. Idle thoughts:

-As mentioned by Lexx, we're back with Maeve and Dorito tonight.

-It took me quite well into the beginning sequence to work out what was going on, right about the time Musashi handed that Tetsubo to not-Armistice. Still, had a giant grin on my face once I figured it out.

-Was howling on the floor at the bit when Armistice came face-to-face with her dopplebot.

-Still, in spite of them not showing up in the preview I hope to see more William and Emily in the next episode.

-Am counting down to a Reddit s***post of a screencap of Marsden's ass with the title "Absolute unit."

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

"From the director of the Fast and the Furious."

I was never a huge fan of the original show or anything remotely like it, but still...no, just no. Just make a new detective show, Hollywood, stop trading on name recognition.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finished Agents of Shield Season 5.

Would have been a perfect series ending. Now with the Season 6 renewal... eh... meh.

Sorry, can't see this working without Coulson. He's (was?) the main reason I watch(ed) this show.

Edited by majestic

Tahiti is a magical place, as often as needed.

Would love more Lucifer but am blinded by Lucy Liu in a black, double-breasted suit and tie. And heels, I think, might have been wedges. Or flats. Have no idea, she's so charismatic I can't see straight.

All Stop. On Screen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(TV_series)

Guys this is a brilliant series and highly recommended if you haven't been watching it  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Started watching The X-Files Season 11. The first two episodes had more action scenes and shots fired than the entire run of the show so far. Not digging that so much.

Especially since Mulder and Scully kept gunning down, evading and beating up a group of highly trained and heavily armored security contractors. Riiiight. Fox "I lost my gun" Mulder going toe to toe with mercs. Psssh.

Getting a bit annoyed with Westworld lately, because I'm not much a fan of the constant flashback twists and introduction of more confusing story elements.

Also I'm puzzled how they can revive some hosts, but others apparently not, despite them not having more serious injuries. Where do they draw the line here, except plot armor?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Watched the first episode of a S. Korea drama (it's on Netflix) called Live (at least that's what Netflix calls it). For much of the time there's no background music at all, giving it a different/rougher feel. Focuses on a few characters who can't find/make FT employment who end up joining the police force.

I liked it a fair bit, seems like a series that may start off a bit slow/deliberately paced but by the end you'd be all "fantastic show!" ... promising start anyway.

Getting a bit annoyed with Westworld lately, because I'm not much a fan of the constant flashback twists and introduction of more confusing story elements.

Also I'm puzzled how they can revive some hosts, but others apparently not, despite them not having more serious injuries. Where do they draw the line here, except plot armor?

I'm just hoping that

Cyclops ends up shooting Dolores. In an ideal world they'd shoot each other but that's probably not going to happen. Well maybe Maeve can sacrifice herself for her "daughter" later down the line.

As for the reviving the hosts, well, that's probably still possible just not feasible right now, what with the chaos and all, and DELOS sure has no interest in reviving them. All they really care about is their little side project.

The more fun question than what timeline is when is who's a real host and who's a transfer that might not be aware of it. It seems like Bernard is subject to the host's rules (as seen in Season 1) but could be a copy of Arnold made with early transfer tech. Otherwise why have Dolores check him for fidelity. Ford probably used her to test Bernold because Will said that these tests are best done by familiar faces - and bringing his actual family would have been somewhat awkward.

Edited by majestic

Rosanne+Twitter=cancelled show=lulz.

• Like 1

1. her twitter post = dumb

2. ABC et al reaction = dumb

3.. The only real loser her eis me as I miss out on a funny entertaining show over silliness.

4.  Roseanne gets dumped because she made a dumb attack on a Liberal  yet her show on the two most important serious topics  is clearly left leanijng (on issues that are right) ie. the handling of her grandson  and her Muslim natures.

But, overall, agree with lady Crimson, no matter what 'side' you are on...  this is definitely lulzy.

P.S. Will FOX pick it up? Maybe they can pair it with LMS. :p

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'd say the biggest loser is the cast & crew of that show, although a substantial number already resigned in protest before the axe dropped.

Knee jerk reacting morons, and Disney being Disney's usually evil self.

That said, the show has a high chance of being picked up by another network, if enough of the key cast members are still on board. I'd wager all but possibly Sarah Gilbert or even Rosanne herself are.

And that said.... holy smokes are we living in a poop laden world when someone's tweet (no matter how distasteful (a subjective thing)) gets a very successful TV show cancelled ~24 hours later.

The increasing chilling on speech and the continuous rise of perpetually offended is going to yield uglier and uglier things should it continue. Unfortunately it seems like we're still pushing that petal ever closer to the metal as a society. The cliffs be yonder!!