That TV Topic

Blarghagh

Korra has croutons of brilliance inside a soup of disappointment. Season 1 was pretty good other than the annoying love triangles, season 2 has the fantastic episodes about the first Avatar but nothing else, season 3 is okay and season 4 I can't even remember - there was a giant mech piloted by Zelda Williams at some point? Compared to the original show, which had maybe two or three meh episodes and was great next to that, Korra just doesn't compare. The worst thing about Korra is that it bleeds potential, but it bleeds it to death.

• Like 1

Rewatching Tour of Duty on Youtube, but with the licensed music out it just isn't the same. The intro music replacement is just awful.

I presume the Youtube version is 'unofficial'- it was on TV here last year (and is on DVD) with the original soundtrack reinstated. Definitely a program which has aged well, but I wouldn't even bother watching without Paint It Black et alia to be honest.
Yeah some guy subbed them in Spanish,has that awful intro tune with the flute like instrument. Just search for nam cap 1

Show does hold up well, even if it gets too melodramatic in season 2. Great ending episode though where no one gets a happy one

Damn that guy did the same for a lot of shows

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Same here, tbh. I'd love to go over the books now, but I feel like it'll be better to be strong and not to do this.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My wife and I watch FaceOff, to me it seems geared towards women more. I don't know why, just the vibe I guess but it's interesting and not boring at all.

I really want to start The Crossing which looks pretty good. I don't knw how the ratings have been, probably low but who really cares about ratings/reviews anyway.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

My wife and I watch FaceOff, to me it seems geared towards women more. I don't know why, just the vibe I guess but it's interesting and not boring at all.

I'm guessing this is not a TV version of the Nic Cage/John Travolta flick, then?

• Like 1

So I started watching Dark Matter and wondered why the show is so weird. Looked it up on wikipedia and yup, of course it is a canadian SyFy show. Already suspected this after the first episode. SyFy's science-fiction shows are all the same. Heck, I dare saying that all SyFy shows in general are all the same.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So I started watching Dark Matter and wondered why the show is so weird. Looked it up on wikipedia and yup, of course it is a canadian SyFy show. Already suspected this after the first episode. SyFy's science-fiction shows are all the same. Heck, I dare saying that all SyFy shows in general are all the same.

Fair warning, Dark Matter ends on an unresolved cliffhanger. It's three seasons of good fun at a breakneck pace with hilariously tropey characters though. Loved every second of it. :)

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I caught up on the 2 hour season finale of The Expanse and it was fantastic. Im really battling the temptation to spoil the hell out of myself and go read the synopsis's (<-is that right? It doesn't look right) of the books you guys are referring to. :lol:

Don't do it. As you can see in the final episode of this season, whatever comes next is totally new. So let yourself enjoy it fully when the show comes back.

Unless you want to read book 4. If you started the books in any other book, coming from the tv show, there would be some inconsistencies, but going from season 3 to book 4 might actually work pretty well.

sign.jpg

I'm guessing this is not a TV version of the Nic Cage/John Travolta flick, then?
Nah, it's about makeup artists who make sci-fi/horror masks, reality competition type show lol

I really want to start The Crossing which looks pretty good. I don't knw how the ratings have been, probably low but who really cares about ratings/reviews anyway.

It's been canceled, just so you know.
I'm not surprised lol Everything I like is basically cancelled. Revolution, Inhumans, The Quest... I know how to pick them ;)

It's sad when good shows get canceled due to being unable to pull an audience.

The Quest being based on old school D&D was an amazing fantasy/reality hybrid tv show where people compete to he the true hero of EveRealm.

https://youtu.be/RIFHo28M6a8

EDIT: So while everyone is sleeping I started Breakout Kings, only because of Serinda Swan being in it really and she's become my fav actress. It's axtually really good, had no idea that it is in the same universe as PrisonBreak, another show I enjoyed. I was like... T-Bag???? Link????? WHAT lol I shoulda known since the title but whatever.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Finished Season 2 of Goliath. For some reason, this show is super binge worthy for me. Season 2 wasn't quite as good as 1, but honestly I just watch it for the great cast interactions and it was still a hit in that way. Story got a bit muddled and ended weirdly, but hopefully it was just to set up the next one.

Heh, I found a somewhat amusing piece of tv trivia out.

Apparently when filming Malcolm in the Middle, the writers discovered that Bryan Cranston was utterly shameless and willing to do pretty much anything they put in the script. So they started a background competition to see who could write something into a script that he wouldn't do. They'd put in things they were sure they'd get rid off when he complained or said he wouldn't do it... but.. each and every script, he'd cheerfully agree  and go ahead.

This included learning how to roller-skate over the course of two weeks when they put in that his character had been a roller disco champion and he had to do a dance on skates.

Then reached its peak when the writers group got together as a whole, and purely as a joke asked him how he'd feel being covered in thousands of bees. His casual "Sure" sent them back to the writers room, where they wrote an entire script purely on the basis of getting the one sight gag of his character wearing a suit of living bees because they didn't want to admit it was a joke and they didn't have any script involving it yet.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Just saw the preview for the anime adaptation of the 5th part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Vento Aureo. The animation looks really good, and if the rest of the soundtrack is similar to the track used for the preview, it's going to be great.

I got through the second season of Legend of Korra. I will tentatively give the third a try. Funnily enough, it seems I took like a week break right before the actually kinda okay part of the season began - I hope this isn't a pattern where the first half to two thirds of each season suck because they're being weighed down by an endless cascade of nonsense silly stuff before the more important stuff kicks in in the latter half of the season. I guess I'll soon find out. I think Airbender had a little better ratio of important vs. silly stuff, and it was better sprinkled throughout rather than occurring all at once like Korra seems to be doing. I don't particularly enjoy feeling like the first 6-8 episodes were completely pointless (and not very enjoyable) to watch.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Right before Avatar Wan was where I had stopped - Korra had lost her memories, and I was basically like, "FML, these next episodes are probably gonna all gonna be about Korra." But then it wasn't, and when it came back to Korra, she finally started acting like a reasonable human being again. I'm not asking for much of Legend of Korra here - if you don't have completely terrible and/or pointless episode plots and utterly unreasonable characters, I'll probably keep watching...but it's been really up and down in both areas so far.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Amy Adam's Sharp Objects looks good, might just take a gander ;) ;)

1st season was the worst, and time travel is inherently confusing hence it being 'slammed'. I haven't seen the 4th season but it's definitely worth watching up to then. I do prefer the movie, but that movie is one of my absolute favourites.

I finished watching the final season (4th) of 12 Monkeys tv show about time traveling based loosely on 1995 movie starring Bruce Willis.

An excellent show, one of the rare occasion that a series gets better with each subsequent season.

If anyone likes sci-fi and time traveling themes this series is a sure bet to watch.

Yes, the 4th season was even better than the third. I liked the first one because, as far as I could tell, there were no serious inconsistencies. But it's time travel, so who knows... And then it just got better over time.

sign.jpg

Tried the first episode of Mr. Sunshine via Netflix (historical/political, romance). What interests me more than anything is that they seem to have contracted to show the series close to on-air dates. That is, it's not the entire series at once, you have to wait for episodes just like on Dramafever or Viki. If Netflix can get/do more Asian dramas like that, that could be cool.

Anyway, the 1st episode was decent. High/gorgeous production values, ala Goblin (I think the writer and director of Mr Sunshine also did Goblin and Descents of the Sun). But not quite as compelling off the bat as Goblin was - I suppose I just personally like a bit more fantasy is all. A lot of setup with multiple chr-arcs, which for once I didn't find hard to follow but it did make me feel a tad impatient here and there with too many drawn out "sad" scenes when we have no identification yet with chrs, if you know what I mean. But I like the setting and it's enough to keep me interested to see how it develops.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts