The Movie Thread Returns

Amentep

Does having liked/enjoyed something really need justification?

It helps. If you don't know why you like things, then it's harder to figure out what else you might like or to talk about it with other people.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Does having liked/enjoyed something really need justification?

It helps. If you don't know why you like things, then it's harder to figure out what else you might like or to talk about it with other people.

Oh I get that argument, which is valid enough to a certain point. I just mean - it's like wondering why you like beef over chicken. Is it important to know in great detail, or is the fact "I just like the way it tastes better, in most dishes" enough to go on? I could analyze all kinds of physical and psychological reasons why I grew up liking beef instead of chicken, but not many outside of culinary chefs do that - but then we make up for it by analyzing films, books, sports, etc. to death. Not sure what the difference is.

I've never been a connoisseur of anything tho - I know my general tastes (which change from time to time and largely = "I find this boring and that not boring) which may help me decide whether to give a film a shot, and that's enough for me usually - I just go with the flow from there. :)

Anyway, it's not a big deal, sometimes I just find the psychology of why humans tend to feel this need to quantify/isolate in depth even our casual entertainment (or anything, really), interesting. A side effect of our environmental/survival curiosity perhaps.

Edit: My husband is very much not in this vein/has influenced me in this regard - 32 years of asking him "did you like/why do you like" and getting largely "yes/no, I dunno, does it matter" in response. :biggrin:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Little Shop of Horrors (80's) is on amazon prime. I love love that movie! *turn volume up*

My kind of musical.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Painkillers on Netflix. Ooh, it's got that guy in it who's in pretty much every sci-fi show out!

And it's terrible. Like, I started watching it at 9 AM today, it's 3:20PM now. I've only made it 1 hour 20 minutes and can't stand to actively watch it. It's one of the dullest B movies I've ever seen. I simply can't stop myself from calling it out. From the time they are under fire, so they decide to jog away until the firing stops, to them spending like 10 minutes taking cover behind a single line of rusty barrels that couldn't stop a strong wind. The movie isn't futuristic at all, but for some reason one guy's very basic rifle scope does some weird scanning thing complete with obnoxious computer noises. Or how about the place it's paused now, where our hero has knocked some woman unconcious, but she's clearly smiling while laying on the floor as if thinking "oh yay, acting!"

Edit: Onto Taking Earth. I have never seen acting this bad. It's like everyone barely knows how to speak english.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I Am Dragon (On Drakon) via Amazon Prime (subtitled)

A fantasy/dragon rif on Beauty and the Beast. So basically a romance I suppose, only less mushy than some and not Disney-fied. Mostly a two actor show. Special effects are decent/adequate. Avoids too much cheese except towards the end perhaps. Not bad for what it is, I didn't turn it off anyway...the description made it sound lol'worthy and I clicked it out of curiosity, then enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Imdb's user average of 6.7/10 is probably fair for the genre.

Edit: Oh, I also watched that new Cloverfield movie on Netflix. I didn't find it that horrible. It's full of sci-fi/horror cliches and is nothing special but it's not even close to being a "worst" of anything. it's watchable but mediocre. But when two previous (better) films build up a bit of mythos/anticipation about monsters and alien invasions I can understand why disappointment might be high. The last 5 second ending scene was pretty lol worthy tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Green Room - via Amazon Prime (Anton Yelchin, Patrick Stewart)

Small little thriller/horror film where the actor names are the primary reason I turned it on. This one's actually fairly decent. I mean, nothing new, right, but entertaining enough. Seeing Anton still makes me sad, Patrick had some jolly fun playing the cold leader/owner of a neo-Nazi clubhouse. It's not horror in the sense of boogey-men, just a group of people get trapped into a bad criminal situation and trying to escape it. Anyway ... I liked it. Maybe a B+ from me.

Green Room - via Amazon Prime (Anton Yelchin, Patrick Stewart)

Small little thriller/horror film where the actor names are the primary reason I turned it on. This one's actually fairly decent. I mean, nothing new, right, but entertaining enough. Seeing Anton still makes me sad, Patrick had some jolly fun playing the cold leader/owner of a neo-Nazi clubhouse. It's not horror in the sense of boogey-men, just a group of people get trapped into a bad criminal situation and trying to escape it. Anyway ... I liked it. Maybe a B+ from me.

Maybe is because I don't watch many movies anymore, but I remember loving the heck of out Green Room as a stand out from the usual crap.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

These two guys were at the Black Panther opening. Too funny

DWHvBjnXUAEzxwF.jpg

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Watched three films at the cinema recently:

I, Tonya  

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Florida Project

The first was rather forgettable (am I the only one who's tired of biopics? Definitely gonna skip Darkest Hour), the other two were both brilliant in their own way. The Florida Project is as good as any film made in recent times, very strange not to see it nominated for best picture at the Oscars.

Watched three films at the cinema recently:

I, Tonya  

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

The Florida Project

The first was rather forgettable (am I the only one who's tired of biopics? Definitely gonna skip Darkest Hour), the other two were both brilliant in their own way. The Florida Project is as good as any film made in recent times, very strange not to see it nominated for best picture at the Oscars.

I was hoping The Florida Project to make more of an appearance there as well. Shame. I have heard good things about I, Tonya though and also agree that Three Billboards is superb.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

stuff

belated response:

is few sins which we find more unforgivable than slavish devotion to canon.  if a writer or director or artist is gonna utilize source material as 'posed to original material, then they better shoot for better than the source.  proclaim loyalty or faith to inspirational material as some kinda crutch for failure to exceed source is the most pathetic o' excuses. we see no inherent value in accuracy replicating source material.  do better (different ot otherwise) or don't do at all. heath ledger's joker were our favorite big screen joker, regardless o' the heresy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BavcnnmOsjg

even liked heath ledger's performance better than jack nicholson.

as to shady opinion o' justice league, we felt the same way 'bout BvS, though our initial viewing o' BvS were the extendo' cut as 'posed to theatrical, so perhaps such made a difference.  fan reviews o' BvS were so consistent scathing that our expectations were for +2 hours o' pain.  girded our self for the worst.  other than lex luthor, we thought BvS were mildly entertaining with a few nice fight scenes and a handful o' decent performances.  haven't seen justice league yet, but we wouldn't be surprised if we had same reaction to JL as we did to BvS

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

From Up on Poppy Hill. I keep going into these always expecting to hate them, but instead I always end up at least liking them. Fairly similar to Whisper of the Heart, I think I'd put it a little lower, though, for various reasons. Still, an enjoyable watch.

Stand by Me. I don't know what it is about him, but I really, really do not like Kiefer Sutherland...so this movie got kind of close to what I imagine an ideal role in a movie would be for him. It was otherwise a solid watch. Similarly, I recently tried watching something called Dark City at the advice of a friend, and I only lasted about five minutes before Mr. Sutherland appeared on screen and I burst out laughing and had to stop watching, for the movie was utterly ruined. Everything in my head just screams, "It's stinking, lousy Kiefer Sutherland," whenever I see him on screen, and I don't know why. You'd think he'd shot my dog with how much I recoil and cringe when I learn he's in something.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.