The Movie Thread Returns

Amentep

Every kid should see Se7en when they are 10.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Historically, LA had a notoriously corrupt police and judicial system at the time the film is set.  In the 1930s (about a decade before the film was set), the LAPD had a "Red Squad" that regularly attacked and beat up (and destroyed the property of) anyone they thought was a communist.  The LAPD didn't really begin to get cleaned up until Chief Parker was elected in 1950 (about 3 years after the movie was set) but even then was considered to be too quick to use force and racist to non-whites.

This, combined with the second-class citizen status afforded Toons and the rather free reign Judge Doom was established as having, established enough that it didn't seem to be that big of a deal to me.

I think the surprise reveal isn't that Judge Doom is the bad guy (or a bad guy), but that he's actually the Toon that killed Eddie's partner.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh gosh, don't remind me. I was basically like, "Oh come on..." when that was revealed - because of course they would pile that on in a neat little cliche when it was completely unnecessary. It worked well as a plot device to help explain why Mario was loathe to work with toons, and it really did not need to follow the classic Disney "let's wrap literally everything up in a neat little bow in the last 5 minutes of the movie" type of story-plotting. Not sure why Disney has such a terrible love for doing that - it's always terribly hackneyed. Some things are better off as a short and sweet little plot device that isn't ever referenced again later. It's like if in Frozen (where this DIDN'T happen!), it was revealed that Hans had somehow engineered the deaths of the characters' parents in his scheme to take over Arendelle - that would've been so lame, and it was lame here. Their deaths worked much better as just a very simple plot device to set the movies' events in motion, which is what I initially thought his brother's death was until they brought it up again midway through the movie and I got that feeling of dread that it wasn't...

Thanks for the history, though - that definitely helps explain the setting more.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yes, so visible that I interned in Amsterdam for six months and still managed to not know where it was.

Knock, Knock (2015)+ Likeable main actors and the women are beautiful.+ You dont know how it will end.+ Thriller or Horror depending on your view. If you think how cruel it is and everything that happens I would say Horror.+ Nudity you will see breasts etc. and I certainly pay attention to them.+ Realistic.- Well it is not a super movie and a bit simple story.My vote: 7/10 good movie
Heartily recommend Knock Knock, you never know how it's going to play out.

Unless, you know, you saw the original film Death Game (1977) that Knock, Knock is a remake of.  I think most of the film comes over similarly in the remake from the original from what I've read (haven't seen the remake so couldn't confirm) excepting the coda ending.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075921/

Never heard of it tbh, not a big fan of Sondra Locke, but I'll see if I can get to check it out somehow, cheers Amentep :)

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Oh gosh, don't remind me. I was basically like, "Oh come on..." when that was revealed - because of course they would pile that on in a neat little cliche when it was completely unnecessary. It worked well as a plot device to help explain why Mario was loathe to work with toons, and it really did not need to follow the classic Disney "let's wrap literally everything up in a neat little bow in the last 5 minutes of the movie" type of story-plotting. Not sure why Disney has such a terrible love for doing that - it's always terribly hackneyed. Some things are better off as a short and sweet little plot device that isn't ever referenced again later. It's like if in Frozen (where this DIDN'T happen!), it was revealed that Hans had somehow engineered the deaths of the characters' parents in his scheme to take over Arendelle - that would've been so lame, and it was lame here. Their deaths worked much better as just a very simple plot device to set the movies' events in motion, which is what I initially thought his brother's death was until they brought it up again midway through the movie and I got that feeling of dread that it wasn't...

Thanks for the history, though - that definitely helps explain the setting more.

I think that Judge Doom/Killer Toon stuff (which isn't from the book, "Who Censored Roger Rabbit" but not much of the film is other than the basic characters and set-ups) is an attempt to capture the switcheroo of who killed Sam Spade's partner, Archer, in the Maltese Falcon - for better or worse.

Never heard of it tbh, not a big fan of Sondra Locke, but I'll see if I can get to check it out somehow, cheers Amentep :)

I've not seen Knock, Knock yet - so it may be radically different despite what I've read. But I've been led to believe its pretty true to the original. I'll see Knock, Knock eventually, I'm sure!

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ah. Yeah, that definitely sounds like something that's better left set up for a different story. Sometimes you have to know when to refrain.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Game Night.

OK, EDITED OUT THE TRAILER LINK FOR Game Night, it's just too spoilerific, sorry.

Basically a comedy remake of The Game

Game Night was a really funny movie, well plotted, great acting and comedy timing. If you are not laughing, you are smiling or giggling every few minutes.

While it has a great cast, for me the outstanding actor was Jesse Plasmons as the creepy cop neighbour, who is abetted by fellow alumnus from Friday Night Lights, Kyle Chandler, who plays the straight man brother of Jason Bateman, when Kyle organises a Game Night with a difference for his younger brother, things go pear shaped rather quickly as a hunt for a Fabergé egg ensues.

A great fun night out!

Edited by Fiach

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Yeah well something that scared the **** out of me when I was kid and watched it from TV.... you know I don't get it it is not rated as Horror movie on IMDB

but I consider it more scary then many Horror movies.

Warning Sign (1985)

Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller

+ Scary effects.

+ Realistic could be tomorrow future.

+ Drama

+ Thriller

+  I certainly consider it Horror.

+ Ok actors. You can notice fear and rage!

- A little outdated old movie.

- This movie feels slightly dragged out...

My vote: 7.5/10 good/very good movie!

Edited by Terminator

Tempted to watch this based on this review. Classic sci-fi (or close to it) with an apparently all women cast...with no awful pandering (like that Ghostbusters remake), that's apparently actually good. Has anyone seen it?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Just got back from Annihilation. I really really enjoyed it. It was different than I was expecting, but not significantly so. Definitely one of my favorite films of the last few years, it very much fits my taste in movies though.

I don't want to spoil anything, and I don't want to hype it. It's a really good movie and I think it appeals to people of a certain taste. Just go into and let it speak for itself.

I will say how it differed from my expectation of it.

I was expecting something more like Aliens, what I got was more like Arrival or The Fountain.

• Like 1

The Shape Of Water was the biggest disappointment thus far.

The Mountain Between Us was good, my wife loved it. I just thought the trailer was a bit misleading. Although the name makes sense half way throughout the movie, I was expecting more of a movie like The Edge.

The Strangers 2 is actually good, despite the ratings being poor (seems like whenever horror movies are good they get poor ratings but then the bad ones get good ratimgs. Internet logic for ya!)

The new Han Solo movie looks meh. Seems like peoplw don't really care about old Han Solo anymore so I'm wondering how it will do compared to the likes of Rogue One in sales.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Yeah.,  Anything marvel or SW is gonna make a bunch of money. It has nothing to do with quality.   The fanbase is so huge that people are gonna go watch them  no matter what  people say.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well the movies they mostly show in my country more or less suck so I decided to see Black Panther.

+Black Panther... the main characters morals are likeable.

+ Duels one vs one were interesting.

+ towards ends it became better. Endbattle could have been better but was ok.

+ Action and lots of it.

Neutral: Unrealistic on many levels.

- First half of the movie with exception of one duel was so bad that I almost walked out from the movie but stayed.

- Ugly African women. Lacked any beautiful main woman actor really.

- African mumbo/jumbo.

- I am traditional like to have women with long hair ugly African women with their hair totally taken away. Even with hair they would be ugly to me.

My vote: 5.5/10 average/ok movie.'

Actually I did see this movie like 10 days ago but started now writing the review since you mentioned it.

I don't know but Death Wish and Red Sparrow might interest me were not on cinema when I watched Black Panther.

Edited by Terminator

Tempted to watch this based on this review. Classic sci-fi (or close to it) with an apparently all women cast...with no awful pandering (like that Ghostbusters remake), that's apparently actually good. Has anyone seen it?

Yes I might also watch it but not that they show that in movie theatre's in my country.

- African mumbo/jumbo.

- I am traditional like to have women with long hair ugly African women with their hair totally taken away. Even with hair they would be ugly to me.

You know, it is one thing to not be attracted to a certain race. That is perfectly acceptable. But calling them ugly because they are of that race is incredibly ugly in and of itself. Thankfully it is rare to see such blatant discrimination here on the forums. So, welcome to the forums, try not to be such a racist.  :thumbsup:

• Like 7

Yeah, that may have been just a bit harsh lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

- African mumbo/jumbo.

You know, it is one thing to not be attracted to a certain race. That is perfectly acceptable. But calling them ugly because they are of that race is incredibly ugly in and of itself. Thankfully it is rare to see such blatant discrimination here on the forums. So, welcome to the forums, try not to be such a racist.  :thumbsup:

African mumbo/jumbo I described the supernatural magical aspects... did not fit so well with SCIFI I think.

There is a line here I am not racist in that regard that I hate all black people. There are simply my personal taste in women. For example some might absolutely prefer they want one black woman with no hair if they want that then it is fine for them.

I have an Iranian friend he is from Teheran. Do not worry he does not hate Americans.  Basically he has said that he dislikes his goverment policy but there is nothing he can do about it Iran is a police state and not a democracy.

If I have such a Iranian friend we became friends in year 2017 why would I be such a super racist? Finally I rent apartments to all kinds of people a few apartments and their race does not matter really but I do check background i.e good renter etc.

With my newfound Iranian friend that speaks fluent English we plan to do a trip this year to southern Europe together... he is well educated studies in university and works part time job.

I have my taste in women. Of course I have other friends but they are really not into travelling except one friend but he almost always seem to have to bad budget and travels are more fun if shared with other people. We have plans to play football in the spring later and by the way Iran is also among countries to qualified to World Cup Football 2018  that will played in summer 2018. We do sports together, see movies together, talk how to get perfect wife and everything else you can share with a good friend. He also plays Magic The Gathering with me and my friends. I have also a couple times tried now real Persian food his race is Persian.

Edited by Terminator

Bitch (2017)

+ Comedy yes I rarely laughed.

+ Drama it is a bit sad...

+ Thriller... you know can it became dangerous?

+ Cute fun kids.

Neutral: I don't know but the big boss pretty much is an Avatar of a nightmare boss, but I guess it was not going good for the company so perhaps there was no choice.

- does not evolve to some super story.

- cruelty.

My vote: 6/10 ok movie, but a bit strange movie.

Lunacy, craziness...

Edited by Terminator

I have an Iranian friend he is from Teheran. Do not worry he does not hate Americans.  Basically he has said that he dislikes his goverment policy but there is nothing he can do about it Iran is a police state and not a democracy.

If I have such a Iranian friend we became friends in year 2017 why would I be such a super racist? Finally I rent apartments to all kinds of people a few apartments and their race does not matter really but I do check background i.e good renter etc.

I thought we were already over the whole "I can't be racist, I have a lot of friends of colour" argument?

Anyway, thank goodness the filmmakers care about actresses for how they *act* and not for, y'know, how they satisfy the libidinous needs of the side in the male audience that can't keep it in their pants.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden