The Movie Thread Returns

Amentep

If Lara had been raped in the movie, I would have also walked out.

My point was: she should NOT have been captured AT ALL. Once the screenwriters wrote her into that situation, then they basically wrote themselves into an unwinnable lose-lose situation: if she got raped, then audiences would be disgusted and repulsed; if she did not, then the outcome would be unrealistic and unbelievable.

So, why don't you guys tell me: if a woman was actually in that situation, what do you think would happen to her? Realistically? Honest question.

The movie should have NEVER written her into that situation, (i.e., getting captured by a gang of violent criminals.)

Edited by ktchong

if it's anything like the games, she should've just brutally murdered them all

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Ironically:

In the 2013 video game, if Lara was captured alive, it would be GAME OVER.

In the game, she was almost captured once, by a Russian mercenary, who immediately tried to rape her  - and she killed him and escaped, i.e., he was her very first kill in the game and her life.

If she was not able to kill him and escaped, she would be raped - and it would be GAME OVER.

So the game had a more consideration for realism than the dumb movie.

If Lara had been raped in the movie, I would have also walked out.

My point was: she should NOT have been captured AT ALL. Once the screenwriters wrote her into that situation, then they basically wrote themselves into an unwinnable lose-lose situation: if she got raped, then audiences would be disgusted and repulsed; if she did not, then the outcome would be unrealistic and unbelievable.

So, why don't you guys tell me: if a woman was actually in that situation, what do you think would happen to her? Realistically? Honest question.

The movie should have NEVER written her into that situation, (i.e., getting captured by a gang of violent criminals.)

Well the movie is based on the 2013 game, iirc, it starts with Lara tied and bound suspended from a ceiling, so anything could have happened pre-suspension I guess.

Either way, not enough wildlife were pushed to hear extinction , to make the movie anything like the Full Croft Experience :)

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Something had me thinking about Lucky Number Slevin this morning, and then I saw it in a charity store this afternoon so I picked it up and re-watched it.

Josh Harnett as the lead, Bruce Willis as a mysterious world-class assassin, Sir Ben Kingsley and Morgan Freeman as rival crime bosses, with Lucy Liu and Stanley Tucci fleshing out the supporting cast.

How weird, I too was in a charity shop at the weekend and had a similar dilemma, LNS or The two Thing movies as a Blu-ray boxset, went for the Thing instead, as it's something I would watch with my son's, as I'd seen LNS and my kids wouldn't be into it imo.

Josh Harnett I a very underrated actor, The Faculty, BHD, Sin City 30 days of Night are all personal favourites for me.

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

The Greatest Showman was a so-so film - with fantastic music and songs.  IMO it has the best songs of all the movie musicals I've seen.

Not enough rape though. 1_0_by_babblingfaces-dbdhcc6.png

In all seriousness, however, what little I've heard of the songs have made me want to gouge my eardrums. Really awful tripe.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Wow, regardless of factual basis or not, that discussion sure was creepy.

Anyway; Downsizing.

What a waste of concept and cast. Doesn't seem to know what kind of movie it wishes to be, so it meanders from a one plot to another and never amounts to anything. Also bludgeons you over the head with eco-friendly messages in such a way that I, person who subscribes to green beliefs, wanted to go grab some quarter pounders from a drive-thru and throw the containers right out the side of car window just for being so preachy about it.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Rewatched Six-String Samurai.

Formerly ruled by the late King Elvis, Lost Vegas - the last remaining holdout of the American Dream after the United States were defeated by nuclear fire - calls out to all musicians to join an epic rock'n'roll battle to determine who succeeds him as The King. Among many others, Buddy, a virtuoso with both the guitar and the katana, heeds the call and makes his way across the wasteland, but Death, ever determined to claim the rock throne with violence and heavy metal follows him everywhere...

Actually officially available for free (well, with ads) on YouTube, although the video quality is not so great:

And yes, it pretty much is as awesome as it sounds. ;)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Ready Player One. Garbage. Pure garbage. Hardly any positives. Likely the worst Speilberg movie I ever watched.

Saw the movie, I went in expecting pandering garbage and came out pleasantly surprised. It is quite a decent movie and AI is still Spielberg worst movie.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

AI was fantastic. So underrated and underappreciated. Crystal Skull isn't great or memorable but  it is an okay way to past time with an old favorite. RPO is just pure garbage with little redeeming qualities and  lackadaisical pandering.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Porco Rosso. I thought it was very good with the exception of the girl mechanic, who was written (and treated by other characters) very bizarrely. The movie was a little up and down because of that, but it was still overall very good.

​The Tragedy of Man. I know I wrote about this one not too terribly long ago, but I had to re-watch it. A truly strange (but oddly captivating) animation that's just incredibly, incredibly unique - I doubt I will see its like, a time-traveling and philosophizing Adam torn between the rational and scientific Satan and a unknown and uncaring God, anywhere else. I wish I could find the BluRay of it, but it is on neither Amazon or eBay, nor anywhere else from what I have searched.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.