Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do We Really Need Multiplayer?

multiplayer single player video games news

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

itsLDN

itsLDN

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:I itsLDN I
I like multi player FPS but tend to get bored on MMORPG. Online Co - op RPG I can dig. Used to love playing BG2 but also loved playing NWN online with 30+ randoms.

In fact, spent many a year playing NWN on servers. Much more than I spent playing the SP campaign.

I think a game should be fully fleshed out for SP before they even consider adding mostly pointless online aspects.

Online only works for over watch but battlefront had many upset customers because it was online only. Possibly because of the universe and star gate franchise that people want to immerse themselves in.

I used to enjoy CoD SP but mainly got the game for online mode. Probably wouldn't have even minded not having a CoD SP myself.

So if SP is up to par then I have no issues with online aspects but would probably prefer a bigger focus on adding more to SP

algroth

algroth

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 607 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It really depends on the game, from my point of view. There are times I'd love to have multiplayer on Pillars of Eternity simply because there's some people who I'd be interested in playing it with as co-op, but it's never been more than a thought and I can see how the story is better served to fulfill a single-player experience over a multiplayer one instead. The MMORPGs I played I didn't enjoy in the slightest, not least because I find that in the games I played it was rare for the larger portion of the playerbase to actually roleplay and not use it as a glorified chatroom, and content elsewhere felt lacking. However, I do not see how the multiplayer element isn't crucial for more competitive PvP games like multiplayer FPSes or MOBAs - it's the fact that you play against other players who are equally interested in winning, improving, adapting to every challenge and so on that keep them challenging, diverse and hence *fun* for so much longer.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2547 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I met two of my oldest and closest friends from gaming online but that said I'm a pretty anti-social gamer and as such there is no value added with a multiplayer mode. I've never played a game and thought that adding MP would be a boon but I have played a few games with multiplayer and wondered if they might have been able to otherwise improve it further without the MP requirement. I realize some games most likely have dedicated MP staff and budget so that there is no impact on single player but I can't help but question it like day 1 DLC.

Messier-31

Messier-31

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1873 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Multiplayer is great for multiplayer dedicated games like WOW, Unreal Tournament series, Overwatch, etc. (That's a no-brainer)

Adding multiplayer to other titles only makes sense if the gameplay benefits from it, like in real time strategies eg. StarCraft. Roleplays are probably one of the least groups you would want/need a multiplayer option, because it takes devtime and funds away from doing the singleplayer properly. It also brings a lot of questions, say "who does the NPC talking?" or "how do we all pause in a rtwp?". As you can see this doesn't apply to hack-n-slash Diablo types.

I give this meh/10.

Jozape

Jozape

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Where does only single player game come back from exactly?

If you google you can find there was multiplayer in infinity games and also neverwinter game series where it was a primary part of the experience.

In general a role playing game is always multiplayer except you can substitute primitive and scripted AI for the dungeon master. Your companions are controlled by the player, but I imagine some people would much prefer being able to go on an adventure with their friends or SO.

Yes, many of the Infinity Engine games had multi-player as did the primarily multi-player Neverwinter Nights games. Most of us are aware of the existence of those games and have played them. No "google" -- that's web search and I use DuckDuckGo thanks -- needed on these forums. Most of us have also played many more older CRPGs that have no multi-player, and some of them are excellent like the Ultima games, Wasteland, Darklands, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Wasteland and Planescape: Torment are my favourite CRPGs of all time. So to answer your question, they come from more than 30 years of CRPGs.

Party members aren't necessarily controlled by the player; Many games have had optional scripts you can make and use for them. Dragon Age: Origins had some really good scripting that could be applied to any party member including the player character.

evilcat

evilcat

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 499 posts

Not all games need multiplayer, and to some degree focusing on MP means less devhours on SP -> worse game overall.

Active pause mechanic is not MP friendly.

Turn based, action, shooter are more friendly.

MP + mod support can result in long life to the game, and some people having more fun out of it.

But personally i just play game and move to another.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1107 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I've played alot of mp games but never played one that can match the experince I've gained from a single player game. Everyone has different tastes. Some of my Facebook friends who don't who outside get all their socialization from mp games. I guess it makes sense when you look at it.

evilcat

evilcat

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 499 posts

Even if all mainstream games will be MP shooters, there will be enought space for SP games.

Some SP games make really good sales, you would not gues which one (Life is Strange, CIties Skylines).

Edited by evilcat, 06 November 2017 - 04:48 PM.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3697 posts

I reckon Cities Skylines would make for a fun multiplayer experience. Whether co-op using the same resource pool, or as competing mayors in the same gamespace, it'd be a hoot. I mean, Theme Hospital had some entertaining (and trollish) multiplayer and that was 20 years ago.

Katphood

Katphood

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1665 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Do I want a single-player campaign in Wolfenstein 2? Yes

Do I want multiplayer in Wolfenstein 2? Absolutely not.

Do I want a single-player campaign in the next Battlefield game? ....not really.

Do I want multiplayer in the next Battlefield game? Definitely 

It depends on what the game is aiming for in the first place. 

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3697 posts

Every single player shooter could do with a buddy just jumping around you helping you out, in the style of Saints Row's multiplayer. I mean Mass Effect has two virtual buddies tagging along with you at all times anyway, I never saw why multiplayer turned out to be some weird standalone arena thing instead of having friends in their stead. All the Mass Effect games would be a blast with drop-in Saints Row-style multiplayer. So would Bethesda games and just about every single-player shooter campaign out there.

And RTwP is no limitation, any such game worth its salt has enough difficulty customisation so that it could viably be played without pause, and there's plenty of prior art in this regard. If you can do Baldur's Gate or Crusader Kings multiplayer, there's no reason something like FTL wouldn't work.

Gizmo

Gizmo

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

... making Overwatch shine on like a crazy diamond.

Floydian slip?

• EbonyBetty likes this

Katphood

Katphood

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1665 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Every single player shooter could do with a buddy just jumping around you helping you out

True, most of them can but not all of them. Here are a few games that are a whole lot more fun if you play on your own: 

The Darkness

Singularity

BioShock

Call of Juarez

Condemned(not really a shooter but it is in first person, it has mostly melee weapons but also a few guns every once in a while)

...and then there is one game I have absolutely no idea what to make of:  the original F.E.A.R

I need some expert help with this one. *summons Fenixp*

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3132 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Kickstarter Backer

Every single player shooter could do with a buddy just jumping around you helping you out, in the style of Saints Row's multiplayer. I mean Mass Effect has two virtual buddies tagging along with you at all times anyway, I never saw why multiplayer turned out to be some weird standalone arena thing instead of having friends in their stead. All the Mass Effect games would be a blast with drop-in Saints Row-style multiplayer. So would Bethesda games and just about every single-player shooter campaign out there.

And RTwP is no limitation, any such game worth its salt has enough difficulty customisation so that it could viably be played without pause, and there's plenty of prior art in this regard. If you can do Baldur's Gate or Crusader Kings multiplayer, there's no reason something like FTL wouldn't work.

In the case that game is offered as coop and SP experience in one, the issue is most of the time balance. It's either too hard to play alone or to easy to play in a group. The Mass Effect AI was completely useless on their own. 90% of work was made by the player. For three players, it would be a breeze through. Most of the shooters I've played before they became "cinematic experience" were already too easy for me alone on hardest difficulties. I would be bored to death plating them coop.

Humanoid

Humanoid

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3697 posts

Adding the multiplayer functionality would imply some sort of attempt at balancing I would hope. But even without any changes, I reckon I'd have fun just fooling around anyway, perhaps with some self-imposed challenge (or intentional sabotage).

That said, given how some multiplayer sessions go, the addition of teammates might already have made it harder (looking at you, Magicka).

Edited by Humanoid, 06 November 2017 - 11:42 PM.

evilcat

evilcat

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 499 posts

I reckon Cities Skylines would make for a fun multiplayer experience. Whether co-op using the same resource pool, or as competing mayors in the same gamespace, it'd be a hoot. I mean, Theme Hospital had some entertaining (and trollish) multiplayer and that was 20 years ago.

I suppose it could be done. With ability to search for job in other city, and comute there. Having some resources market. Competing with fellow players on who has more happy citizens (and stealing their citzens). Building giant Gundam and sending it against enemy Godzila (ok, that was one step to far).

There is an issue, that CS games generally take a while. So it could be hard to have coherent session with that.

That seems to be power of all this MP games, that typical MP match takes just 20min, which encourages one-more-time effect, and is easy to access and plan.

There is a game Offworld Trade Company which is also economical, but very MP focused, and with short matches. Generally it is possible to make fastpacing city building game, it will just need to be a bit simplier than CS.

Katphood

Katphood

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1665 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I wish MGSV had an option for a co-op campaign, just like MGS: Peace Walker. It would be pretty fun to infiltrate a camp together with a buddy.

Nail

Nail

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Steam:Perebor
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I feel like MP part is great, but only when it's optional.
Wouldn't mind any pvp arena to test out my character build.

GM party dungeons or raids would be great too.

Same physics, same world but just an optional part of the game.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1107 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think character based single player games are awfully awkward when tacking on co-op features. For example, Halo... when characters acknowledge only one Master Chief and such, making the other player feel like a third wheel rather than a partner. I find that when devs tack on the multiplayer like that, it isn't exactly fair.

Maybe people are okay with this but they shouldn't be. Then again, I'm quite used to people settling for dumbed down game development and quality control in content and interaction for the sake of "more" features.

In the end, you will always have yourself to play with if you're feeling sad and lonely. However, there is no guarantee that you will "always" have people to play with or that your Internet won't for some reason crap out some day.

redneckdevil

redneckdevil

Psycho Hillbilly of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I have my own take on multiplayer bit my best friend loves multiplayer in any form because he needs that interaction because he's stay at home

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multiplayer, single player, video games, news

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users