What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Amazon announced Monday that it has obtained the television rights for “The Lord of the Rings” fantasy book series. Under the deal, which includes a multi-season production commitment and a potential spinoff, Amazon’s tales from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth will effectively be a prequel to “The Fellowship of the Ring.”

So, will this be the story of Frodo's little boy adventures as he wanders around the Shire? Or the story of Bilbo after he goes home to the village and sits around his porch smoking his pipe all day while the villagers remark, every birthday, how youthful he looks for his age? ... I just wonder what "prequel to Fellowship of the Ring" means.

Since I have Amazon, I'll probably check it out, but I have a hard time picturing it to end up being quality. Never know tho, I guess...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I wonder if they got the rights to The Silmarillion. Some great stories in that one.

*shudder*

literary equivalent o' being forced to chew aluminum foil.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I wonder if they got the rights to The Silmarillion. Some great stories in that one.

*shudder*

literary equivalent o' being forced to chew aluminum foil.

HA! Good Fun!

Haha, have you read it? If so, what's not to like? It's got everything that GoT has, except on a far larger scale. War, politics, betrayals....even incest! There is much potential in a story like 'The Children of Hurin'.

Admittably, I've been a huge Tolkien fan since I was 13 - I totally get why it isn't for everyone.

Edited by Thingolfin

have indeed read it.  combine worst aspects of the prose edda and the bible, and then leave unfinished for somebody else to complete.   scope is immense, but lacks any kinda narrative focus.  tolkien's prose, even at its best, were never particular compelling, but for the silmarillion... is like reading seminary school textbook. 'course we has beat this horse to death over the years.  am suspecting amentep could do a fair job o' imitating a typical Gromnir tolkien criticism as we has been repeating on interplay/black/isle/obsidian boards since 1999.

have never been a fan o' tolkien fiction, but the silmarillion is the nadir o' his artistic efforts. that said, if am looking for insights 'bout sir gawain or beowulf, tolkien is the definitive source. brilliant scholar and an adept crafter o' myth. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

STD's going on a hiatus until January. The past few epsiodes barring the timeloop disaster have been better entertainment than the earlier ones. Michael has become less of an **** (although she's still far from being truly likeable) and even Captain Malfoy has a softer side to him that hints at how he's become a Starfleet captain in the first place.

Some of the actions of the crew, Starfleet officers* and some design choices are still completely stupid (hint: don't make sensors that are supposed to be placed in an enemy vessel blink and beep conspicously) and of course it's still not Star Trek, but that's it probably never going to be for as long as this Klingon war is on and I don't want to beat that dead horse... again.

This week's offender being the Vulcan Admiral. One might not be able to win the Kobayashi Maru test but I think he failed it. Completely.

So, here's to hoping for a better second half of a season.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Here's the cast of the Amazon's recently announced LotR show:

VnOSlQz.jpg

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Caught the latest Lucifer episode, that was an interesting perspective to take, especially for that whole 'over the course of time since the show started' arc hidden away. Throw in a nice turn for what Hell is like for normal people.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

In todays internet world I am unable to tell if this is fake or real.

It's fake.. "The multi-season adaptation will feature “new story lines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s ‘The Fellowship of the Ring,’"" NYT

There are stories floating around that they want to go way back, 2nd or 1st era and dive into the Silmarillion for more creative freedom.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I doubt the Tolkien estate would ever allow for such a diverse core cast, because Tolkien's work was largely prompted to give the United Kingdom a shared folk literature. The cultures largely reflect those peoples and interpretation and influences of that indigenous folklore. Middle Earth was supposed to be very much "A long time a go, in a land not so far away." So basing it on a modern cosmopolitan western Europe sort of goes against the spirit of the books. I don't think the Tolkien estate is progressive enough to budge.

• Like 1

I doubt the Tolkien estate would ever allow for such a diverse core cast, because Tolkien's work was largely prompted to give the United Kingdom a shared folk literature. The cultures largely reflect those peoples and interpretation and influences of that indigenous folklore. Middle Earth was supposed to be very much "A long time a go, in a land not so far away." So basing it on a modern cosmopolitan western Europe sort of goes against the spirit of the books. I don't think the Tolkien estate is progressive enough to budge.

Of course things can change...

In historic move, Christopher Tolkien resigns as director of Tolkien Estate

• Like 1

Currently watching Legends with Sean Bean, legends are cover names with a back story for agents. Sean is an undercover FBI agent, who's legends are starting to merge, bit of a Bourne Identity feel to it.

It was interesting in its way, they switched some of the feel for the second season and moved it to Europe, and then it got cancelled. So be wary of getting too deep into the arcing storyline. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Currently watching Legends with Sean Bean, legends are cover names with a back story for agents. Sean is an undercover FBI agent, who's legends are starting to merge, bit of a Bourne Identity feel to it.

It was interesting in its way, they switched some of the feel for the second season and moved it to Europe, and then it got cancelled. So be wary of getting too deep into the arcing storyline. ;)

I'm about 8 episodes in, it's decent enough and I'm a Sean Bean fan, so it's all good, I got over the cancellation of Firefly, i cant imagine the cancellation of this will be too traumatic :)

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

NERD POWER.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Watched the first episode of this "Aftermath" tv show... I knew this was a SyFy show when that strong female lead appeard.. heh. Man, that episode was so bad. You could really feel the usual SyFy formula in every single character. Not to mention the setting was really... ugh. Better not waste any more time with this.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."