What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

They did a poor woman's Magneto last year, might even have been the equivalent episode number.

I'm pretty much done with the CW superhero shows anyway, all their crises being solved in the first fifteen minutes of their seasons finally killed them for me. I probably will binge them sometime but it's four hours of the week I can do better things with at the moment.

Sounds like Amunet Black has a bit of a downgrade - IIRC her powers in the comics were mechanokinesis - she could control machines and deconstruct them to increase her physical powers.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Flash S4E5

Whew, what a stinker. The bad guy of the episode is a

poor man's Magneto whos powers can only control this specific bucket of nuts and bolts and nothing else. *sigh*

That didn't quite make sense. Can only control one bucket of metal and as Felicity said, it was a basic metal, not a special metal.

Really, the only good thing about the episode was Kiler Frost - who I'll never get tired of seeing. Flash, Supergirl and Arrow have been getting a bit weird lately.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The Grand Tour (Amazon series) - seeing those three together again, running around doing silly car adventures or making crass jokes or tormenting/teasing each other, warms my heart to no end. It's not as good as the best of Top Gear (content/ideas wise) but the guys? They're still hilarious.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Grand Tour (Amazon series) - seeing those three together again, running around doing silly car adventures or making crass jokes or tormenting/teasing each other, warms my heart to no end. It's not as good as the best of Top Gear (content/ideas wise) but the guys? They're still hilarious.

I think what carries it, is that no matter how silly or bad the content turns out to be, their sincere enthusiasm and joy in what they do together seems to shine through for most of it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So Disney is supposedly launching their own streaming service and will be pulling all their stuff from Netflix.

I gotta say if everyone is going to be launching their own stuff I won't be joining them.

I can imagine joining for a period of time to catch up on their content. I think the main users will be young families with kids. All of Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney animation classics. That's a great library to have around for your kids.

But Netflix is where it's at.

I think you'll see a lot of companies try to be Netflix competitors (like Amazon and Hulu are currently, or CBS is trying with All Access) of the traditional content providers.  Most will likely fall by the wayside with those content providers going back to a Netflix or merging with one another until you have a handful of streaming distribution channels.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think you'll see a lot of companies try to be Netflix competitors (like Amazon and Hulu are currently, or CBS is trying with All Access) of the traditional content providers. Most will likely fall by the wayside with those content providers going back to a Netflix or merging with one another until you have a handful of streaming distribution channels.

Amazon does have Prime, but it comes with a lot of other stuff. Plus you can purchase digital copies of tv shows and movies. CBS and Disney don't offer as much (at least for right now).

• Like 1

I think you'll see a lot of companies try to be Netflix competitors (like Amazon and Hulu are currently, or CBS is trying with All Access) of the traditional content providers.  Most will likely fall by the wayside with those content providers going back to a Netflix or merging with one another until you have a handful of streaming distribution channels.

Having your own service allows you greater bargaining power when putting your content on other companies' services.

I imagine Disney is probably going to work with Apple preferentially. Then use their own service for people outside of Apple's platform.

Yeah, Disney's Service is likely going to be the biggest competitor considering that includes all Disney, Pixar, LucasFilm, Miramax, Touchstone, Henson, ABC, ESPN and Marvel products and if the rumors are to be believed, will include 20th Century Fox soon. I mean, Disney dumping Netflix means no more Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Avengers, Pirates, Muppets, no Lion King, Jungle Book or Toy Story. At least for films Netflix would essentially lose all of its appeal for the general consumer.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Tbh, I like Disney's stuff more than all the excess crap that's being forced onto Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Instant Video so chances are I would gladly pay for a Disney streaming service. Heck I rarely use any of those but Disney content is usually pretty nice so... I guess I'm in.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

And at the end of the day, we're back to regular TV, just on the internet and you have to pay for every single channel. :>

I'm certainly not going to sign up to more than one streaming service, no matter what.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I dunno if Netflix would be worthless if/when Disney pulls all their stuff as Netflix has been investing more in originals for a while now.  I guess it'd depend on what all interests you though.

Right now I pay for Netflix and Amazon (I signed up for the shipping, the shows are just a bonus). I canceled Hulu because I don't watch any network TV shows that I can't already get on demand from my cable box and CBS All Access because I still get the rest of Trek on Netflix and I'm not digging Discovery. HBO Go came with the free HBO I got from my cable provider but all I watch is GoT, which is almost over.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I dunno if Netflix would be worthless if/when Disney pulls all their stuff as Netflix has been investing more in originals for a while now.  I guess it'd depend on what all interests you though.

Yeah, I sorta agree. For a long time now streaming Netflix appeal has been more about TV shows and their "originals". And the past few years, they've been adding a lot more foreign and independent films/shows (eg, subtitles...), including Asian-Orient (which is nice to me). I've never seen Netflix as the place to watch popular US box-office hits.

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, begrudgingly added Hulu not too long ago (and end up rarely watching it). I also bought an Amazonfire thingie for the large living room TV. I dislike the UI designs of most of the "apps" but oh well. I also have subs for Dramafever and Viki, but now the big 3 S. Korea networks have created KOCOWA - supposedly because of China putting a ban or something on a lot of S. Korea entertainment. That's having an impact on DF and Viki in terms of Korean shows they can offer, but I haven't subbed to it yet. They need some work and I'll wait to see what happens with them. This is on top of us still paying for "cable TV" as well, which is largely for rental access and the premium sub. channels like HBO.

In terms of Eng. speaking fare, I agree that eventually they'll all mostly suss/fight it out and there will be 2-3 biggies left standing (that'll probably cost more). Might take 20-30 years tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Speaking of Netflix, I have been watching Mindhunters and it is fantastic.

I have Netflix and Amazon (for the shipping as well, although they've also become my place to buy digital movies.) I splurged on HBO Now (or is it Go?) and I've been happy with their mix of content and newer movies. But that's probably my limit, I can't imagine holding more than 3 subs. 

It's a great time to be a content creator, I'd imagine. All of these networks are trying to attract subscribers with original content. I don't think it can last, but my hope is the cable model where a couple companies make you pay one price for a ton of content you don't want will die off soon. The problem is local news and sports are still a big pull for the traditional model.

The problem is local news and sports are still a big pull for the traditional model.

This is what ended our cable cutting experiment

That and HGTV. My wife can't live without it and we really had no good options at the time of getting without a huge bundle of other channels that we didn't want

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

I could cut cable at this point without noticing but hubby still likes to occasionally watch all those "Alaska" reality shows and HGTV is a "brain-off, just need something to stare at for an hour" channel. I don't mind subbing for a few to several streaming sites that offer stuff from multiple sources but I refuse to get anything like "CBSgo" that just has CBS stuff. That level of specialized is going too far, even if it's only $5/month, since if everyone/every channel does that it'd be even more expensive than "get almost everything" cableTV packages and I don't want to support that model.

• Like 1

Inhumans lives after all, how bout that :)

Amazon announced Monday that it has obtained the television rights for “The Lord of the Rings” fantasy book series. Under the deal, which includes a multi-season production commitment and a potential spinoff, Amazon’s tales from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth will effectively be a prequel to “The Fellowship of the Ring.”

Amazon announced Monday that it has obtained the television rights for “The Lord of the Rings” fantasy book series. Under the deal, which includes a multi-season production commitment and a potential spinoff, Amazon’s tales from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth will effectively be a prequel to “The Fellowship of the Ring.”

Is this supposed to replace GoT?

I'm not so sure how I feel about a LotR television series...