What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Heh. After two episodes of Discovery that were actually watchable (maybe even good) they of course had to... make a time loop episode. Worse, one with incredibly lame attempts at romantic comedy and humor.

There have been really fun time loop episodes (SG-1, Dark Matter) and interesting ones (TNG) but this one is so tone deaf it hurts, and to rub some salt into it the showrunners felt that Michael needed to narrate her actions so that the audience really gets what this is about. Just in case one managed to miss the enforced awkwardness of the character ever since she got assigned to Discovery.

Useless science fiction technostupid of the week: Weaponized dark matter. It's like they're not even trying to come up with semi-plausible concepts any more. Sure old Trek was soft sci-fi as well but they had people with more than a single brain cell check the scripts for such obvious faults. Well, most of the time, anyway. Didn't stop Picard from finding a planet with a surface temperature of -500° C but that entire episode (The Royale, for anyone interested) was so bad that it would be considered the worst Trek episode ever if it weren't for Voyager's Threshold.

Meh.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I just don't like when she is all in her "WHAT IS WRONG WITH MA BOI??"-mode. Hope they won't continue this in the next season.

Generally I hope that the next season won't revolve again around something bad happening to Will.

Anyhow, I generally quite enjoyed this season, I felt it was entertaining throughout (barring episode 7 which I felt was really quite silly), but by and large the question to many of the new additions is the same, really: why? Whether Max and Billy, or Dart, or El's journey to find what 'home' is, or Barb's coverup subplot, all of it could have been cut out without really changing much of the experience overall. There's not a whole lot of purpose to any of it, and in a few occasions it also detracts from the overall world too (I don't like the way El's powers were expanded upon this time around, what with her becoming something more akin to a 'mutant' than something particularly otherworldly), but for what it's worth it was largely all entertaining enough. The highlights for me were the relationship between El and Hopper, Sean Astin's wonderfully cringe dad character, and Paul Reiser.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I just don't like when she is all in her "WHAT IS WRONG WITH MA BOI??"-mode. Hope they won't continue this in the next season.

I've only seen 2 episodes so far, but if she was even marginally more cool about it, I'd be worried about her mental health. What parent wouldn't be a mess after that ordeal? She's remarkably sane as is.

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah. For TV/entertainment purposes, it might be a little overbearing, but if that were me in her shoes...well, actually, I would've just had us move the hell out of that crappy town right after the first season and attempt to convince everyone else to do the same, especially knowing that the gate is still open like she does, seeing as she literally went in and came back out of it at the end of the previous season, but yeah, that crap happening once would've probably already made me really crazy - a second time and it'd be off to the psychiatric asylum with me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Watched 2 episodes last night. I liked the first season, but I'm not feeling this one yet. I'm thinking Wynona is particularly bad so far.

Pretty much sums up my feelings after 2 episodes as well, both overall and re: W. Ryder. She has toned down from the 1st season but something about her "acting face" in this series, as a whole, rather annoys me. Which is odd to me because way back when I liked her a fair lot. :disguise: It took me a while to warm up to the 1st season as well, however. I'll keep watching, a couple episodes at a time ... it'll probably grow on me somewhat eventually.

======================================

I also tried a couple episodes of ABC's "Good Doctor." I only did so because I belatedly realized it was a US redo of the S. Korean drama series of the same name. The Kdrama version was nothing too special outside of the main lead's performance, but because I saw the Kdrama one first, watching the flashy Hollywood version made me frown a lot. It's not the worst thing ever, but yeah...I won't/can't continue to watch it. Heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Honestly I loved it. It wasn't as good as season 1, but I still binged it by accident because my wife and I kept up pingponging the sentence "just one more episode" to each other until we ran out at 4 AM on sunday. I loved Dustin and Steve's bromance (and Dustin's character in general), El and Hopper's relationship and both Paul Reiser and Sean Astin, who suprised me by both not being the secret bad guy and being super likeable.

I did have some problems, like the reveal that Dart wasn't a cute thing coming too fast and El's big city adventure feeling forced (and like it was a different show). As someone mentioned, the conspiracy theorist also didn't seem neccesary although it was funny enough for me to forgive it. That, and Mike having next to nothing to do this season despite Finn Wolfhard being awesome. His one good scene was the one with him and Hopper alone. Hope Mike gets more to do next time.

• Like 2

I mean, I liked it just because I really like the setting and overwhelmingly like the cast. Jonathan and Nancy are probably the two biggest drags of the show for me, but even they aren't bad. I have a soft spot for good and likeable child actors and good adventures, and Stranger Things puts both of them together. Yeah, it wasn't quite as good as season 1, but it was still really good.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I really liked it, probably more than the first season even though I don't believe it was as good.

I was expecting some twist from the conspiracy guy and yeah, episode 7 didn't really fit, was almost like a backdoor pilot for a spin off

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Heh. After two episodes of Discovery that were actually watchable (maybe even good) they of course had to... make a time loop episode. Worse, one with incredibly lame attempts at romantic comedy and humor.

There have been really fun time loop episodes (SG-1, Dark Matter) and interesting ones (TNG) but this one is so tone deaf it hurts, and to rub some salt into it the showrunners felt that Michael needed to narrate her actions so that the audience really gets what this is about. Just in case one managed to miss the enforced awkwardness of the character ever since she got assigned to Discovery.

Useless science fiction technostupid of the week: Weaponized dark matter. It's like they're not even trying to come up with semi-plausible concepts any more. Sure old Trek was soft sci-fi as well but they had people with more than a single brain cell check the scripts for such obvious faults. Well, most of the time, anyway. Didn't stop Picard from finding a planet with a surface temperature of -500° C but that entire episode (The Royale, for anyone interested) was so bad that it would be considered the worst Trek episode ever if it weren't for Voyager's Threshold.

Meh.

Man that was a pain to watch, I think the failure here was directing - the actors seemed really confused with their roes and the pacing and plot structure was just a complete mess. On par with The Royale indeed.

Fortune favors the bald.

Sean Astin, who suprised me by both not being the secret bad guy and being super likeable.

Yeah, I thought for sure Bob was a plant, and then I thought for sure the doc was going to kill him. Darn the show for subverting my expectations... Worse, I thought the show was too obviously hinting at his death - so much so, that I thought they were faking me out, and wasn't going to actually kill him. Then he did the old turn-to-camera-in-an-obviously-dangerous-situation and I had a second to realize that nope, they really ARE gonna kill him off. Subverted my expectations again in the worst possible way. Brutal. I liked the LotR reference by calling him "Bob the Brave" - that was pretty neat.

• Like 2

I'm torn between Mindhunters and Stranger Things, which should I watch first?

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm torn between Mindhunters and Stranger Things, which should I watch first?

I would suggest Mindhunters,, Stranger Things is on the second season, so clear Mindhunters first, then get stuck into Stranger Things.

Thanks for shopping Pawn-O-Matic!

Stranger Things 2 - More of the same. Entertaining but nothing original or deep. Some good acting. As far as I'm concerned there's only been one season since this was basically a continuation of last season anyways.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Orville is decent, humour seems childish and not that clever but its watchable and they touch some interesting topics (loved last episode with 'direct democracy') but I would take Star Gate over this any day:

• Like 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I have started Inhumans and The Gifted. I really like them both. Hated Orville and The Runaways.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I have started Inhumans and The Gifted. I really like them both. Hated Orville and The Runaways.

Marvel's The Runaways? Did it already release in other countries? IIRC the US premiere on Hulu isn't until the 21st.

The trailers seem true to the comic; what didn't you like about it?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Marvel's The Runaways? Did it already release in other countries? IIRC the US premiere on Hulu isn't until the 21st.

The trailers seem true to the comic; what didn't you like about it?

It's out over here in north America, the first 3 episodes at least.

What I like: The characters, the premise, a murder in the school, the fashion sense.

I don't like the format of the show so far, but that's not the say that it won't change. It just seemed to me like a teenage love affair type show combined with a witness interview, I just don't find it interesting as of right now... but I think out of all the Marvel shows, Runaways has the best soundtrack.

I'll keep watching as I am not too familiar with the comics but like to learn about the Runaways universe. It will probably grow on me. Still, I'm glad that it's being aired because it really is unique and set apart from other shows and I know that mystery theme will appeal to audiences. So kudos to Marvel for that :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...