Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dreaming Dreams: An Invitation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12240 posts

Synopsis #3

• Affirmation of existing forum community;
  • Affirmation/Challenge: Engagement between OBS/Community;
  • App: If going this route, do not force/make it mandatory. Recognise website user context/demographic; & focus on optional aspect;
  • Balance hub with centralised communication, but relaise people are platform loyal;
  • Better highlight existing social media platforms without necessarily centralising a one stop communicaiton channel;
  • Concern: Steam like platform;
  • Devs: Further engagement and more accessible;
  • Explore a model similar to uPlay/Origin;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that incorporates RPG into character/account;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that facilitates RPG between members;
  • Explore designing Obsidian client that facilitates cRPG  i.e. Discord/Steam connectivity;
  • Explore designing platform to share mods for future games
  • Highlight upcoming streams/Youtube;
  • Tie access to certain communities to game ownership; and,

Examples/Resources

Contributors

• Freyjai likes this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4514 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
You know, I wanted to be dragon once. Then I played Dragon Age 2.

sorophx

sorophx

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3855 posts

you could turn the forums themselves into a game. have a game, that plays itself (many websites out there with similar games, where you basically create a character and by doing certain stuff can influence his life but can't directly control him), where each forum member has an avatar. generate adventures for the avatar, and keep a journal on the user's profile page on the forums, where he can read how his character is doing (something similar to sending out vault dwellers in Fallout Shelter). 

maybe add the ability to give your character new equipment, which can be earned by doing something on the forums (be a member for a number of years, have a certain amount of likes etc.). add achievements to the forum, which are earned by the character reaching certain milestones (complete a number of objectives without dying, reach a certain level etc.). achievements will reward the user with new userpic borders, unique badges or something. 

maybe even add the ability to pit one user's avatar against another  :devil:

• Fionavar and Chilloutman like this

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

For the main site, show the most active topics and maybe even show developer responses.

About having a twitter feed with Obsidian employee accounts, ask those who are okay with this. Maybe not every employee wants to be a part of this.

When you guys post an update on twitter, fig, kickstarter or whatever, do not only post it on the main page. Also post it here in the community, where we can discuss it. You have Obsidian General, but also have Obsidian News or something.

For instance: Pillars of Eternity II gets an update on FIG that you also post in Obsidian News. That thread is also tied to the PoE II sub forum, if possible.

I like the idea of developer blogs. Give the blogs more room and a little more attention. Either video blogs or in text format. Then, you share those on all your social media accounts.

Obsidian plays should be advertised here. I don't think enough people know about it. I certainly wouldn't if I didn't use twitter.

• Fionavar, Hurlshot, Azdeus and 3 others like this

Mygaffer

Mygaffer

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
My one request is to always keep user choice in mind while designing this. I don't want to feel coerced to use your social media platform. I don't want to read things like "free downloadable content if you log in daily." I don't want access to games or games content locked behind me signing into some Obsidian.net type service.

So please make sure you are respecting your end users
  • Fionavar, SummerDay, Fluffle and 1 other like this

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10450 posts

To be clear, I was joking about your own storefront!

Too lazy to seach for 10+ year old posts, but I seem to remember suggesting that a decade ago. Where is my Obsidian logo coffee mug???

Edit to add: I can recommend Discord for those who are interested in things like "Obsidian Plays" etc.
  • Fionavar and Ethics Gradient like this

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1082 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Obsidian plays should be advertised here. I don't think enough people know about it. I certainly wouldn't if I didn't use twitter.

I think that is precisely the sort of problem of they are trying to address here.

Mikey and Aarik do a pretty awesome job keeping on top of twitter, twitch, and discord.  Josh Sawyer does his cryptic dev posts and classic bike glamour shots on instagram.  Occasionally cool stuff pops up on reddit.  And that is all in addition to obsidian.net channels, including the webpage, forums, and devblogs.  Once you're dialed into all the different information sources, you have a really clear picture of obsidian and community happenings.

But keeping up with all that is actually a bit of work from the user's perspective.  There is surprisingly little cross-talk between platforms (who here knows of the great OEW Breakfast war that ravaged Discord and Twitch? #Waffles4Life).

Communities each have their own identity, and that's totally normal and fine.  The question I see is: "How best can the community best keep informed of cool stuff going on elsewhere?"  Maybe:

- A portal, such as news.obsidian.net (News from the Eastern Reach, or something) with curated links and social media

- Better embedding of social media posts.  Getting the twitter feed displayed on the homepage, or as a sidebar in the forum listing would cover a lot of things

- Some sort of media client or new social tool as others have suggested.  Though, that is likely to run into the classic There are 14 Competing Standards issue

It is certainly a wonderful dream and imagine a unified solution.  But the best thing that can be done is probably also the easiest.  Pick an existing tool such as twitter, and use it all the time to post cool stuff and promote community and developer content.  Once fans are reasonably sure there's one social media feed that covers most of what they're interested in, other communities will just look toward it as a reliable source in the future.

• Fionavar, Fluffle and Aarik D like this

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12240 posts

Synopsis #4

Note: The input is great so far and some is now beginning to overlap. Please review what has been suggested before posting. As well, for those who have/will contribute, please let me know if my synopsis either seems incorrect or does not reflect your input.

• App: If going this route, do not force/make it mandatory. Recognise website user context/demographic; & focus on optional aspect;
  • Balance hub with centralised communication, but relaise people are platform loyal;
  • Challenge: Commit to one social media hub as the centra; 'voice;'
  • Challenge: Make sure any new GUI/HUB/Platform is choice driven by community member, as opposed to mandatory;
  • Challenge: Steam like platform;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that incorporates RPG into character/account;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that incorporates RPG into character/account & allows for actual game-play with levels/milestones on the site, perhaps even with PvP;
  • Explore designing Obsidian client that facilitates cRPG  i.e. Discord/Steam connectivity;
  • Explore designing platform to share mods for future games;
  • Explore establishing a news portal that curates various feeds;
  • Highlight: Blogs & further enhance; 
  • Highlight: existing social media platforms without necessarily centralising a one stop communicaiton channel;
  • Highlight: Obsidian Plays;
  • Tie access to certain communities to game ownership;
  • Website: Highlight active stream/social media updates & Dev interaction/posts; and,

Examples/Resources

Contributors

Fenixp

Fenixp

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1918 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Posting a literal link to a Discord chat won't work - you need to generate an invitation, set it to never expire and link that
  • Fionavar likes this

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12240 posts

Posting a literal link to a Discord chat won't work - you need to generate an invitation, set it to never expire and link that

Thanks Fenixp - I have queried Admin if they would like to do this!

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1082 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The discord invite link below is found on the Obsidian Twitch Page.

https://discord.gg/obsidian

Everyone should feel free to stop by and tell us their favorite breakfast food, which should be waffles, because there is technically no other answer. :p

• Fionavar likes this

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12240 posts

The discord invite link below is found on the Obsidian Twitch Page.

https://discord.gg/obsidian

Everyone should feel free to stop by and tell us their favorite breakfast food, which should be waffles, because there is technically no other answer. :p

Thanks Ethics Gradient! Will add it to the list.

Aarik D

Aarik D

Community Manager

• Developers
  • 3161 posts
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You know, we do have an RP Chat already existing on discord with a dice rolling bot for DnDish purposes. 

Welcome to the Sleeping Llama! Best tavern around!

• Fionavar, FlintlockJazz, Fluffle and 1 other like this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1852 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You know what the forum needs?  Separate +Rep and Agree buttons.  Because sometimes I disagree with someone but still approve of their post, but if I Like it then people often assume I am agreeing with them.

• Fionavar, IndiraLightfoot and Hawke64 like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4250 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Another forum which I've frequented a bit in the past has a pretty neat little chat message window on their front page, called Shout It Out, where peeps leave short messages and such.

Although, sometimes often nonsense, whenever something new has happened to the game, it'll surely be discussed there.

Here, have a looksie:

https://www.coh2.org/

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 21 July 2017 - 04:31 AM.

• Fionavar likes this

Viperswhip

Viperswhip

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I've kind of made my peace with Reddit, but it's not what you call easy to continue a conversation for more than maybe a week there. Forums are the absolute best for conversing with people to dive deep into an issue, which is what gaming requires. If you just want sound bytes like people screaming out of cars passing you on the highway, then stick with Twitter or whatever.

Forums are the best way to actually have a conversation that even lurkers can benefit from, that web searches to solve an issue will lead to and all other manners. Hard to use from your phone? Boo hoo.

• Fionavar likes this

Fionavar

Fionavar

Community Manager

• Global Moderators
  • 12240 posts

Synopsis #5

Note: The input is great so far and some is now beginning to overlap. Please review what has been suggested before posting. As well, for those who have/will contribute, please let me know if my synopsis either seems incorrect or does not reflect your input.

• Challenge: Commit to one social media hub as the centra; 'voice;'
  • Challenge: Make sure any new GUI/HUB/Platform is choice driven by community member, as opposed to mandatory;
  • Challenge: Steam like platform;
  • Explore designing an Obsidian client that incorporates RPG into character/account & allows for actual game-play with levels/milestones on the site, perhaps even with PvP;
  • Explore designing platform to share mods for future games;
  • Explore establishing a news portal that curates various feeds;
  • Fora: Implement Agree/Disagree/Rep buttons;
  • Highlight: Blogs & further enhance; 
  • Highlight: existing social media platforms without necessarily centralising a one stop communicaiton channel;
  • Highlight: Obsidian Plays;
  • Tie access to certain communities to game ownership;
  • Website: Highlight active stream/social media updates & Dev interaction/posts; and,

Examples/Resources

Contributors

• Ethics Gradient likes this

Tuckey

Tuckey

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Steam:Rumar
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Get rid of the like button. Better for people to have to talk to each other and explain what they like and dislike without the distraction of e-peen.

• Fionavar and Azdeus like this

Hawke64

Hawke64

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • Steam:Hawke_404
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd suggest to add buttons "Helpful", "Interesting", "Agree" and "Respectfully disagree" as it is on Paradox Plaza (the "Respectfully" part might be obvious, but, nonetheless, important).

• Fionavar and kanisatha like this

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I want more buttons. Buttons! Buttons everywhere!
  • ShadySands, Azdeus, kanisatha and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users