Also there's another gripe about ship.. it seems the ship dont look good to me. The design is so plain. Can they maybe learn from Ubisoft on how good ship looks? Sorry this is no mean of bashing. I just like the ship to look good.

Haha. Well, I wouldnt be surprised if Ubi spent more money on a ship, than obsidian on entirety of PoE2. It might be much nicer by the time it comes out, as if I remember well, it is 3D rendered space, not the usual 2d prerendered backgrounds. As it is your base it should look nice, but you won't be staring at it too much, so not a high priority for me.

In black flag or skull&Bones staring at the ship is your main view of the game.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

Didn't Adam say the art department's going on a field trip to see a real pirate ship for design purposes? It was in one of the E3 interviews, if memory serves. Maybe the base ship won't look spectacular (IIRC it's what you can afford at the beginning of the game with what is left of your fortunes after Eothas destroys everything, so it kind of makes sense that it won't exactly rock your world), but those ships you can upgrade to may well end up being badass.

• Like 5

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Wow... I hope the console port doesn't get Pillars a bad rap.

Honestly, I think the price hike by Paradox and the subsequent anger on Steam is worse than a console port... Those reviews are really bad

Was there a price hike though?  I haven't seen any evidence of it in America.

In Canada, there was a definite price hike (from 42$ to 58$). Enough to put off a few of my friends that I've been trying to recruit...

Also there's another gripe about ship.. it seems the ship dont look good to me. The design is so plain. Can they maybe learn from Ubisoft on how good ship looks? Sorry this is no mean of bashing. I just like the ship to look good.

It is a little ugly to the eye. The hull doesn't curve naturally from stem to stern, as if they took the hull and stretched it out in the middle. Plus there's almost no vertical curve to the hull. One almost expects it to handle like a barge. A clinker-built look would probably be more interesting, as would exposing the inner frame along the deck sides.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It is a little ugly to the eye. The hull doesn't curve naturally from stem to stern, as if they took the hull and stretched it out in the middle. Plus there's almost no vertical curve to the hull. One almost expects it to handle like a barge. A clinker-built look would probably be more interesting, as would exposing the inner frame along the deck sides.

Some of the artists are visiting the tall sailing ship Star of India next month. While it's a fine example of an oceanic sailing ship, it's a few centuries past the era that Obsidian is going for. I know they are limited in how much time they can spend studying actual period ships, but they should study multiple types.

For all we know, they could very well be aware of the criticism, hence the reason for the trip.

Edited by smjjames

Can't they just study pictures of historical ships? Or you know, watch Master & Commander?

Nothing like seeing the real thing for yourself though. I looked at the Obsidian main page and they're based in Irvine, California, which is 1-2 hours from San Diego. So, they could easily come down to San Diego for the weekend without cutting into work time.

It's an opportunity for them and they're taking it.

And don't forget, it's in active service, meaning that they can ride on it while it goes for a tour or something.

Edited by smjjames

They could also take a look at the Ubena von Bremen, which is somewhat similar in form (albeit without the gun deck).

This? They'd have to travel to Germany for that, and wrong time period anyway.

A caravel would be more like the small kind of ship that they want.

Or maybe a Schooner, both of which are period style ships.

Edited by smjjames

They could also take a look at the Ubena von Bremen, which is somewhat similar in form (albeit without the gun deck).

This? They'd have to travel to Germany for that, and wrong time period anyway.

A caravel would be more like the small kind of ship that they want.

Or maybe a Schooner, both of which are period style ships.

They can surely view the many photographs available on the web, which provide a number of useful details.

Agreed, a caravel would be a better fit, although most of those had more than one mast. The lanteen sails might get in the way of the deck view though.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'd be happy for Obsidian to broaden the span of history they're roughly basing Pillars on when it comes to ship types if it means we get more and cooler ships. There's no reason for the setting to exactly follow real world history, and we can explain the disparity by different cultures having different aptitudes for ship building (Vailians and Ruatai are more advanced than Adeyr and Dyrwood for example).

@Ships: Do you think there'll be different types of ships? Like, you have 1, then you can upgrade to a bigger one, and then even further to another one?

Also, Pallegina mentions at some point in the game (Don't remember if it was in a Banter between her and Kana, or if it was in dialogue, implying that Rauatai ships are "strange looking"). They have the best artillery and cannon tech.

Oooh, random event when near a shore or island, or quest stuff. Rauatai artillery bombarding your ship. Could be pretty epic, scripted interaction of avoiding the bombardments and getting closer and closer towards the beach, finalized into taking the beach and fighting isometric.

Rauatai ships are apparently incredible fast, and look weird.

Pallegina implies that Kana's pride in his nations ships is misplaced because what matters is efficient trade, which the Vailian Republics exceed at. No fast gunships.

Rauatai is a gulf so the ships probably aren't made for long distance trans-oceanic transport of goods and people.

I kind of imagine Rauatai ships being like Malay Junks.

Malaysian_Bilbo_Junk.jpg

NAGA_PELANGI_sailing_off_the_coast_of_Ku

Ships from another culture, like say, the Chinese 'junks' or injurai's example could certainly look odd or just plain different from someone used to European style ships.

Also, if your character is from Old Vailia and you talk with Kana about Rauatai ships, he makes a comment about Rauatai catamarans would run circles around Old Vailian carracks or something. I forget what ship types were mentioned in the dialogue.

@osvir: There was a funding goal for being able to obtain other ship types mentioned in a fig update.

edit: Found the line of conversation I was talking about: ""The grandest, sure. Houses on the water." Kana laughs. "Give me a sleek Rauatai ketch heavy with cannons and I'll still run circles around your Vailian carracks.""

A Ketch is a real ship type, but they're more like big sailboats and while they have been used for war in the past, they're no galleon. Plus Kana was likely exaggerating and boasting somewhat.

Edited by smjjames

Yeah, at first I was thinking Rauatai ships might be like Proa, since those are really fast. But they seem more suited to the Deadfire, and even the largest of those probably couldn't handle cannoning.

But catamarans could be very likely for the Rauatai and certainly could fit cannons. I vaguely remember Kana saying catamarans, maybe that's why I was thinking proa.

I thought Kana might have said catamaran, but the previous post which I updated, shows that he said ketch, not catamaran, going to look again if he did say catamaran.

Not seeing any mention of catamaran. *shrug*

Edited by smjjames

I had to look up what a ketch was. Those are beautiful. The also look really fast. I might be siding with Kana, screw trade when you have the wind in your hair.

Edited by injurai

Ruatai definitely is not using Junks.  They have the biggest/best cannons in the world, you can't get a compliment of cannon on a Junk.  Craploads of oarsmen can make up for bigger/heavier.

• Like 1

New video from Update 36 on Fig yall.

Nothing new really, but still interesting. I actually would have like Adam to explain or at least acknowledge the different "inspirations" or state that are affecting party members (aware, concentrated, etc).

Edited by dukeisaac

So I haven't really seen anyone else mention this from the E3 content.

The Beyond. I'm really excited to see what this has in store for us. Seems to be more than just a single level sort of "wizards domain" like in Diablo 2 Act II or Micolash's Nightmare of Bloodborne.