What are you playing right now?

I'm playing Rites of War...

The Eldar Panzer General game? Solid choice. The neverending chorus of 40K games seems to be "Space Marines, Space Marines, Spess Muhreens" so that was a rather refreshing change of pace (even if it was more than fifteen years ago). Best representation of the summoning of the Avatar of Khaine:

And that guy who voices the Farseer should get an Oscar or something.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Bingo.  Every couple of years I like to replay my favourite games, just as I like to re-read my favourite books.  Each time you experience that world as a slightly different you.

Not to say the first time isn't the best.  Usually it is and I often wish I could suffer a temporary amnesia to recapture that moment.

Sometimes the first playthrough isn't even the best. Lately, the majority of my gaming is replaying old games. There's something to be said of the atmosphere, pacing and feeling you get from games of certain time periods. I'm not even sure what *new* game gave me that kind of feedback. Maybe Stick of Truth and Wolfenstein? And before that, FONV and Alpha Protocol, probably. I see no purpose in buying new games, and rarely do. Just isn't time nor money well spent.
  • Like 3

I'm playing Rites of War...

The Eldar Panzer General game? Solid choice. The neverending chorus of 40K games seems to be "Space Marines, Space Marines, Spess Muhreens" so that was a rather refreshing change of pace (even if it was more than fifteen years ago). Best representation of the summoning of the Avatar of Khaine:

Oh yeah. I've become more tired of WH40k over the years, because everything is always Space Marines. There is so much stuff that could be done, but all we see is just always more of the same...

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Silent Hill 3.

It looks quite different compared to Silent Hill 2 but I am liking it, it reminds me of Silent Hill 4 a bit.

Once this is all done I'll probably go for Silent Hill: Downpour since that's the only one I got besides 1,2 & 3. I'll skip SH4 since I already played and finished the game back in 2006. 

Has anyone here played any of the Wii or PSP Silent Hill games? are they any good?

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 2

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Replaying fonv.....my God i love this ****ing game.

Do people have short memories?  I'm honestly curious because part of what ruins any replays for me is basically remembering every single quest and every single outcome after I've played through before.  So instead of any sense of awe, I end up reacting like, "And now he'll say this" or "And now this happens next".

For me, in this case, it's like reading a good book again - you know the story, but you really enjoy the craftsmanship and as you change through your life, the things you focus on changes as well. So the story kinda evolves with you, if that makes sense?

Bingo.  Every couple of years I like to replay my favourite games, just as I like to re-read my favourite books.  Each time you experience that world as a slightly different you.

Not to say the first time isn't the best.  Usually it is and I often wish I could suffer a temporary amnesia to recapture that moment.

Same here. Back when I was a teenager I replayed games all the time, because 1) there simply weren't as many games coming out, and 2) GOG and Steam sales didn't exist, so you couldn't get a bunch of them on the cheap... I can't count how many times I beat Diablo, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc. back then, and I loved it!

In fact, I got so bothered by the size of my backlog in recent years -- especially after I had my first child and no longer had as much time for gaming -- that I just got rid of a BUNCH of games. I started noticing that the backlog actually stopped me from replaying games that I really loved (like FO:NV) because of some twisted, compulsive sense of responsibility to first finish the games I hadn't beaten yet... So I downsized my collection significantly. I still have a decent number of titles (still too many, probably) but I've beaten the majority of them (~65%) and I've gotten a LOT more selective in my purchases. The idea is to to limit my purchases to about 1-3 games per year, and so get into a situation where I can enjoy replaying some older games every now and then. And yes, I'm a gamer who plays games to beat them -- so while cleaning out my backlog, any games I felt like I would never be motivated enough to beat, I got rid of.

/confessiontime

• Like 1

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Silent Hill 3.

It looks quite different compared to Silent Hill 2 but I am liking it, it reminds me of Silent Hill 4 a bit.

Once this is all done I'll probably go for Silent Hill: Downpour since that's the only one I got besides 1,2 & 3. I'll skip SH4 since I already played and finished the game back in 2006.

Has anyone here played any of the Wii or PSP Silent Hill games? are they any good?

I hope u like 3, unfortunately it was the last playable silent Hill I could play. Downpour was alright. Homecoming had a great story but ****ty combat.

• Like 1

I remember replaying Mass Effect 2 quite a few times. That game is always fun to play from time to time.

It sill amazes me how ME2 and DAO (for different reasons) can have such great tutorial levels that are fun to replay while MEA and DAI have horribly linear tutorial levels that are a pain to play through again.

I never finished Silent Hill 4. Didn't liked it at all. Haven't touched any Silent Hill game ever since either.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I remember replaying Mass Effect 2 quite a few times. That game is always fun to play from time to time.

It sill amazes me how ME2 and DAO (for different reasons) can have such great tutorial levels that are fun to replay while MEA and DAI have horribly linear tutorial levels that are a pain to play through again.

How bad is ME: A? I played Dragon Age: Inquisition and thought that the story was horrid but it was fun to roam around and craft things(for a while) and the -mostly empty- locations where fun to look at. Overall I gave it a solid 6/10!  

I was talking specifically about the tutorials. ME2 was really good, Origins was great, while MEA and DAI aren't that interesting, take too long, don't have much replay value, and (and this is the real kicker because the other problems wouldn't matter otherwise) aren't skippable.

Edited by the_dog_days
  • Like 1

I was talking specifically about the tutorials. ME2 was really good, Origins was great, while MEA and DAI aren't that interesting, take too long, don't have much replay value, and (and this is the real kicker because the other problems wouldn't matter otherwise) aren't skippable.

Thanks for the info, bro. Well it seems that it is pretty much a smiliar experience to DA: I. I'll buy it if I can find a second copy for cheap, sometimes the need for some outer space action suddenly kicks in.

Also, I might buy and give Prey a try. :yes:

Never mind the input lag or the dodgy framerate on the PS4, I am very happy that Bethesda is giving money to Machine Games to make the Wolfenstein game we all want and I am even more happy with the fact that they decided to give The Evil Within a second chance, that trailer was sick and it will be a day one buy for me...Shinji Mikami FTW!  :dancing:

Edited by Katphood

Bah, reached the most annoying part of any game in Rites of War. When a unit levels up and you need to decide what to train them as :p

The Mime that leveled up was easy: there was no choice he just turned into a Harlequin. And once the Harlequin levels up I really want a Death Jester.

Now a Guardian leveled up though and the choices are Dire Avenger (have 1 so far), Fire Dragon (have 2), Striking Scorpion (have 2), or Swooping Hawk (have 1). The Swooping Hawk is the best value for money, costing the most to recruit. The Fire Dragons are some of the most useful troops but slow. Scorpions are great but I also have Harlequins/Mimes for melee. Dire Avenger would just be an upgrade to the Guardian's previous basic infantry role.

Decisions, decisions...

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Still playing HITMAN (86 hours and counting).  My current goal is to reach mastery level 20 in one of the locations, which unlocks a cool weapon and tool and professional difficulty for that location.  Eventually, I want to reach mastely level 20 for all locations, but one step at a time.  The location where I'm closest is Hokkaido, currently lev 17.  I have another location at lev 13, one at lev 12, and the rest are lev 10-ish.  So basically I'm running through the Hokkaido main mission trying to figure out how to do all the different creative ways to kill the 2 targets. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That sounds a little tedious, if I'm being honest...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

^

It would be, if I didn't enjoy replaying the missions again and again.  Finding and figuring out how to execute all the different kinds of kills are all puzzles onto themselves, puzzles I enjoy.  It takes a lot of patience and it's definitely not for everyone.  I'm the kind of player who will walk behind a character in a level for 15 straight minutes, studying everything they do and everyone around them, and enjoy that.  To someone else that would probably be quite boring.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And now my PS4 won't let me put the game discs in.  It's reacting as though there's already a disc in there, even though there's not, and none of the fixes I've seen online seem to be working.  Good thing there's not really anything pressing I want to play right now.

I don't know whether to get the PS4 fixed or just buy a PS4 Pro instead.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If you are going to buy a PS4 Pro you might want to wait a month or two.  I suspect Sony will cut the price of it roughly a month before the launch of the XBox One X, which launches on Nov 7th.  I plan to pick one up (if and) when they slash the price.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

If you are going to buy a PS4 Pro you might want to wait a month or two.  I suspect Sony will cut the price of it roughly a month before the launch of the XBox One X, which launches on Nov 7th.  I plan to pick one up (if and) when they slash the price.

I might do that.  There's no games I currently want to play anyway, so unless I opt to get my PS4 fixed, I'll keep putting off buying the PS4 Pro until a price drop.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Had an urge to play C&C and C&C Red Alert. So i booted up an old XP machine and started playing.  Might be one of the few games i actually finish these days. o:) o:)

1.13 killed off Ja2.

GDI 11 was torture :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just started Champions of Krynn—for the very first time; played it through the night, until 7AM. Before that I started Deadspace... and lost interest in 20 minutes.  Might start Darksiders:Warmastered Edition next. 

War for the Overworld & Deserts of Kharak are in the near future; as well as finishing Overlord. It's been raining a lot here lately.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1