What you did today

Gorth

More car related stuff, today we moved this beauty off my in-laws property and now it is on the side of my house. It needs a lot of work, sadly.

Dayyyyyyyyyymn, that'd be a nice car to have =)

What's wrong with it?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's not running, so it needs a lot of engine work. The interior has a fair amount of mold, there is a minor dent along the side, the passenger window is broken, and the brakes are out. That's all I know about at this point. :p

My father-in-law is a mechanic, and he wants to work on it, but it will probably be a number of years before it is restored. His goal is to have it ready for my daughter in 7 years when she can drive.

• Like 1

Currently commenting on these forums on my phone, paying bills on a labtop, warming up some left-over chile and preparing to watch Master Chef's newest episode.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It's not running, so it needs a lot of engine work. The interior has a fair amount of mold, there is a minor dent along the side, the passenger window is broken, and the brakes are out. That's all I know about at this point. :p

My father-in-law is a mechanic, and he wants to work on it, but it will probably be a number of years before it is restored. His goal is to have it ready for my daughter in 7 years when she can drive.

You know, there are no words to describe the massive amount of jealousy I feel right about now. ;(

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

i started reading a manga called "Made in Abyss" and

qznn5z.png

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

i started reading a manga called "Made in Abyss" and

qznn5z.png

Do you want to go in an adventure?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Spent the day reading code with comments written by some maniac.  "Oh God I hope this works", "Heck yeah! validation succeeded, rock and roll", "Roll onward!".  At least the dude was motivated.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In January of 2006 I agreed to foster a 12 week old puppy with a bad case of demodectic mange. That poor little thing barely had a hair on his body and his skin was scabbed from head to tail. I fed all the dogs (I had many back then) together but since he was a puppy he ate in the kitchen alone. He had this funny little howl/bark he would do when I was mixing up his food. So I named him Tommy Tucker ( just Tommy really ) from the old nursery rhyme. After a year of treatment with Ivermectin, weekly baths with anti-microbial shampoo, good diet, and TLC he grew into a beautiful, healthy 90 pound tornado of a dog. Of course I couldn't give him up when his foster period ended so I adopted him. For the next eleven and a half years (except the six months I was working out of the country) I took that crazy mutt everywhere. Camping, fishing, hunting , sightseeing trips from the Great Plains to the Florida Keys and the gulf Coast to the Blue Ridge. He made friends of strangers wherever he went. 

The last few months I thought time was catching up with him. He has had trouble getting around. Back in February our vet diagnosed it as arthritis so he put him on a daily pain killer. We started a weekly therapy with Adaquan too. It helped a little but then he started getting worse. I took him to a canine orthopedic doctor in Dyersburg and she found a tumor in his shoulder. The Canine Oncologist in Memphis confirmed my worst fears, it was an aggressive form of Osteosarcoma. It was advanced and had already spread. There was nothing they could do.

So we began a home hospice course with pain killers. I set up a mattress on the floor next to the fireplace and kept him comfortable and made sure he wasn't alone. I cooked him steak, eggs, chicken and other things to eat he wouldn't normally get to have. Three days ago I left work early to come home and check on him. He gave me "the look" and I knew it was time. 

I stayed with him through the procedure though. I know many of you have had to do this too. It's the bargain we make when we take these mutts into our lives. They will be with us on our best and our worst days. And we'll be with them on their last day. It was very important to me that the last thing he knows in this world was me petting him. I arranged for a private cremation. Early this morning Sunny & I walked down to Cold Creek and scattered his ashes along the bank. We spent so many hours fishing down there is was always our place. Now it always will be.

I refuse to be sad about this. Almost twelve years of happy memories far outweigh one sad one. In the words of Dr. Seuss "Don't cry that it's over. Smile because it happened." I'm the luckiest SOB in the world to have had a friend like that!  

• Like 13

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I refuse to be sad about this. Almost twelve years of happy memories far outweigh one sad one. In the words of Dr. Seuss "Don't cry that it's over. Smile because it happened." I'm the luckiest SOB in the world to have had a friend like that!  

Thanks for sharing the story.

...On an almost totally unrelated tangent, I wonder when exactly Seuss came up with that quote. I hope it was before 1967.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

every time i go to a social event i keep asking myself "how is this supposed to be fun?". everyone around me seems to be having a good time but i just can't see what's so fun about it. could it be a conditioned reflex that i never developed - to take the axiom social event=fun and forge weld it into the brain so that i can unconsciously feel joy just by being there?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

every time i go to a social event i keep asking myself "how is this supposed to be fun?". everyone around me seems to be having a good time but i just can't see what's so fun about it. could it be a conditioned reflex that i never developed - to take the axiom social event=fun and forge weld it into the brain so that i can unconsciously feel joy just by being there?

For me is that I can't stand social norms that are supposed to bring people together but only help them connect on a shallow level. Being acutely aware of this and the underlining meaning  of these rituals has made me a bit of a party popper. That said; it is fun to pretend, I have gotten out of my shell and made some connections just by playing to expectations. 

I guess we just have to contend with the fact that humans are shallow and selfish creatures; I know I am.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I repasted my X230 and modded the heatsink since it was running hotter than I would like (temperatures under load dropped by 20-30c so I'll call that a win).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

For me is that I can't stand social norms that are supposed to bring people together but only help them connect on a shallow level. Being acutely aware of this and the underlining meaning  of these rituals has made me a bit of a party popper. That said; it is fun to pretend, I have gotten out of my shell and made some connections just by playing to expectations. 

I guess we just have to contend with the fact that humans are shallow and selfish creatures; I know I am.

thinking about it, it may be a conditioned reflex on my part to dislike things for normies like this. i have always been very shy and being unable (or too lazy) to overcome it, i unconsciously developed an aversion for everything that has to do with interacting with other people (only professional interactions are tolerable).

-Teknoman2-

Starting the day off watching the Wimbledon Men's Final.  Sadly, it looks like it's going to be a short match, the God of Tennis is not being very merciful to his opponent today.  I've been fortunate enough to see Federer play from the beginning of his career to its end, though there's no telling when that will be, since even at age 35 (ancient by tennis standards) he's showing no signs of slowing down.  I can say that I got to see the entire career of the greatest man that ever stepped foot on a tennis court.

Edit: And it's over: 6-3 6-1 6-4.  Roger winning Wimbledon at age 35 is remarkable enough on its own.  The fact that he did it without dropping a set the entire tourney (as if to match Rafa's feat from earlier this year at Roland Garros) is frankly absurd.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I had lots of guests this weekend, and ended up sleeping on the sofa. Couldn't bring myself to tell one of the guest to sleep there. My shoulder is sore, but I guess that's a small price to pay for a nice weekend with good company.

My primary boss is the managing executive of the entire division and he is one of the nicest and sincere people I have ever met

He was also one of best salesmen 2 years ago, he had a $200 million dollar target and use to make it every year. He is going to tutor me on sales principles for 1 hour a week, it should be  very pertinent sessions in my new role :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Got some rash on my legs yesterday. Didn't think much of it. Woke up today, and it looks like something from a horror movie. I should have this looked at ASAP, but I'm very, very lazy. On Wednesday, I'll do it if it gets worse.

Kitchen sink got clogged. Plumber got us a look at what 15 years of accumulation looks like inside a pipe.

Also looked at one clip from Jin Roh and now my YouTube suggestions are just either German techno or Nazi themed videos. Hm

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hmm, assuming that you really wish for him to be closer to you, and assuming he's susceptible to any such attempt...

1) Give him a "hobby gift" that you know a lot about and/or are into yourself - that way you get to bond a bit more. Sneaky. :)

2) Give him some social event gift, and include yourself, and try to get him to see more sense. A more direct approach (runs the risk of getting confrontational).

However, if he's something of a hopeless case of a workaholic, and almost immune to any warming-up attempts at that:

3) Get a gift that's as far away from his line of work as possible, and that's also not at all like passive TV-watching. Perhaps an old hobby he gave up when he was younger.

4). A tie.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Need a birthday gift idea for a workaholic, emotionally distant dad whose hobbies are complaining about work and watching TV. Thoughts?

Office Space DVD

• Like 3