What you did today

Gorth

Interview went okay. But literally a minute before the interview my Iowa boss texted me "Hey, opening a spot for somebody at your level if ya want it!" so... yeah...

You and Shady have the same problems... too many options. But like Shady said it causes as much stress as too few.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have spent the last two days learning more than I ever cared to know about Culex Quinquefasciatus, the Southern House Mosquito. Damn it Jim I'm an engineer, not an entomologist.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Position in Coon Rapids was offered and accepted. Now to go about figuring out the logistics of moving my ass away and paying for it.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I have spent the last two days learning more than I ever cared to know about Culex Quinquefasciatus, the Southern House Mosquito. Damn it Jim I'm an engineer, not an entomologist.

well, the guy who invented air conditioning/refrigeration were doing so as to prevent malaria.  bad air. vapors.  dr. gorrie had no idea mosquitoes were the cause o' the disease.  thought all the decomposing plant and animal matter in the south were creating bad air... or somesuch. the doctor's science were bad, but his engineering helped change the world.

complete incidental, but dr. gorrie also recommended widespread use o' mosquito netting, though again, he had no idea the insects were the actual carriers o' malaria.

am not sure if the story is a win for engineers or not, but perhaps you too could change the world 'cause o' mosquitoes.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Starting in around 2009 the big Agra-businesses of western TN, KY, & AR began transitioning away from ammonium sulphate base fertilizer to a diammonium phosphate base product. Ammonium Sulphate is more soluable in water (70g/mL give or take vs 50g/mL give or take).

The problem is the Ammonium Sulphte being more soluble tends to filter through the soil and enter the run off and ends up in the water table and rivers. That causes two problems. One it's a fertilizer so it causes accelerated alge, hydrilla, and other plant growth. The water here is very tannic (dark due to suspended natural solids) so UV light is lost after 2 meters or so. That means algae and plants below that consume O2 rather than produce it. So the accelerated growth causes the river water to become O2 deficient. That's problem A.

Problem B is the formula for Ammonium Sulphate is NH4SO4. Now these plants that are growing like crazy in the nitrate enriched water have a property that is usually beneficial: they absorb ammonia. So NH4SO4 becomes SO4. Uh oh. Mix that with O2 deficient water and you get a 2% solution of H2SO4. Sulfuric acid. That causes the PH levels of the water to drop. So O2 poor environment + acidic water = no fish. And dead fish. To say nothing of the fact the plant growth becomes a navigational hazard.

So the growers are using diammonium phosphate now. The upshot is being less soluble it stays put better and keeps soils nitrate levels higher for longer rather than dissolving and washing away (to cause problems elsewhere) so it requires less frequent applications. That means lower cost. At least until the Obama admin f----d that up. But that is another story. So anyway the diammonium phosphate still ends up in the water but in much smaller concentrations with much less effect. Maybe. In 20015 the University of Mississippi did a study that indicated my old buddy Cx. quinquefasciatus likes diammonium phosphate. They are showing a growth trend in that species that coincides with the increased use of diammonium phosphate. Now the State on TN is looking into it. That's where I come in. But first I have to learn everything there is to know about the Southern House Mosquito. 

Anyway, that's what I've been up to. Sorry it ran long.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I read some pamphlets and drank too much.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Lost my license somehow and the DMV hours are my exact work hours so I can't go before or after work and get a new one. I could order a new one online but they don't issue temp docs so I would still be screwed until it came in the mail.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm miserable about my car. I'm never buying a Hybrid again. My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid is worth about $2,000 right now as a trade in. It has a laundry list of issues to fix that would cost more than it is worth. Over the last few months I've fixed a number of them but then new stuff keeps popping up and I'm over it. I owe $8,000 on it. 

The current issue is a bunch of sensors that affect emissions. My check engine light is on, and the shop (which took $100 just to diagnose) say it won't cause any problems other than not passing smog. Now I don't need to get a smog check for awhile, but I'm so over this stupid car I just want to get something else. Unfortunately being under water means I'm going to have to borrow way more than I want.   :banghead:

I'm miserable about my car. I'm never buying a Hybrid again. My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid is worth about $2,000 right now as a trade in. It has a laundry list of issues to fix that would cost more than it is worth. Over the last few months I've fixed a number of them but then new stuff keeps popping up and I'm over it. I owe $8,000 on it. 

The current issue is a bunch of sensors that affect emissions. My check engine light is on, and the shop (which took $100 just to diagnose) say it won't cause any problems other than not passing smog. Now I don't need to get a smog check for awhile, but I'm so over this stupid car I just want to get something else. Unfortunately being under water means I'm going to have to borrow way more than I want.   :banghead:

Hmmm.. I'm curious. Do you have gap insurance? Because if you do I'm not saying you should drive it down to Tenderloin and leave it with the windows down and keys in the ignition. But I'm not saying you shouldn't either..

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

I didn't get gap insurance. I find for used cars, they tend to be a waste of money. Although given how quickly the hybrid depreciated I probably need to rethink that. It does have 150k miles on it and has probably saved me a fair amount in gas over the last 4 years I owned it. I like the tenderloin idea regardless, then I'd get a decent value out of it at least.

edit: I think the Tenderloin has been gentrified. :p

Edited by Hurlshot

Well that's out then. I has last in the bay area in '91. I expect it's changed some since then.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

After today Im off work for 4 days! 'Merica, F-yeah! Family, booze and BBQ galore.

I promised my neighbor I would help him change out all the windows in his house. Yesterday we completed the back sliding patio door and one window and over the weekend we'll bust out as much as possible.

• Like 1

After today Im off work for 4 days! 'Merica, F-yeah! Family, booze and BBQ galore.

I promised my neighbor I would help him change out all the windows in his house. Yesterday we completed the back sliding patio door and one window and over the weekend we'll bust out as much as possible.

for some reason the post reminds us o' the christoph waltz commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90dBYRO55XI

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Long weekend here. So guess I can catch up on sleeping and cleaning. Probably will have some heavy cleaning task to do.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Current job is trying to put together a counter offer to the new offer I got. I didn't think they'd fight so hard to keep me. I know they can't match the money but money isn't everything. I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

Current job is trying to put together a counter offer to the new offer I got. I didn't think they'd fight so hard to keep me. I know they can't match the money but money isn't everything. I'm curious to see what they come up with.

In just a few months you went from a company showing you the door to multiple companies fighting over you. You da man!

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Did thing, am trying to sort out moving...

https://www.gofundme.com/olivers-going-back-to-the-midwest

Don't mean to be gauche, although I suppose if i want visibility for this I should make it's own post... but I'll wait on that for when I'm more awake.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

haven't cleaned the inside of my pc in a while. now that i did (especially the CPU cooler) temperatures dropped by 4C

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Helped my neighbor install 11 windows and a few of them were pretty hairy. I DO NOT LIKE STANDING ON SCAFFOLDING!!!1! Freaks me the hell out and I always feel like I'm about to fall off. And by scaffolding I mean two ladders with an aluminum platform stretched between. That has a 250 Lb limit. With two big dudes and a heavy window on it. Man, he owes me one when I put in new flooring. :lol:

• Like 2

Pulled another tooth, the dentist was really worried about it since the root is was really, really close to the nerve. I was told to contact them if I don't regain much of my feeling on the right side of the jaw/lips. Hard to tell as of yet, but atleast I got some real morphine tablets for the pain, and they're going to be needed I feel.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Morfine does nada.

FML.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Morfine does nada.

FML.

I think it makes you talk in Spanish, as a Hispanic I can attest that we are all on morphine.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Morfine does nada.

FML.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body, be alpha!

But hope whatever's causing that pain gets removed (well, unless it's a person..maybe).

Last day of my long weekend before I return to work and deal with the general atmosphere of :

But first, going to sit out with my weiner dog, need to decide what to listen to. Perhaps the UT99 soundtrack

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra