Politics 2017 Act 6

The Road maybe?

In defense of Quayle he only looked foolish during election years. They managed to keep him locked in his office for most of the two years in between. That limited his opportunities.

And that video calling Homer Stokes from O Brother where Art Thou a Tea Party Republican is not cool. First of all in 1930's Mississippi you better believe he was a Democrat. Second of all the Tea Party thing was all about, and only about, Government spending. It took no position on social issues at all. Yeah, I know you didn't make the video... just sayin.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

We need more Mr. Rogers.

Well, Mr. Rogers isn't around anymore to champion Public Broadcasting in front of the government.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/trump-budget-eliminates-national-endowment-for-the-arts-corporation-for-public-broadcasting-1202441464/

Trump’s budget also calls for the elimination of funding for the NEA’s sister agency, the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Also on the chopping block is funding for public TV and radio stations via the Corporation for Public Broadcasting. The CPB received an advanced appropriation for its 2018 fiscal year, but the White House budget calls for canceling much of its $445 million in funding. It requests just $30 million to conduct “an orderly closeout” of CPB funding.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The Road maybe?

In defense of Quayle he only looked foolish during election years. They managed to keep him locked in his office for most of the two years in between. That limited his opportunities.

And that video calling Homer Stokes from O Brother where Art Thou a Tea Party Republican is not cool. First of all in 1930's Mississippi you better believe he was a Democrat. Second of all the Tea Party thing was all about, and only about, Government spending. It took no position on social issues at all. Yeah, I know you didn't make the video... just sayin.

am knowing leferd becomes annoyed when we use jfk as a punching bag

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-12-15/news/vw-329_1_coretta-king

jfk calls coretta king and offers condolences.   jfk doesn't actual lift a finger to help mlk. jfk doesn't ask his brother bobby, with his considerable justice department ties to intercede on mlk's behalf. nope, jfk makes a brief phone call o' meaningless support. less than two-minutes. coretta king would appear on a radio show shortly after mlk's release, and would mention how touched she were by jfk's concern.  the kennedy campaign printed up transcripts o' ms. king's radio address... printed 'em by the thousands. tens of thousands. 

black voters, who were historical voting republican, the party of Lincoln, do a 180 and vote for jk 'gainst nixon.  in one o' the narrowest victories in presidential history, jfk, a democrat, acquires the black vote and wins the election. 

a two-minute phone call.  a call careful tailored so as not to offend white southern democrats. phone call changed everything.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I liked his speeches. Plus I think these telecons are pretty cool.

I don't see the current POTUS consulting with his predecessors collegially regarding the Kremlin.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

On the subject of PBS, it will suprise none of you if I have a problem with my tax dollars going to fund a TV and radio network (other than AFRTS). But since it was a tiny drop in a big budget bucket and for around forty years of it's existence it was filling a void when most TV viewers could only watch 3-4 major networks and a handful of independent stations, none of which could be called educational. But in today's times with nearly endless streaming and traditional options, many and more of which far exceed PBS in educational and cultural value, does PBS still have a place? Is it still worthy of those few drops from the budget bucket that fund it? I'm going to say no.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Congress gave Trump awful news about his next golf trip

Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA) has formally introduced a bill into Congress that would require Trump to reimburse the government for funds spent on travel to his own properties, such as Mar-a-Lago in Florida and the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, NJ.

Lieu’s bill, the Stop Waste and Misuse by the President (SWAMP) Act, states that Trump’s travel “results in the American taxpayer effectively subsidizing the president’s businesses.” The bill would also require that Trump reimburse the government for Secret Service costs derived from visits to his properties.Trump’s costs have skyrocketed since assuming office. The Wall Street Journal has reported that, of the $6 million in “campaign funds” that Trump spent in the first quarter of 2017, $500,000 was directed right back into Trump-owned hotels, restaurants and golf clubs. In total, since the start of his campaign, over $14 million has been funneled back into Trump-owned properties.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

As a parent, let me tell you, the vast majority of all these new entertainment options are garbage. PBS is consistently the best choice for young kids. It is the gold standard. Nothing exceeds it, heck, nothing comes close to matching it. Everything Mr. Rogers said is still true, very few programs out there deal with the whole child.

• Like 2

On the subject of PBS, it will suprise none of you if I have a problem with my tax dollars going to fund a TV and radio network (other than AFRTS). But since it was a tiny drop in a big budget bucket and for around forty years of it's existence it was filling a void when most TV viewers could only watch 3-4 major networks and a handful of independent stations, none of which could be called educational. But in today's times with nearly endless streaming and traditional options, many and more of which far exceed PBS in educational and cultural value, does PBS still have a place? Is it still worthy of those few drops from the budget bucket that fund it? I'm going to say no.

News Hour is worth it.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Talking about those and other tiny drops in the budget amounts to discussing angels and pinheads. There's a gigantic raise to the already gargantuan defense budget and a proposal to spend I don't know how many billions on literally useless infrastructure, that dwarfs all the comparatively tiny budget cuts.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

TV should not be government funded. All that leads is to government brainwashing. It doiesn't even matter to me if the particular thing is something I agree with the gov't should not be the tv business. PERIOD.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

TV should not be government funded. All that leads is to government brainwashing. It doiesn't even matter to me if the particular thing is something I agree with the gov't should not be the tv business. PERIOD.

I must say that I disagree in funding part, as in my opinion publicly funded TV can excellent competition to commercial channels if its is managed and supervised independently from the government. Of course there is constant risk of government influencing how it operates, which is the reason for independent supervision. Like for example how CEO of our national broadcasting company had to resign, because he first intervene how said company's newsroom write about our prime minister and then said that he don't need to listen the supervising body that checks that they follow ethical journalistic code.

PS. I find it bit surprising that PBS has smaller operational budget than our national broadcasting company.

But then we got that era where every kid had to medicated bc of ADHD/add/etc when before parents just beat ur ass until u straitened up

Yes, the old fashioned way was just perfect. Getting my literal ass kicked when the teacher said I had trouble paying attention in school totally did something to fix that problem. It didn't leave me a crippled, suicidal adult that needs several types of medication and major therapy just to survive, let alone function. Not at all. :ermm:

Something bad happened to you, but that wasn't it....

But then we got that era where every kid had to medicated bc of ADHD/add/etc when before parents just beat ur ass until u straitened up

Yes, the old fashioned way was just perfect. Getting my literal ass kicked when the teacher said I had trouble paying attention in school totally did something to fix that problem. It didn't leave me a crippled, suicidal adult that needs several types of medication and major therapy just to survive, let alone function. Not at all. :ermm:

Something bad happened to you, but that wasn't it....

Let's not pretend we know TrueNeutral or what did or did not happen to him.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

black voters, who were historical voting republican, the party of Lincoln, do a 180 and vote for jk 'gainst nixon.

According to data from the Joint Center for Political and Economic studies, African American voters had been voting overwhelmingly Democrat in US Presidential races at least as early as 1936.  Anecdotally I've heard that this can - at least partially - be attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt making sure New Deal legislation applied equally to whites and blacks and her outreach to African Americans, but I don't know if there's any hard data on that.

No Republican Presidential candidate has - since 1936 when the Joint Center started compiling data - carried more than 40% of the vote; the closest was in the 1956 election when incumbent Eisenhower pulled just under 40%.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Screw it... I can't make the embed media work... I don't know why. Here's the link. It's funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21lhiKfc1p4&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

black voters, who were historical voting republican, the party of Lincoln, do a 180 and vote for jk 'gainst nixon.

According to data from the Joint Center for Political and Economic studies, African American voters had been voting overwhelmingly Democrat in US Presidential races at least as early as 1936.  Anecdotally I've heard that this can - at least partially - be attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt making sure New Deal legislation applied equally to whites and blacks and her outreach to African Americans, but I don't know if there's any hard data on that.

No Republican Presidential candidate has - since 1936 when the Joint Center started compiling data - carried more than 40% of the vote; the closest was in the 1956 election when incumbent Eisenhower pulled just under 40%.

kinda misleading, though we did leave out an important descriptor: southern.  southern black voters were still voting republican previous to kennedy.  can do funny stuff with numbers.  for example, the democrats actual didn't exceed 50% o' the black vote until the 1950s.  keep in mind independent candidates was typical receiving ~20% o' the black vote. actual, in point o' fact, during much o' the roosevelt years, national black republican voting increased so as to be even with democrats, so am not thinking eleanor helped much.

the kennedy election saw a sharp increase o' near +30% for national black voting for democrats.  the increase came almost complete from southern black voters. the civil rights act o' 1964 further skewed and there ain't been no looking back.  was a paradigm shift.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Spicer's appraisal of Trump's speech was hilarious. Trump united civilizations :lol: