Politics 2017 Act 6

I found this interesting. There is a thing here in the US called Qualified Immunity for Police officers. If they have to use deadly force in the execution of their jobs they receive criminal and civil immunity from the consequences of those actions. As long as the actions were justified. Then about 15 years ago there was a case where a police officer internationally (or recklessly) created a situation where deadly force was required to defend themselves. In that case the US 9th Circuit found the police WERE liable if they created the situation by a violation of law or the rights of the citizen involved. For example, if a cop enters your home with no warrant or probable cause and finds you there with a gun and shoots you, they are in big trouble. That is called the Provocation Doctrine.

Which is exactly what happened in Los Angeles v Mendez. Two LA County detectives entered the home of Angel Mendez and his girlfriend with no warrant. The found Mendez inside with a BB Gun. They shot him and his girlfriend (who was unarmed) multiple times. Mendez survived but lost his leg as a result. Mendez has sued obviously and it went to the same 9th Circuit Court. They decided in favor on Mendez and held that the police were "liable for the shooting as a foreseeable consequence of their unconstitutional entry even though the shooting itself was not unconstitutionally excessive force under the Fourth Amendment".

The case was then appealed to the SCOTUS who published their decision yesterday. The link is at the bottom. It's a long read, 14 pages. But my understanding of it is they struck down the Provocation Doctrine by a vote of 8-0. Now some media outlets are calling this a win for the police but that's not exactly they way I read it. The Court is not saying the police didn't violate the 4th Amendment rights of Mendez. They did. They are saying the fact that they did can't be bootstrapped into an excessive force claim. In other words they are two separate issues rather than one.

Personally I thought the Provocation Doctrine made a hell of a lot of sense. I don't hold the Police in the same warm regard as many of my fellow Americans seem to. Many of them, maybe even most of them are decent folks trying to do a good job for their community. But a lot of them are badge heavy authoritarians who lack the character or intelligence to be trusted with firearms or legal power. And far too many are shockingly ignorant of the laws they are out there enforcing. If you are going to arm people with guns, and the legal authority to kill, seize, confiscate, and imprison, you should be holding them to the highest standards with no tolerance for violations they know are wrong.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/16-369_09m1.pdf

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Spicer's appraisal of Trump's speech was hilarious. Trump united civilizations :lol:

Technically he united EU leaders to think that USA is hostile state :devil:

That's great. Anyone that is hostile towards the IV Reich is a good guy.

It's good to hear that Isis and other rapists, child killing murders are now good guys

• Like 1

In other news, Trump has withdrawn the U.S. from the Paris climate deal, making them one of three countries (Nicaragua and Syria being the others) to not be party to it.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Spicer's appraisal of Trump's speech was hilarious. Trump united civilizations :lol:

Technically he united EU leaders to think that USA is hostile state :devil:
That's great. Anyone that is hostile towards the IV Reich is a good guy.

Melenchon for example?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

The EU doesnt even like the EU. Between strongarming weaker economies and founding members leaving, this experiment may not last another 10 years.

And its damn shame :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

In other news, Trump has withdrawn the U.S. from the Paris climate deal, making them one of three countries (Nicaragua and Syria being the others) to not be party to it.

We won't always have Paris.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Has being in the EU been a net positive gain for your country, Chilloutman?

depends what is being counted, economically probably yes, if this was the question

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Yeah that was a pretty broad question. I guess what Im asking, from the perspective of a "man on the street", do you feel better off, the same, or worse after your country joined the EU?

depends probably on person to person.

I for one enjoying free travel around EU without need of Visa, and maybe economical impact as wages are going up (but again, not sure if EU got that big impact)

On other hand what I and a lot of people around I know don't like are EU subsidies. We are pretty much unable to have any say in big decisions and there is quite large outcry for EU touching internal affairs too much - e.g. lately the gun ban for example

I think this would require more indepth analysis to give you better view tho...

• Like 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/31/us/politics/covfefe-trump-twitter.html?_r=0

this latest covefefe is just so banal.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

unlike the serious cartoon character occupying the oval office who made not one, but two covefefe tweets.

the hypocrisy is strong with this one.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm hungry, is covefefe healthy and does it taste better than well done steak with ketchup?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Nothing tastes better than a well done steak slathered in ketchup

Except for maybe an extra well done steak slathered in even more ketchup

am understanding the president always orders his steak tartare well-done, and with ketchup.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

you are on thin ice man, really thin, like it's practically second before cracking

• Like 1

Reported for **** taste.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am with Shady.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"The EU doesnt even like the EU. Between strongarming weaker economies and founding members leaving, this experiment may not last another 10 years."

what founding members are leaving?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.