If I'm from the Deadfire Archipelago, *and* I'm an escaped slave, how screwed am I?

Right? They specifically stated in one of the Q&A's (can't remember which one) that having the Deadfire origin would have effects, but I don't know if the backgrounds would have any carry-over like that.

I honestly wish they would; having them come up in gameplay in more integrated situations would be quite nice. I remember several points where I *expected* that being a former slave would be brought up, but it wasn't. I also remember that it *was* brought up a couple times, but those situations where I expected it and it never happened stick out more.

• Like 1

I know the Deadfire's meant to be a really vast region, and I'm not sure all of it will be explorable. Depending on how much is or isn't, chances are you could come from a very different part of the Deadfire to the one you'll play; but if it's not the case then perhaps being recognized by a few characters depending on your background could be an interesting and welcome touch.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I know the Deadfire's meant to be a really vast region, and I'm not sure all of it will be explorable. Depending on how much is or isn't, chances are you could come from a very different part of the Deadfire to the one you'll play; but if it's not the case then perhaps being recognized by a few characters depending on your background could be an interesting and welcome touch.

I suspect Deadfire to be based on the Maluka Islands, which in the real world cover 850,000 km2, most of which is ocean but almost 30,000 of which is actual land. If that's the case, then it should be very possible to have distinct cultures and spheres of knowledge from different regions of the archipelago.

In a slave society, I'd guess that most people don't pay much attention to the slaves. You'd be just like a common piece of furniture, so the non-slaves won't really notice you until they need to use you. Thus you can probably wander around without gathering much attention, unless, say, you have a permanent slave mark on your face. The slave hunters will want to look you up though.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Unless you're a famous slave or have the aforementioned mark on your face, you probably just won't be recognised as one.  It'd be cool if your former master's land was part of the setting (you can screw over a generic slave owner in one playthrough where you weren't a slave or realise it's the same guy if you're playing that background).

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I like the idea of an encounter where the character with the background recognizes the NPC as a former master or someone complicit in their being enslaved, but where other characters just treat the encounter as an ordinary one with a slaver. We ran into slavers in POE, in an area where it wasn't the local practice, so I can't imagine we won't already be having some of those encounters in Deadfire.

I don't think it's likely everyone would recognize you, though. In addition to it being a large geographic area, it doesn't seem like there's anything visibly recognizable about former slaves. Orlans seem to be associated with it, but not universally, and you can create a former slave of any race or subrace.

• Like 1

I hope the same goes for my raider/highwayman.

My character left the Deadfire to leave behind a murderous past of robbing people before becoming a watcher.

Some kind of encounter with a group of bandits he/she once ran with would be ace.

• Like 2

And what about if you chose an option such as "I piloted cargo ships" etc. Would be cool to have single interactive scenes for each background....even if it is only you don't get sea sick during a storm while some members of your party do.

Not asking for a whole new encounter, just add an option that will recognize your background and your dialogue choice that further specified said background. Add them in where they make sense, or make one encounter take care of them all.

For example if there is an encounter where you get thrown from your boat and you climb aboard a raft of debris, your crew picks you up the next night:

Hunter(fisherman)- catches a bunch of fish 

Hunter (monster hunter)- fends off a shark 

Hunter (village hunter/gatherer, lived in wilderness) - spears a fish

Mystic (visions) - vision that steers you toward rescue

Mystic (ascetic) - find calm and peace since you were used to living a life without material

Mystic (theology)- pray to Ondra and then see your ship in the distance

Etc. 

Yeah it doesn't really change the encounter, but at least you'd see your character draw from their past and make them distinct. It would be a cheap and easy method of adding your background in. Obviously would like to see the backgrounds peppered in to other encounters, but that might be expensive and time consuming.

• Like 4

This is an important question, not just for lore and background but because it could legitimately be made much more difficult for characters with this specific background if the developers chose.

I might get referenced, maybe put you at odds with one NPC, but I doubt you will get even one dedicated quest. I mean that would be awesome. But I doubt it will make things much different for you.

People who played slave characters, when you meet the slave trader in WM, is there any extra dialogue options?

Yes, there is :) Same for Skaen priests.

As for reactivity I doubt they will put background quest (even if only for Deadfire origin). In some stream there was a question about quests for priests and paladins and Josh said it would be very expensive to make them. So I think some characters will react if you are from Archipelago but with no specific background.

I think they mentioned you will have some lore knowledge other players won't, but otherwise there will be no big effects.  If they tied a specific set of events or game options to only characters with the deadfire as their home it would make being from any other region a "lesser choice", and I am sure Obsidian want's to avoid "only one good option" scenarios in character design.

• Like 1

That all depends on you, what have you learned from Dyrewood, what skills have you picked up, and what friends have you made? ;)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Considering what you've done between your escape and arrival, I don't think that many people would be eager to cross you.

Yeah, more like "how screwed the Slavers?", dat watcher would end slavery across the archipelago.

Not back at level 1, we won't. :)

This is an important question, not just for lore and background but because it could legitimately be made much more difficult for characters with this specific background if the developers chose.

you are likely "screwed" in the same way we all will be regardless o' background choices.  chances are the backgrounds will be o' similar importance in poe2 as they were in poe1.  sure, we expect improvements regarding deadfire's reactivity when compared to poe, but not enough to genuine alter gameplay. if you are expecting significance, you will indeed be screwed-- just opposite o' how you might believe.  won't be a matter o' too much reactivity, but too little. the absence o' meaningful impact resulting from character development choicess will be the cause o' disappointment and disquiet.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)