Josh Sawyer Something Awful PoE2 Posts

I did. I played the first and second to last Beta's. And I think Sawyer nails on the head exactly what happened to me...I became overwhelmed by leveling up an entire party at once and didn't know what the hell I was doing. The more damning thing though was, I love combat in games, a good story is a cherry on top, but I loves combat. In PoE I was AWFUL at it. I couldn't understand what was going on at all. I was tapping the spacebar like a woodpecker. Are my commands being executed? Why is that dude just standing there? What, that beetle just tpw me? I mean, I soldiered through every part of the Beta that we could but didn't enjoy it. The problem is me. :shrugz:

• Like 1

Don't you mean did he play it 7 times? You can't be sure until you play it 7 times. Everyone knows that!

Either that's sarcastic, which is funny, or it's serious, which is hilarious.

I always hated prestige classes because, rather than expanding choices as the advocates contended, they limit the player through entirely mechanical means.

I think that's very true and I agree, but I think equating subclasses and PrCs is a bit assumptive.

Josh Sawyer specifically compared them to Kits in AD&D 2E, which were far less problematic and limiting than PrCs in 3E. We'll see, of course.

Fair statement. It's not like I won't end up playing the game... probably about seven times, but maybe only three. I'm not sure. Edited by Eumaios
  • Like 2

So shines the name so shines the name of Roger Young!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg

Did you actually play the finished product?

Unfortunately not. ;( I had a bad taste in my mouth after the Beta's but as time passed I softened that stance. I almost talked myself into playing but then decided to wait for a few patches...and it just never happened. Is combat significantly different now than Beta? Ill pick up PoE2 whenever it goes retail to support the home team and complete my library. Also, who doesn't want their own ship? :thumbsup:

Interesting... why does J.Sawyer post on somethingawful, but never appears on PoE official forums...

Is combat significantly different now than Beta?

I haven't played during beta, but judging by update notes, it is. Attributes were tuned up. Enemies got better AI, plus some of them have specific immunities. Combat became more balanced and diverse. Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 4

Interesting... why does J.Sawyer post on somethingawful, but never appears on PoE official forums...

I think I remember hearing something (not sure how accurate this is) about different Obsidz peeps being in different online communities for a better spread of feedback and stuff.

Guess Sawyer just got lucky...

• Like 1

Josh and some of the others read through the forums anonymously but will only pop in to post to seek specific feedback or make a clarification. He used to be more prolific back in the day...

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I can't say for sure, but my experience is that whilst people on the SA forums are even sassier than the ones here, they're generally less rude, take things less personally, and don't engage in "crusades" the way we've seen here (during the Pillars 1 development). So I can't really blame the devs for taking a more read-y and less interact-y approach.

I don't doubt they are reading, though - Josh's GDC speech on ability scores certainly indicated very strong awareness of how players felt about various things.

• Like 2

Josh did respond a massive amount during PoE1 development on these boards. Especially during some of the crusades. I like seeing the devs spread out over multiple forums, sort of a "diversify your investments" kind of thing.

Edited by mstark
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

The main reason that I don't like restarting at level 1 is that much of your character's identity consists of the level up choices you made (representing the time and virtual sweat/blood invested to get there). I guess it's like starting a new job only to discover you've suddenly forgotten your entire education and experience.

Considering all the mechanics changes they are talking about it is a lot less forgot everything, and a lot more "I started a new job that was kind of like my old one but for a completely different company using completely different tools I am not familiar with yet."

Remember, they said choices you made in the first game will be reflected.  They even mentioned the Orlan baby :p

Also, I don't think starting a new character will do what you want.  You would still be the watcher, you probably just get a "cannon" world state, or a Tyranny like intro where you pick and choose.

Couple reasons. 

1: The community here is a little too .... "passionate" if you get what I mean.  It can get very very negative at times, and bogged down in some seriously heinous long winded debates about the most anal details.  You know, like playing D&D or Warhammer with RPG nerds.

2: Something Awful is a far more "professional" site.  You have to pay for membership for example.  So it has a lot more people in the gaming (and other) industries in it.  It is policed VERY heavily, and typical forum troll behavior will get you permanently banned in a New York minute.  It is not your typical web forum basically, it really is a higher class of poster.

All that said Sawyer will still post here sometimes if a particular topic gets his attention and he wants to clarify, or if he sees something really cool he wants to give a nod to.  Just trust that Obsidian, and Sawyer by extension, are reading basically everything you post here about Deadfire.

• Like 7

The main reason that I don't like restarting at level 1 is that much of your character's identity consists of the level up choices you made (representing the time and virtual sweat/blood invested to get there). I guess it's like starting a new job only to discover you've suddenly forgotten your entire education and experience.

Considering all the mechanics changes they are talking about it is a lot less forgot everything, and a lot more "I started a new job that was kind of like my old one but for a completely different company using completely different tools I am not familiar with yet."

I see what you mean but I would have preferred a continuation of the same character where the same abilities still work in the new game. For example, one character that I liked playing in PoE was an unarmed/unarmored monk who got good at beating the crap out enemies with fists. In PoE2, that character would be an unarmed monk who now sucks at beating the crap out of enemies with fists and needs to get good at it again because, uh, reasons. Ok, fine, it's just not what I was hoping for. I liked the BG to BG2 import for a character and was hoping for something like that. I wasn't especially hoping for a redesign of the class system - I don't think it's necessary. 

Also, I don't think starting a new character will do what you want.  

I agree. Neither option is what I want. I will do one or the other.

• Like 1

I like the lore highlight system in Tyranny but I really hope it's toned down (pun). I found it incredibly distracting after the novelty wore off and we can have an option to adjust the lore highlighting after we read/clicked them to match normal text color.

might as well give the frequent bump as questions at sa is far more likely to be answered than those posted on obsidian's boards. quite a goodly number o' queries has been addressed as a matter o' fact.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

bump

more party size insights, observations 'bout helmet/cloak toggle, multiplayer, etc.

get all your poe2 updates... from sa.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

bump

you honest get more info from sa and tumblr than anywhere else. genesis post links to ALL josh posts in the poe2 thread at sa. 

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807509&userid=17931

check if you want current info regarding poe2.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

I like that multi-classing is limited to two classes rather than the dipping in half a dozen classes and racial Favoured Class headaches of D&D.  I also find it interesting that they have made Eder's base classes as Fighter and Rogue, as I recall during development they started him off as a Rogue I believe only to flip-flop between the two before finally settling on Fighter.  Guess they weren't ever comfortable with the class they assigned themselves, sounds like me when I'm trying to choose a class for a concept.  :biggrin:

• Like 4

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I like that multi-classing is limited to two classes rather than the dipping in half a dozen classes and racial Favoured Class headaches of D&D.  I also find it interesting that they have made Eder's base classes as Fighter and Rogue, as I recall during development they started him off as a Rogue I believe only to flip-flop between the two before finally settling on Fighter.  Guess they weren't ever comfortable with the class they assigned themselves, sounds like me when I'm trying to choose a class for a concept.  :biggrin:

Yeah, what is really interesting about Eder is that not only did he go through a name change (originally Adair), but he was intended to be a rogue.  The only reason he ended up as a Fighter was because Eternity is very tank focused, and Obsidian was worried the player would not have a tank early game.  So to be sure the Player would have a tank if desired without having to make one themselves, or rely on mercs, they changed Eder to Fighter.

• Like 3