Josh Sawyer Something Awful PoE2 Posts

Pistol whipping but no grenados? :facepalm:

There are grenades intended I believe?  Or some sort of bomb thing.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

There is a handmortar thing that is supposed to shoot grenades and Serafen is going to be using that. Would be cool to see it in action in a teaser at some point.

Obviously we won't have to buy grenades as ammunition like we don't have to buy arrows (because hammerspace), but having throwable grenades seems like something that would be cool.

There is a handmortar thing that is supposed to shoot grenades and Serafen is going to be using that. Would be cool to see it in action in a teaser at some point.

Obviously we won't have to buy grenades as ammunition like we don't have to buy arrows (because hammerspace), but having throwable grenades seems like something that would be cool.

I'm pretty sure grenades or some form of throwable explosive is going to be a thing, as I recall its linked to the alchemy skill.  It was talked about at some point, it encouraged me to make a scientist-type character ready for Deadfire.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

I'm pretty sure grenades or some form of throwable explosive is going to be a thing, as I recall its linked to the alchemy skill.  It was talked about at some point, it encouraged me to make a scientist-type character ready for Deadfire.

I don't remember hearing that, but that sounds cool. Sort of like Geralts potion bombinb.

I don't remember hearing that, but that sounds cool. Sort of like Geralts potion bombinb.

Yeah I'll have to try and dig out where I heard it from for ya (and to make sure I didn't just dream it or something).

• Like 1

Yeah I'll have to try and dig out where I heard it from for ya (and to make sure I didn't just dream it or something).

Could you for me as well? I haven't heard of it either. There's already a crafting system, but I'm not sure how they'd apply an alchemy skill into the game and using it only for making bombs seems rather limited

Sawyer and Null confirm the existence of an Alchemy skill during Q&A 4 (https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/5vsoiy/pillars_of_eternity_ii_deadfire_qa_4_transcript/; or https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124031593?t=38m55s for the specific point in the video where the question is answered). According to the Q&A, Alchemy doesn't allow you to create explosives so much as use them more effectively. While it hasn't been stated outright, it's easy to see how the skill's benefits could similarly apply to potions and drugs that you find throughout the game, which would help to give the skill a bit more scope beyond just making explosives more explosive.

• Like 2

Sawyer and Null confirm the existence of an Alchemy skill during Q&A 4 (https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/5vsoiy/pillars_of_eternity_ii_deadfire_qa_4_transcript/; or https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124031593?t=38m55s for the specific point in the video where the question is answered). According to the Q&A, Alchemy doesn't allow you to create explosives so much as use them more effectively. While it hasn't been stated outright, it's easy to see how the skill's benefits could similarly apply to potions and drugs that you find throughout the game, which would help to give the skill a bit more scope beyond just making explosives more explosive.

That's it thanks!  It also mentions that you can reverse pickpocket explosives on people, which I find hilarious. :w00t:

Edited by FlintlockJazz

That's it thanks!  It also mentions that you can reverse pickpocket explosives on people, which I find hilarious. :w00t:

I could think of other things, like pranks maybe.

Ah! After they mentioned that I just had to install fallout and reverse pickpocket some time bombs into people pockets. Wonderful stuff.

Sure, no problem. I was also interested in confirming the news.

I agree the reverse pickpocketing angle opens up a nice set of opportunities for carnage, especially if we can fine-tune the detonation times. It'd be fun to set explosives to go off on tavern performers just after they finish a song, for example, or as the audience winds up for applause.

I'm guessing it'll probably get worked into quests as well; maybe there'll be opportunities to plant incriminating evidence on people now and again. That sounds like it could be an interesting tactic for a Watcher who's infiltrating/double-crossing one faction for another.

Unfortunately Josh said in a Q&A that it won't be possible to plant a disproportionate amount of heavy armors into somebody's pocket/backpack/whatever to make them encumbered and root them in place, which would have been all kinds of awesome XD

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Still a word in English though, last I checked.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I could see other stuff like discreetly giving someone something, though I don't think there will be a whole lot of cloak and dagger type quests.

Still, depending on what we can and can't do with the 'reverse pickpocketing', there's a whole lot of potential.

Also, I wonder if we'll have to worry about getting pickpocketed/mugged ourselves. Maybe that's the CYOAs and the "you don't know whether that shadow is friend or foe" mentioned for the seedier parts of Neketaka.

Hopefully it's more than just planting bombs. I'd love to plant incriminating evidence or other afflicting substances/devices. Maybe talisman of impotence on a stuck up noble.

That is what I am hoping to see. Adding those mechanics means they have more tools to design quests. Without too much extra coding they could create multiple ways to solve quests in a way which feels natural and utilises more unique skills of your party. PoE evolved around conversation/combat/scripted interaction design. Expanding on stealth hopefully will add another layer when appropriate.

• Like 1

Hopefully it's more than just planting bombs. I'd love to plant incriminating evidence or other afflicting substances/devices. Maybe talisman of impotence on a stuck up noble.

My reading of the transcript gives me the impression that they were talking of two separate mechanics (bombs and reverse pickpocketing) working together, so I'm guessing yes.  I can definitely see it being used to frame people, but I can also see it being used to pass things onto people without being seen, such as passing on a note to someone who is being watched for them to read later.

Ooh, wonder if there'll be some muskets with bayonnets. Spear type.

The attachable (non-plug) bayonet didn't really appear until the latter part of the 17th century, so that might be too late for this time period.

Sure. But maybe a two-handed club then instead? Hit with the blunt side. Don't know if Obsidian plans something for the Arquebus' or "rifle" type guns (two-handed guns), but would be pretty cool. Understand it'd require animation and such, but was just thinking "Hey! The one-handed pistols are getting some flexibility... I wonder if they'll do something for the two-handed variants?".

Ooh, wonder if there'll be some muskets with bayonnets. Spear type.

The attachable (non-plug) bayonet didn't really appear until the latter part of the 17th century, so that might be too late for this time period.

Sure. But maybe a two-handed club then instead? Hit with the blunt side. Don't know if Obsidian plans something for the Arquebus' or "rifle" type guns (two-handed guns), but would be pretty cool. Understand it'd require animation and such, but was just thinking "Hey! The one-handed pistols are getting some flexibility... I wonder if they'll do something for the two-handed variants?".

Enhancement: put a nail through the butt....

Seems like bashing things with your primitive gun is a good way to turn it into a club. Permanently.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."