RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Apparently there's a spoiler in the trailer, people say. Catchy song, I would have gone with

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The ps4 update is the greatest thing to happen to the ps4. Bought a 4gb hdd and man, things are so much faster to download from disk. I'm downloading ALL my games now, so online features and shows are gonna be nada for a day or 2.

I feel like I have a huge library of games now even though I've owned all these for some time now.

Is it just me or are the facial animations really bad? To me they almost seem random.

Seriously weird faces all over. I think the issue is that unlike in previous titles, the faces are actually capable of decent animation, but cutscene direction is only making sparing (and random) use of it, making it stand out more. It's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

But who cares. We aren't talking about the total media blackout regarding the issue everyone is secretly thinking about: will there be a Jessica Chobot Naomi Kyle cameo?! The memes would make it all worthwhile, no matter how bad the game turns out.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Is it just me or are the facial animations really bad? To me they almost seem random.

Yeah, I reacted to it previously aswell, but I reckon I'm just too much of a Witcher fanboi

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Well, the more trailers the game usually has, the more ****ty it ends up, and the new ME has more of them already, than any other game I remember...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

To be fair, too many trailers are more indicative of PR department being bored than quality of the game

Most clips popping up are third party-hosted though, not "official" BWEA stuff. They must have spent a fortune on marketing to keep have the "content" drip showing something almost every other day.

Being a gameplay first guy, I'm fairly disappointed. The only MP hands-on some of these "journalists" did amounted to "wow, krogan can headbutt, and look, jetpacks! COOL".

Maybe after PAX ends we'll see something more substantial.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

https://twitter.com/tibermoon/status/840651077049540608

Well, kind of disappointing to me I can't customize sqaudmates' loadouts. Not a game breaking thing, mind you, though I boggle at people saying the customizing of squad mates was 'micromanaging'.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So wait, does that mean you can't tell your companions what power to use?  If so, that's awful.  The only thing that made them remotely useful in the previous ME games was that you could turn off automatic power use and actually make them use their abilities intelligently.

So wait, does that mean you can't tell your companions what power to use?  If so, that's awful.  The only thing that made them remotely useful in the previous ME games was that you could turn off automatic power use and actually make them use their abilities intelligently.

BioWare removed the power wheel entirely. You and your companions can use three powers each and you aren't given any control over which powers the companions use--companions are all AI. They've also tied single player and multiplayer together, making ME into a multiplayer game you can play with bots.

The Kett.

I can't shake the feeling that the real reason why Andromeda has the Kett is, because someone at Bio thought: "Wait, we can't have our hero shooting and killing native inhabitants. That would mean were the bad guys."

• Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

BioWare removed the power wheel entirely. You and your companions can use three powers each and you aren't given any control over which powers the companions use--companions are all AI. They've also tied single player and multiplayer together, making ME into a multiplayer game you can play with bots.

So they turned it into another Battlefield game?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

https://youtu.be/d3q_Nd5arZM?t=210

The power wheel is gone, but now you have "weapon wheel" and "favorites". From the looks of it, you can't order your companions to use a specific power on a specific enemy anymore, but they will react in context (priming/detonating) if you mark a target. Personally I think this is full of fail -- BW have a great track record when it comes to programming ****ty AI, but we'll know for sure when it hits.

Their rationale for these changes is, as usual, total bollocks.

To be honest, I can't remember having ever given any commands or whatever to my companions in any ME game so far. And if I did, then probably only in very few situations. Really, all in all I feel like companions nowadays are nothing but side fluff. They hardly make a difference in combat.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

While I also never really cared about what companions did in combat, I see that the people playing on the harder difficulties are probably dismayed at the further dumbing down of it.

To be honest, the only thing I take into account in Bioware games when choosing companions is if I like their banter.

• Like 2

Only thing I take into account is how well they act as a bullet sponge. I've generally found companions' only role in combat to be to distract enemies while you do 95% of the killing, at least on high difficulty. They simply don't do enough damage with any single attack to justify micromanaging them.

OTOH it seems it's yet another thing that Bioware has cut rather than fix, and that's been a pattern with all of Bioware's sequels (and apart from DAO, all of their games) post BG2.

Eh. Well I've got Origin Access at the moment, so I'll give the demo a try and possibly comment on it here when it's out later this week.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Only thing I take into account is how well they act as a bullet sponge. I've generally found companions' only role in combat to be to distract enemies while you do 95% of the killing, at least on high difficulty. They simply don't do enough damage with any single attack to justify micromanaging them.

OTOH it seems it's yet another thing that Bioware has cut rather than fix, and that's been a pattern with all of Bioware's sequels (and apart from DAO, all of their games) post BG2.

Companion damage in general is nerfed, so that they don't steal your thunder, I'd assume. The Incisor sniper rifle was bugged in ME2 and it didn't apply a damage penalty to companions, which combined with their pinpoint accuracy, meant that a Zaeed/Garrus team would wreck anything short of heavy mechs in seconds. It was pretty hilarious watching those two being as badass in game as they are in the story, but it kinda got old fast.

On Hardcore and especially Insanity, the only saving grace of companions is their ability to instantly and perfectly deploy abilities to help with stripping protections, which literally every mook has. On Insanity, smart use of companion abilities to stagger and weaken mobs makes a huge difference.

In that light, removing the ability to micromanage is bad, but I get the feeling that combat will be easier anyway.

Edit: micromanaging companions is probably less important now that Shep's abilities no longer share a global cooldown.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1