What you did today

Gorth

Is anybody on these forums Icelandic? Trying to buy from gosh danged music from one of your online music services because it's the only place to have what I'm looking for, but alas, can't freaking do it because, go figure, you have to be from Iceland to do so!

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Would a VPN be handy in that situation ? Today I got a haircut. That was the most eventful thing, good thing too, the whole afro thing was beginning to look untidy

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I tried an American method of payment, but it would not accept it. Seems like the way they do billing over there is different than in the U.S. - they didn't ask for billing address or anything, but they did ask for social security number, and I put a dummy one in. So...yeah. Additionally, there's no option for PayPal or anything.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Oh right, sorry, thought the block was just based on IP rather than actual payment.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, a friend I discussed with it had the same idea, haha. So basically, I need to find somebody who actually lives there and wants to help me...That might prove a little difficult.

Is "stress" a legitimate excuse for calling off work in Sweden?

One thing that makes me curious though; in the US, if you get ill during your vacation, can you call in sick then and get your vacation days back?

Also, a couple of decades ago you could, technically, call in to work for "feeling gay", since homosexuality was classified as an illness back then. ^^

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

One thing that makes me curious though; in the US, if you get ill during your vacation, can you call in sick then and get your vacation days back?

Also, a couple of decades ago you could, technically, call in to work for "feeling gay", since homosexuality was classified as an illness back then. ^^

In my case, I get 5 "sick days" to use whenever I like with no advanced warning, an addition 10 days to use whenever I like with sufficient warning, and 13-15 days off over the course of the year for normal holidays (4th of July, Christmas, etc.). So your example would be a wash for me.

I have never used a "sick day" due to illness. I don't get sick often but when I do Id rather be at work than waste a day off lying around in bed sick.

• Like 1

In my case, I get 5 "sick days" to use whenever I like with no advanced warning, an addition 10 days to use whenever I like with sufficient warning, and 13-15 days off over the course of the year for normal holidays (4th of July, Christmas, etc.). So your example would be a wash for me.

I have never used a "sick day" due to illness. I don't get sick often but when I do Id rather be at work than waste a day off lying around in bed sick.

Huh, you can use sickdays to be free from work, without being ill? We don't really have a limit on how many sickdays you can have per year, just that your employer eventually will demand doctors notes to prove that you really are ill. On the top of my head, I've had 20-25 days I've been ill this year, flu and stomach bugs mostly. Not counting my sickleave for my back that is.

What kind of a job do you have? Don't you worry about infecting your coworkers?

It probably depends on your employer though I doubt many places would do something like that for you

Huh, it's legally mandated here in Sweden, that your employer have to "suspend" your vacation until you get well. Though if you're ill for more than one week straight you need a doctor to verify it.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Huh, you can use sickdays to be free from work, without being ill? We don't really have a limit on how many sickdays you can have per year, just that your employer eventually will demand doctors notes to prove that you really are ill. On the top of my head, I've had 20-25 days I've been ill this year, flu and stomach bugs mostly. Not counting my sickleave for my back that is.

I'm sure it varies from company to company, but yeah, I can "call in sick" (using one of my 5 sick days) and nobody blinks an eye or expects me to prove it. On the flip side, if I took over one month off due to various illness I would probably be shown the door. :lol: I work in an office and I don't really worry about infecting others. They are always already sick before Ill even sniffle.

I'm sure it varies from company to company, but yeah, I can "call in sick" (using one of my 5 sick days) and nobody blinks an eye or expects me to prove it. On the flip side, if I took over one month off due to various illness I would probably be shown the door. :lol: I work in an office and I don't really worry about infecting others. They are always already sick before Ill even sniffle.

I think the reason why my boss has'nt demanded to see a doctors note on my various sickleaves is because I'm a workhorse once I'm at work. I'm only half-joking when I say that I could work 3 days a week and still produce more than the others there. :)

As soon as I start noticing something off I call in sick, I really don't my coworkers to catch whatever I've got. Then again, we have what's called a "Karensdag". On the day you call in sick you don't get any pay.

If I started working at a tenth of the pace at work, they still could'nt fire me. If it went on too long they probably could since then it'd qualify as sabotaging or something like that. For good and for bad, it's ludicrously hard to fire someone in Sweden.

When I get sick I come in early and make phone calls on the desk phones of everyone I don't like.

And that is a hell of a lot of phone calls!

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No wonder there are workplace shootings with coworkers like you :p

Sick days are rolled into vacation days. Are allowed to WFH so that is a good option most of the time. Even if I have to vpn in to the UK then remote in to my PC (1 s latency, w00t)

• Like 1

I rained last night. Then got cold. Below freezing cold. So I walked out back this morning to feed the chickens (not one of whom bothered to leave their heated house) and slipped in ice on the porch steps. No now I mave the makings of an ugly bruise on my hip and I am already getting sore.

I hate getting old. 10 years ago I would have jumped right back up and laughed about it. 20 years ago I'd have caught myself before falling. Now, I'm just going back to bed.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I rained last night. Then got cold. Below freezing cold. So I walked out back this morning to feed the chickens (not one of whom bothered to leave their heated house) and slipped in ice on the porch steps. No now I mave the makings of an ugly bruise on my hip and I am already getting sore.

I hate getting old. 10 years ago I would have jumped right back up and laughed about it. 20 years ago I'd have caught myself before falling. Now, I'm just going back to bed.

Atleast you've got no broken bones :)

It's been raining/snowing here all morning, and we're getting some Russian cold weather next week, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the same things. Also, I can't afford to buy studded wintertyres for my car at the moment, so I have to make due with ****ty friction-based M+S tyres. I'm going to be skidding all over the place.

Going to my friends place today to play some Mutant Chronicles (I hope)

Somehow I was just wondering about obyknven and if he has lost his job at the russian troll factory. Haven't read any of his pro-russian stuff in a while now.

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

:lol: 

Thomas Sowell

Took my car in for an oil change, it may cost me $1200.  Bleh.

I knew I needed to replace a control arm bushing, and expected that might cost $400. But they also want to replace the tires. They are at 1/32 thread life. I could go somewhere else for cheaper tires, although the warranty is better here and they cover the alignment for the first year if it gets out of whack, which has been a major problem with this particular car.

Took my car in for an oil change, it may cost me $1200.  Bleh.

I knew I needed to replace a control arm bushing, and expected that might cost $400. But they also want to replace the tires. They are at 1/32 thread life. I could go somewhere else for cheaper tires, although the warranty is better here and they cover the alignment for the first year if it gets out of whack, which has been a major problem with this particular car.

*Heartattack*

That's half of what I paid for my car... That part costs 10$ a piece and takes 2 hours tops to change. Goddamn what a robbery... :S

*Heartattack*

That's half of what I paid for my car... That part costs 10$ a piece and takes 2 hours tops to change. Goddamn what a robbery... :S

To be fair, the oil change is only ~$40.00 of that $1200. The rest is repairs and tires.

EDIT: Oh, you mean the bushing. Disregard above. :lol: