What you did today

Gorth

Spent the morning twenty miles inland. Would never have known a crippling drought reigned for a decade. Avocado orchards, citrus trees, grape vines, patches of green, shallow depressions filled with ... water. Was beautiful, old-Mediterranean verdant.   

we typical make it down to death valley in late february or early march.  is few things more beautiful than a california (nevada, arizona and new mexico too) desert in bloom.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You are probably thinking of the heat wave they had in NSW (which seems to be over now) :)

I live in QLD. The temperatures (33-36C) are normal summer temperatures. It will get cooler in the late autumn.

Edit to add: PSA: That would be approx. 91-96F

Why would you do that to yourself? =P

Consultancy, my friend.

Those too, but atleast you don't actually need them in the same way one would have need of a dentist.

we typical make it down to death valley in late february or early march. is few things more beautiful than a california (nevada, arizona and new mexico too) desert in bloom.

HA! Good Fun!

That sounds like something I'd like to see, atleast once in my lifetime.

Maybe in 4-8 years. ;)

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

we typical make it down to death valley in late february or early march. is few things more beautiful than a california (nevada, arizona and new mexico too) desert in bloom.

HA! Good Fun!

That sounds like something I'd like to see, atleast once in my lifetime.

Maybe in 4-8 years. ;)

I can't agree enough about this... especially when combined with the amazing sunrises and sunsets

My wife thought I was crazy until I took her to Arizona in early spring

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm about to spend entirely too much getting a custom heatsink installed in my laptop along with a complete liquid metal repaste (my other laptop also needs work but I'll do that myself as it's much cheaper to replace if something goes wrong). I've also got to order parts to rebuild my desktop and upgrade my girlfriend's.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Looking through old code and assignments from school, wonder what I was smoking making a GUI from Win32 API calls, while it is interesting and I did learn about the WndProc handler, that seems like pain. Definitely have regressed as a coder though!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Meh,

I did a google 360 degree business virtual tour photo shoot. The idea was to let people freely roam both ground and first floor through Google See Inside.

Got the email today that the tour was done and uploaded. So I went to google maps, zoomed into the property and... was terribly disappointed. Walking from the street through the front door catapults the viewer to the first floor. There clicking on the living room teleports to the ground floor bathroom, and exiting that kicks you back out onto the street.

So instead of letting potential guests check out how awesome the place is, it will only confuse them.

Wrote the company a stern, unhappy email about it. Now to wait for their reply. Which may not come 'till Monday since it is the weekend.

And I doubt my mood will improve over the next couple of days.

Added bummer that I was totally smitten with their sales rep. So much for asking her out in the future; now I'll be arguing with her about them fixing that mess they call a tour and not paying them until they do :p

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Took some sleeping pills yesterday, and I had the most ****ed up weird as hell "nightmare"/delusion I've ever had. There was a tangle of straight lines that I had to unhook from people and things and then untangle, problem was that they were straight lines so they could'nt be untangled and then the lines would'nt stick to the things I had taken them from. People started to get very cross with me. Thankfully that's all I have a clear memory from...

Still did'nt get any proper sleep though, it took me more than two hours to fall asleep and I woke up at about 3-4 AM, been lying in bed since then, tossing and turning and try to get a couple of hours in atleast.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I don't have insomnia proper, I just get so much back pain when lying down that I can't fall asleep. They rather prescribe sleeping pills than those hardcore pain meds though, wich I'm sort of thankful for.

I'd rather have the sleeping pills, the ones I took before was quite good but had some side effects, but it's weird how a full nights rest can feel so damn good. :p

In two weeks I'm taking a page from Hurlshots book and packing up the dogs and the camper and heading down to Florida for 10 days. We're going to do some fishing in Cedar Key, Catch a Rays vs Phillies game in Clearwater (Brighthouse stadium will allow dogs on the grass berm) then spend the weekend camping at the Rainbow River in Ocala and stop and see my brother and his family on the way back up.

I can't wait.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 4

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In two weeks I'm taking a page from Hurlshots book and packing up the dogs and the camper and heading down to Florida for 10 days. We're going to do some fishing in Cedar Key, Catch a Rays vs Phillies game in Clearwater (Brighthouse stadium will allow dogs on the grass berm) then spend the weekend camping at the Rainbow River in Ocala and stop and see my brother and his family on the way back up.

I can't wait.

If you're taking a page from Hurlshot; Don't forget to bring us pictures! Especially of your fishing. ;)

Have fun, Burglar Cat!

I can't remember Azdeus, is the back pain a permanent thing or will it at least be over in time?

Don't know rightly, my doctors told me to get an appointment to get some x-rays taken, but usually these things should pass by themselves. Problem is that my sickleave is only part time at the moment, and while my doctors has said to me that I should ask for lighter duties, we don't have any. So I have'nt made any real progress lately, and since going up in working hours it's gotten worse. I spend 4 hours a day lifting things from either above my head or from the floor to about waist height, and the management on my workplace leaves alot to be desired.

With some luck it'll get better, with bad luck I'll need surgery.

They usually don't do any x-rays or similar once you report that you've got lower back pain, they save that for later ( 3-4 months ) if it does'nt improve on it's own. Wich is where I am now.

Edited by Azdeus

Back pain sucks, I've always had mild scoliosis but as I've gotten older it has become a lot easier to jack it up. I've got a massage therapist and a chiropractor I see every month, the tricky part is finding decent ones.

Truly does, makes me a bit on edge all the time aswell. And it's why I still have'nt sent you those beers :(

So far, I've seen physiotherapists and recieved some exercises to do, but they haven't helped much overall.

Edit; On a different note, a couple of months ago I bought a full set of new lightbulbs, energy saving kind, and replaced almost all of my bulbs in the same day. Now, all of them broke within a week of eachother.

But my spotlight bulbs still work, despite being seven or eight years old and used more frequently.

Edited by Azdeus

Am debating requesting a transfer back to my old region. Things are shaking out at current location but it seems like my boss has the idea stuck in her head that I'm totally untrained and shouldn't be considered for promotion. Also current boss had a BM position open didn't even ask just automatically handed it to somebody else. Only learned it was previously promised after bitching to one of my coworkers (technically employee) about it.

Some of this is just me going through the "not in love with this place and it sucks" phase, but I'd think that'd be more about the city rather than the actual person who can control my career path within the company.

Also being isolated and semi-friendless is kicking my ass using my depression as a HUGE barbie bat.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Truly does, makes me a bit on edge all the time aswell.

My sympathies. Nerve pain is unrelenting.

This may sound crazy....but if I sleep on a too-soft mattress it gives me lower back pains. If your bed is soft you can slide a piece of plywood under it and it might help. Oldskoolfix.

• Like 1

This may sound crazy....but if I sleep on a too-soft mattress it gives me lower back pains. If your bed is soft you can slide a piece of plywood under it and it might help. Oldskoolfix.

Thanks, though my bed is decently hard, I'll try it out, can't hurt :D

I usually roll up a towel and place it under the lumbar wich gives some relief for a while, but it rarely stay in place for long since I toss and turn quite frequently.

Edit; My mother is apparently going to the movies, something wich she never really does, got me curious what movies she possibly could be going to.

Looked it up.

Fifty shades darker.

WHERE'S MY BRAIN BLEACH?! :x

Edited by Azdeus

Thanks, though my bed is decently hard, I'll try it out, can't hurt :D

I usually roll up a towel and place it under the lumbar wich gives some relief for a while, but it rarely stay in place for long since I toss and turn quite frequently.

Edit; My mother is apparently going to the movies, something wich she never really does, got me curious what movies she possibly could be going to.

Looked it up.

Fifty shades darker.

WHERE'S MY BRAIN BLEACH?! :x

You do realize that one of the current issues rampant in senior homes is a proliferation of STD's right?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

2e42e9f00a76b3ccef3fb127dbd2a43f5c551398

• Like 2

Had a few days stubble and I noticed it had come out gray in places when I shaved.

Da fuk. I feel like I skipped adulthood entirely and went straight to old age. 

Hair dye works wonders but its harder to dye the beard so stay clean-shaven  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Nice weather of late so can resume hanging with my dachshund out on the front step.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra