3.05 Live on Steam

Nope.

If you turn a boss multi-immun except one or two weakness, certain classes will have the favor.

Totally condemns the debuff, it no longer serves anything, and people will adopt the pure offensive (= the game is no longer interesting)

The only interest of the debuff ... is debuff. If you do not have to do it any more because you have no interest in doing it, then you do not do it anymore !

Obviously, that means making the game easier, it's kind of the goal in itself. Reward players who create a strategy.

We use the debuff to wait for a definitive advantage.

If not : Rogue + Heart of the fury 20 / 20. And all offensive spells = G.G.

I hate games where debuffs never work (Or once in 30). And at that moment I do what? I fall back on what works (I let you guess what), and so the debuffs no longer serve anything.

Edited by theBalthazar

It's already the situation that bosses are multi-immune, with a few exceptions (you can't petrify adra dragon, but you can paralyze him, you can't paralyze alpine but you can petrify him). Which, with a bit of metagame knowledge, turns most elite fights into a cakewalk, since you can whip out the specific counter required for every situation.

Sure, what i proposed will indirectly buff the direct damage classes like rogue, if you think about it, don't they actually need that ? Giving bosses immunity or very high debuff resistances across the board is practically a nerf to the vancian classes, which are by far the most powerful in the game. And you can always use the debuffs on boss adds, so it's not like they become useless or anything.

bosses immune [...] to all debuffs 

Sometimes i'm actually glad Josh Sawyer frequents Something Awful instead of this place.

"or highly resistant"  And by debuffs I meant debilitating status effects (such as Charm, Paralyze, but not something like Cipher Disintegration for example). I love people who misquote others to suit their narrative.

I've got to agree with the people who are against boss immunities. They just reduce boss fights to damage races which are utterly mindless. I don't mind the occasional immunity when it makes sense from a lore perspective (having animats being immune to poison for example) but using them as a crutch to make boss fights more challenging is boring.

• Like 2

In any case, something should be done to make the big encounters more challenging. I would say the optimal solution would be something like SCS from BG, that drastically improves enemy AI and gives them more abilities in their arsenal. 

This is a better approach. I also think boss fights should focus on you fighting a group of enemies rather than one big bad, cause no matter how big or bad he is there are a number of ways you can make a single entity powerless (CC, tanking, very high single target damage). Group fights also allow the whole arsenal of your abilities shine (aoe, mind control, on kill stuff etc). Most PoE fights do include groups of enemies, but some (dragon fights) are bit too focused on a single entity for my liking. Bounties are much more satisfying and interesting boss fights in this sense. Having a group of enemies with improved AI smartly using skills/spells at their disposal should give a nice challenge. E.g. enemy priests protecting from/suppressing CC, wizards smartly targeting your weakest saves, bruisers intercepting your melee and trying to keep them engaged or going for squishier chars themselves.

• Like 1

In any case, something should be done to make the big encounters more challenging. I would say the optimal solution would be something like SCS from BG, that drastically improves enemy AI and gives them more abilities in their arsenal. 

This is a better approach. I also think boss fights should focus on you fighting a group of enemies rather than one big bad, cause no matter how big or bad he is there are a number of ways you can make a single entity powerless (CC, tanking, very high single target damage). Group fights also allow the whole arsenal of your abilities shine (aoe, mind control, on kill stuff etc). Most PoE fights do include groups of enemies, but some (dragon fights) are bit too focused on a single entity for my liking. Bounties are much more satisfying and interesting boss fights in this sense. Having a group of enemies with improved AI smartly using skills/spells at their disposal should give a nice challenge. E.g. enemy priests protecting from/suppressing CC, wizards smartly targeting your weakest saves, bruisers intercepting your melee and trying to keep them engaged or going for squishier chars themselves.

Couldn't agree more. But wasn't it the case that PoE is incredibly difficult to mod, due to the sh itty Unity engine? But if someone is willing to undertake such a task to create the PoE equivalent of SCS, maybe we can create a fund to support this endeavor. I'd be willing to shell out 10-20$ for a quality AI mod, and i'm sure there's others who feel the same.

Edited by AlexDeLarge

On GoG Galaxy the patch was as big as on Steam, maybe has something to do with using a client, idk.

Can't believe people are arguing over every single nerf that happens in this game.

I remember when cipher powers were changed to cost more, there was a several pages long complaint about ciphers now being "unplayable".

I remember just for that very reason I started my Trio playthrough utilizing Grieving mother to show how good the new powers are and that it would be completely unbalanced if they cost more.

Now the Unlabored Blade nerf might have been uncalled for but it actually is not that big of a deal and doesn't make the slightest impact on actual gameplay.

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 1

Now the Unlabored Blade nerf might have been uncalled for but it actually is not that big of a deal and doesn't make the slightest impact on actual gameplay.

It's the uncalled for part than annoys me, and "annoys" is the operative word as, like you say, it doesn't make any real difference to most play throughs. Also it turns out to be fairly easy to reverse using the UABE.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Obsidian,

PoE is wonderful - the "balance" thing is crap.  I want to smash faces in with ridiculous items in PoE2. I do not want easy mode.  I want items like blackrazor, flail of the ages, the rune axe, bladesinger chain mail... I don't care that they are broken, in fact I like that they are broken... I think most people who played BG2 loved it because it was broken, because being broken and gibbing stunned glabrezu with crimson fury and an off-hand crom-faeyr on a kensai/mage felt so EPIC!!!!!! Stop nerfing broken items.  Better yet, for PoE2, just nerf them in the hardest difficulties for the rare 1% of people who are so absurdly masochistic that they need to play PotD no reload and complain about "balance."  The only weapons and armor that you can get in PotD should be toothpicks and toilet paper. Normal mode should be broken as hell - not easy - I love getting face-stomped on normal (I am not that great at this game, but I have been playing IE-style since the late 90s) - but please make my game more EPIC, i.e. not balanced. I love the mechanics in your game (not a big fan of the attacks of opportunity/escape system, but I can live with it), the world lore and graphics are stunning, the story is o.k. and I fully anticipate PoE2 will do even better.  Please put broken items into normal mode... I want to face-roll dragons with broken items in normal mode.  Also, please develop modding tools for PoE2 - I am not a mod developer, but a vibrant modding kept BG2 alive for 15 years.  PoE seems like it is sailing into the horizon at around 2 years... I think the reason is that it feels flat because it is so "balanced".  As a fairly casual player in terms of challenge desired, but die-hard fanboy of BG2, please make PoE2 normal mode broke as hell... you can apply balance fixes to PotD all you want.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Is 3.0.5 the Final patch or is 3.0.6 in the work ?

Twitch channel https://www.twitch.tv/gluurak

My Pillars of Eternity Let's Play playlist: http://bit.ly/2tlcVR5

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/GlurakLP

My Suikoden German Translation Project: http://www.snes-projects.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3131

To be fair, Feargus mentioned in the Fig comments they were discussing another patch internally to address some of the outstanding bugs. It was neither a promise nor a commitment, but it's good to know it's being considered :)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 2 weeks later...

Politically correct balance. All damages are similar.

All hail a new level of madness.

But really, Paladin is unplayable (faith should be under Res, since Res is "Charisma" and since it makes more sense) and other classes are getting less and less entertaining. I would focus on THAT, more than everything else.

Just my 2 cents

But really, Paladin is unplayable (faith should be under Res, since Res is "Charisma" and since it makes more sense)

How exactly are Paladin's unplayable?

Also I'm really failing to see how Resolve is Charisma. Sure, Might is thinly veiled Strength, but Resolve is neither similar to Charisma is it's dialogue interactions nor in its in game effects. The only way Resolve is similar to (D&D) Charisma is that it appears last on the list of six attributes.

• Like 1

They also think about an "enhanced PoE1 edition" after PoE2 comes out. That would be a port to Unity 5 then. But nothing is decided on that matter.

Hem..."enhanced" how, exactly? O.o

As I said: port to Unity 5. This would result in better graphics and better pathfinding for starters I guess.

Paladin is one of the most useful classes in the game. Also quite versatile. Can't see how they are unplayable.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Dude thats blasphemy.  Paladin is one of the most versatile classes.  and you can forgo almost every defensive skill (except weapon and shield style imo) and serve your team in 3 ways.  Tank, Support (you can be a HUGE offensive force multiplier or make your frontline extremely tanky and your backline not squishy) and extremely good burst/ AOE damage...  On my last play through with a huge INT paladin he went from 4th in damage to 2nd at the end of the game thanks to Sacred Immolation.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.