Bad News

Or they could get one of the NPCs to handle the turret. After all, when you've got a Mandalorian veteran like Canderous, an experienced smuggler like Jolee and HK-47, whose programming incudes enough knowledge of Sith fighters and their tactics to run freakin' combat sims, how much sense does it make to send some schmoe who doesn't know the fire button from the windscreen wipers?

I'm not sure if this would have worked in KOTOR, when messing up the turret game meant getting killed - I'd be pretty hacked off if some NPC got me vaporised - but in Sith Lords, where it looks like you'll only get boarded if you fail, it might be possible.

Or they could get one of the NPCs to handle the turret. After all, when you've got a Mandalorian veteran like Canderous, an experienced smuggler like Jolee and HK-47, whose programming incudes enough knowledge of Sith fighters and their tactics to run freakin' combat sims, how much sense does it make to send some schmoe who doesn't know the fire button from the windscreen wipers?

I'm not sure if this would have worked in KOTOR, when messing up the turret game meant getting killed - I'd be pretty hacked off if some NPC got me vaporised - but in Sith Lords, where it looks like you'll only get boarded if you fail, it might be possible.

Are you calling the PC some shmoe?

Laws of chance though? Contrary to what many may think, the computer isn't coded to cheat. It may be given a way better side deck than you, but once the game starts, it follows the same rules you do. I had to read the code to convince myself, because it sure seemed like it came up with Just The Right Card way too often. :blink: But it really is just running off an AI working within the same rules as the player.

-Akari

Sorry, but right now that feels a bit hard to believe for me. I've just restarted KOTOR and decided to be serious with Pazaak this time but when the AI draws its 6:th natural 20 in a row........ Well, I don't think I have to draw you a picture :angry:

Laws of chance though?  Contrary to what many may think, the computer isn't coded to cheat.  It may be given a way better side deck than you, but once the game starts, it follows the same rules you do.  I had to read the code to convince myself, because it sure seemed like it came up with Just The Right Card way too often.  :blink: But it really is just running off an AI working within the same rules as the player.

-Akari

Sorry, but right now that feels a bit hard to believe for me. I've just restarted KOTOR and decided to be serious with Pazaak this time but when the AI draws its 6:th natural 20 in a row........ Well, I don't think I have to draw you a picture :angry:

Yeah the computer is way too good at pazaak...so lucky that I think its unfair...thats partially why I don't play it...plus it takes too long and is boring. :p

Laws of chance though?  Contrary to what many may think, the computer isn't coded to cheat.  It may be given a way better side deck than you, but once the game starts, it follows the same rules you do.  I had to read the code to convince myself, because it sure seemed like it came up with Just The Right Card way too often.  :blink: But it really is just running off an AI working within the same rules as the player.

-Akari

it's hard for me to believe too. I've played Pazaak a lot and the computer is always dealt the better cards. Side deck doesn't matter if the AI draws 20 everytime. Ok, not every time but they always seem to have the right card at the right time. No way is that a random occurance.

I've found that when playing Pazaak, if you hold your cards pretty much the same as the computer does (say hitting on a fifteen or sixteen) doing stuff that would be certain to make you lose in the real world, it's alot easier to beat the opponent. Basically, it's just as lucky and 'cheating' for you as it is for the computer. It's just that compared to real world odds, it is a little whimsical with the luck it gives both sides. All in all, once I got used to the element of risk and chance they had in the game, I was able to clean up fairly easily with the occasional reload. :p

Also, hold your cards as long as you can. There's nothing better than having three cards in your hand to choose from, while the computer is down to his last one. :blink:

It may be given a way better side deck than you

but isn't that the same thing as cheating? who'd want to play black jack if the dealer had his own deck with better cards in it...

The Pazaak card game is definitely getting some love from us designer types and will have some changes. Rich (Akari) touched on some of them. It is still going to be an optional part of the game. But hopefully there will be even more to like for you Pazaak fans out there. :p

-Ferret

The Pazaak card game is definitely getting some love from us designer types

here's hoping you at least wipe it down afterwards, then. because not all of us want your sloppy seconds.

dumber than a bag of hammers

By the way, what will determine who starts now in a pazaak game in KOTOR2?

Right now it's just alternating. Player goes first for the first set, AI goes first for the next set, etc.

-Akari

Sweet! B)

I hated the fact that you always had to draw first in KotOR. It put you in an immediate disadvantage. :angry:

manthing2.jpg

Yeah, I was always happy when the computer drew higher cards than me in the first few draws, so I could see where it stopped before deciding for myself. Pazaak was definitely the best of the three mini-games in KotOR. I think it would be interesting if certain NPCs would react differently if you had played Pazaak with them a bunch of times. If you're looking for information, they might not want to talk to a complete stranger, but if you were hanging out at the cantina playing Pazaak with them the night before, they might be more friendly. On the other hand, if you beat them every time and left them without enough money to pay their bar tab, they might be a bit irritated.

-Kasoroth

but isn't that the same thing as cheating? who'd want to play black jack if the dealer had his own deck with better cards in it...

The Pazaak card game is definitely getting some love from us designer types and will have some changes. Rich (Akari) touched on some of them. It is still going to be an optional part of the game. But hopefully there will be even more to like for you Pazaak fans out there. :)

-Ferret

Is pazaak getting a cosmetic overhaul as well? I mean, the game was fun to play, but man was it ugly. Individual looking cards (ie. not plain boxes with numbers in) would brighten the game up no end.

The Pazaak card game is definitely getting some love from us designer types and will have some changes. Rich (Akari) touched on some of them. It is still going to be an optional part of the game. But hopefully there will be even more to like for you Pazaak fans out there. :p

-Ferret

Is pazaak getting a cosmetic overhaul as well? I mean, the game was fun to play, but man was it ugly. Individual looking cards (ie. not plain boxes with numbers in) would brighten the game up no end.

I think that would be a nice idea.

It could be like pokemon! Everyone loves pokemon! :)

good news about not behing forced to play first.

That said I must say I am not enthused about pazaak either. I really can't understand how you can praise this game for its strategical qualities. It is a money game ; just like for its inspirarion, blackjack, the thrill, if there is any, comes from the gambling, not from the actual play. Ever heard of someone playing blackjack without any money involved? I haven't, at least no one sane. For various reasons it doesn't translate very well in a video game. I wouldn't play blackjack because I have better things to do with my money, and I'm not very much into pazaak because I don't really care about loosing pixel-money, espeacially when I can reload. Things would be made much better if the game was used in side-quests, but in my mind this only reinforce what I think, in and of itself, pazaak is not a captivating game.

I'd much prefer something like this (canasta makes for fun two player card games I think, and this version is very good and fast paced) :

http://www.pagat.com/invented/manzana.html

OK the AI might be slightly more complicated ;)

So instead why not this :D :

http://www.shogi.net/shogi.html

(with this one at least I'd be pretty sure to beat whatever you can come up with)

just wanted to say thanks to Ferret and Akari for the info on the changes that will be made to Pazaak. sounds pretty cool. imho i don't have a problem with the old one at all,in fact i love playing it, i get caught up playing it way too long sometimes. there's even some guy on the bio ware forum who made a lil downloadable online version of Pazaak, and it absolutely rules, just like in the game, but playing against your buddies online. very cool!!