What's on the idiot box?

Rosbjerg

Started a run through of Marvel's Luke Cage. Had to chuckle over how they slipped the old comic costume in for the prison escape.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It gets better yeah, like all ST shows it starts cheesy and weak- I think Voyager was the first where I felt it started fairly strong- but that just got progressively worse.

Enterprise gets better yeah, although it never really reaches any level of 'great'. It's the most forgettable contribution to the setting, on par with the new movies.

I thought season 4 was some of the best Trek. I believe is was partially fan funded so the creative team made it all hardcore Trek fanservice, dealing with the Augments, the Original Series Klingons having no forehead ridges, Mirror Universe, etc. The Mirror Universe episodes were awesome, opening with the First Contact scene and the theme song dealing with the rise of the Terran Empire.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Finished off Luke Cage.

I have to say, that a:) Rosario Dawson as Claire Temple = the hero in Marvel's tv shows, and that b:) Theo Rossi as Shades pretty much stole all of his scenes and (along with how it was written) turned a barely there comic character into a commanding performance and interesting character.

• Like 1

Supergirl - Very good. At least so far the 2nd season seems to be staying away from an over the top feminist SJW Nazi agenda. Makes it even more entertaining. And, props to nu Supes - he is nowhere near as bad as I thought he'd be. He won me over for the most part - almost to the point I wouldn't mind him getting his own show... Yeah, I the perfect Volo, have admitted I *might8 be wrong on something. R00fles!

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Arrow is actually pretty good this season. 3 episodes and the worst of them was still decent quality.

It and Flash have the same problem with every second villain just being an evil version of the hero. How many damned archers are out there?

Devastatorsig.jpg

Arrow is actually pretty good this season. 3 episodes and the worst of them was still decent quality.

It and Flash have the same problem with every second villain just being an evil version of the hero. How many damned archers are out there?

I don't think that's Arrow's problem particularly- Flash, yes, too many speedsters and when it comes right down to it speed is a somewhat limited ability and there are only so many ways you can use it during your 23 episodes per year; that and the rather formulaic episode/ plot structure where 90% of the time Barry gets his arse kicked then gets a pep talk, some tech and wins later on gets tiring.

While Flash has been the better series over the past two years overall, by far, I would not criticise Arrow for having too many archers, personally. Both Flash series' antagonists have been speedsters, only one Arrow series' antagonist (excluding S5, as there may well be a second one) has been an archer- Malcolm Merlyn. Have to admit that I can't remember too many archer villains of the week either, just Cupid, Komodo and I guess various League of Assassin mooks might count as well.

Hooten and the Lady. This is a great show. Love it.

It's cheesy pulptastic fun adventure romp.

• Like 1

Finished Luke Cage.  I was excited they ended with a Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings appearance, that's one of my favorites.  Simply put, this joins both Daredevil and Jessica Jones as excellent TV.  Harlem was the real star of this series, they made the city a central focus and it was well done.  Luke Cage and Shades were also standouts.  I thought it slowed down a bit in the second half, but that was probably because I preferred Cottonmouth to Diamondback. 

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

Nicely glossy and utterly weird. Nicely catching the whole vibe of the books. Although it's definitely putting me in the frame that it might be best to wait for the whole season to be done and then binge watch it.

• Like 1

Supergirl - Not a bad episode but the whole attack on the President was stupid. The assassin supposedly was targeting the Pres (ending makes me doubt that though) yet the assassin only seemed to attacked her bodyguards. LMAO So.. this was either done on purpose because the assassin was working with the Prez and it was set up to show how 'progressive' she is as she does her diabolical plan or the assassin is beyond stupid.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Finally getting through Luke Cage but getting increasingly bored since Diamondback came in and replaced Cottonmouth. It's a pattern these Marvel shows are developing that only the first season of Daredevil avoided. Stories with emotional weight and interesting characters being built up, then replaced with more traditional Superhero stuff. Jessica Jones took a long boring break from Kilgrave to deal with Nuke, Daredevil season 2 has the awesome Punisher story building into a Kingpin story suddenly taking a backseat to The Hand and now Luke Cage drops a charismatic villain they were building up halfway through the season to replace him with a run of the mill psychopath. If you don't have enough material for ~15 episode season, make shorter seasons.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 3

Started on The Crown. Am really enjoying it. Superbcasting, though not huge on John Lithgow as Churchill

Devastatorsig.jpg