Music. Must. Go on!

Gorth

played some nina simone for a friend o' ours recent.  she weren't impressed.

"that guy can't sing."

have mentioned previous in this thread how much we appreciate the talents o' nina simone

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80512-music-must-go-on/?p=1810614

doesn't happen often, but the aforementioned criticism o' one o' favorite female vocalists rendered us speechless... and mortified.

HA! Good Fun!

Shady, I think that you have justifiable grounds for murder and I won't think less of you if you decide to kill this "friend" of yours.

Unless of course they have repented and embraced the high priestess of Soul.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...

"I don’t care if it’s a Target. I don’t care if it’s a TJ Maxx. I don’t care if it’s K-Mart. They have sweatpants. It’s required by law for them to have sweatpants. Sometimes it’s Russell. Sometimes it’s Hanes. Champion. McGregor. It doesn’t matter- you will get a good price! But you know what, man? You can’t put a price on personal improvement. Believe that. Now listen up: You walk into that store. You walk to directly to that section. You know where it is. Don’t act like you don’t! You go to the section, you find a pair, and you put those on right there in the store. Let them see you do it! Let them see the new you. Because you’re different now. It’s real- it’s not in your head! Then take a good look at yourself and tell me you haven’t achieved a new level of power, freedom, and physical comfort. Now some people are going to say, 'You look like an idiot!' You know what I say to those people? I say...

Move back when i'm wearing my sweatpants. 

Stay back when i'm wearing my sweatpants. 

Kick back when i'm wearing my sweatpants. 

Come back when you've bought some sweatpants."  

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

remembering warren zevon's b-day

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/warren-zevon/biography

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

was thinking 'bout ferris bueller in another thread.

HA! Good Fun!

My favorite thrash band from my youth, Sepultura, one of Brazil's most famous bands.  There is a period that most highly talented bands experience, a sort of golden age.  In their early years they put out an album or two, three in some extreme cases, where there is a lot of inspiration and creativity, but the band lacks polish, professionalism.  Later in their career they put out albums that are polished and professional but lack inspiration and creativity.  The great bands put out an album or two (three or even four in the most extremely fortunate cases) where creativity and polish intersect to produce something really special (e.g. Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime, Metallica - Master of Puppets, Rush - A Farewell to Kings, etc). 

Anyway, here are a couple of track off Sepultura's 2 "intersect" albums:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks