3.04? Update on our next patch

Heh, been away for far too long XD

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

This is not a bug but rather a feature request, which I totally understand not being possible at this stage. If so, then at least hopefully it will be an integral part of PoE2 and other future Obsidian games.

I am hearing impaired, meaning I can hear (with a hearing aid) but have great difficulty following speech and especially electronically generated speech. Right now, words spoken by characters (party companions or NPCs) that are not directly addressed to the PC, i.e. background comments/conversations, do not show up on closed captioning or that conversation box in the bottom right corner. Sometimes there's a popup next to the character but not always, and it fades very quickly maybe before I've even noticed it. Just wondering if that conversation box can be set up to show any and all words spoken in the game no matter the context?

• Like 2

Pathfinding issues. Ever since beta one or two of my party members will spaz and jitter around indefinitely if the party formation puts them in a spot they don't like. Does this happen so consistently to anyone else? Minor problem since you can just click stop to make them still again but it's highly distracting and everytime I pick up the game every few months I'm a little surprised it hasn't been fixed

Yes, I've been seeing the same pathfinding issues you mention. It's a big distraction when I'm trying to focus on combat. :cat:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This is not a bug but rather a feature request, which I totally understand not being possible at this stage. If so, then at least hopefully it will be an integral part of PoE2 and other future Obsidian games.

I am hearing impaired, meaning I can hear (with a hearing aid) but have great difficulty following speech and especially electronically generated speech. Right now, words spoken by characters (party companions or NPCs) that are not directly addressed to the PC, i.e. background comments/conversations, do not show up on closed captioning or that conversation box in the bottom right corner. Sometimes there's a popup next to the character but not always, and it fades very quickly maybe before I've even noticed it. Just wondering if that conversation box can be set up to show any and all words spoken in the game no matter the context?

Hey kanisatha,

Can you be more specific? I was under the impression that all of our VO populates in our dialogue log. 

- Sking

Pathfinding issues. Ever since beta one or two of my party members will spaz and jitter around indefinitely if the party formation puts them in a spot they don't like. Does this happen so consistently to anyone else? Minor problem since you can just click stop to make them still again but it's highly distracting and everytime I pick up the game every few months I'm a little surprised it hasn't been fixed

Yes, I've been seeing the same pathfinding issues you mention. It's a big distraction when I'm trying to focus on combat. :cat:

It's not a consistent thing though; at least, I don't get this glitch. I may have had it once or twice, but if I did it was so infrequent that I can't recall for sure if I did. The Goldpact Knight in the Stronghold does quite consistently do this do (or something like it), after you build the Forum I think.

It's not a consistent thing though; at least, I don't get this glitch. I may have had it once or twice, but if I did it was so infrequent that I can't recall for sure if I did. The Goldpact Knight in the Stronghold does quite consistently do this do (or something like it), after you build the Forum I think.

Possibly it's related to the type of tactics you employ. Prior to combat I tend to use terrain to anchor one side of the formation, and there the walkpathing issues tend to appear in the back line. But yes it is infrequent, albeit immersion breaking.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

[…]

Hey kanisatha,

Can you be more specific? I was under the impression that all of our VO populates in our dialogue log. 

- Sking

Can happen when the „Linux scroll to bottom left after area transition“ bug (oh, one more for the list) is not prevented by mouse moves. Then, i think to remember, if you have your party not on the screen or close by and don't get the start of the conversation you also get no text in the textbox.

• Like 1

*** --> Wrong Calcul of critical hit damages.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84542-30-sabra-marie-calcul-bug/?hl=critic

> Few month ago there is a problem with that (Sabra marie)

The min damage critical was outside the expected target. (Min of min.)

My topic has no answer ? The problem is solve ?

-----------------

*** --> The elemental damage via +20 % is not applied for elemental weapon (Talent)

Bittercuter / Stormcaller. Bonus damages is elemental. Is the bonus is resolved ?

Edited by theBalthazar

Second issue's solved, although the side effect is that the talent now applies to both kinds of damage dealt by the weapon.

Don't know about the other one.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yeah, I too would suggest that you guys just focus on bugfixing. New features and rebalancing inevitably will bring new bugs, and I doubt someone would want that.

I'd like to report one bug that started to occur since 3.03. No one else reported it - at least I never saw it - so I suppose this is difficult to reproduce and very situational, but still:

- After you start a new game and quickload and any point, it's possible that, upon reload, the message "You have successfully installed White March" will appear. You click "Okay", it disappears, but after any reload of any save, it will appear again. And again. I don't know if this is harmless, since it's the new game: who knows, maybe this resets add-on progress or something, maybe not, but it's hardly the most pleasant thought.

The only workaround I have found - Immediately after new game begins, quicksave and then quickload. The message may disappear; if not, try to load autosave created at the start. If not, alternate between loading these two until it happens. So far it worked, I suppose, somewhat stubbornly, but worked. But I don't know if it will appear again in the future, nor do I know what to do in such a case. More importantly, if this message indeed resets the addon or something, I don't know if this fixes it altogether or just stops spawning the message while resetting the progress just the same.

And if you can, look into this Chanter Rime traps bug littering the save file, please.

Hey kanisatha,

- Sking

Sking, thanks a bunch for following up on this. Essentially, quite often in the game I will clearly hear the sound of someone saying something, either one of my party members or an NPC, but where I didn't actually catch the words. So then I immediately check the dialog box but there's nothing there.

I should note, though, that I haven't played the game since v.2 so it is possible that changes were made to the dialog box such that now it does show all spoken words. I am already such a huge chronic restarter that I didn't want to keep restarting my game even more often with each new patch, so I decided to wait to return to the game after all the major patching was done. :)

[…]

Hey kanisatha,

- Sking

Can happen when the „Linux scroll to bottom left after area transition“ bug (oh, one more for the list) is not prevented by mouse moves. Then, i think to remember, if you have your party not on the screen or close by and don't get the start of the conversation you also get no text in the textbox.

Oh wow! Very interesting. So maybe that's what it is. I will keep this in mind in the future. Thanks for sharing!

Second issue's solved, although the side effect is that the talent now applies to both kinds of damage dealt by the weapon.

Don't know about the other one.

Depends on the weapon/spell though, it only checks the primary damage type. So weapons like Stormcaller and Bittercut indeed gets the +20% Shock/Corrode from the elemental talents, regardless of whether they end up doing Shock/Corrode damage. But Durance's Staff or Minoletta's Missiles don't get any bonus even if they do end up doing Burn/Corrode damage, because that's not their primary damage type. 

Getting the latter to (always) get the bonus would be very easy to do, not sure whether them being left out was intentional or an oversight. Fixing it completely however (ie. getting the bonus iff the actual damage done is of the appropriate type) would be quite difficult given the way the code is set up.

• Like 1

Sking, could you log a ticket for that?

At this point it would be good to at least have consistency in how these items and spells are treated (e.g. Minoletta's Missiles and Durance's staff should get the appropriate bonus from elemental talents.)

Sking, thanks a bunch for following up on this. Essentially, quite often in the game I will clearly hear the sound of someone saying something, either one of my party members or an NPC, but where I didn't actually catch the words. So then I immediately check the dialog box but there's nothing there.

Not that I want to intrude, but are you talking about dialogue that might trigger in fights (for example when someone is KO'd)?

Not that I want to intrude, but are you talking about dialogue that might trigger in fights (for example when someone is KO'd)?

That would be one potential situation, yes, but others as well.

BTW, I'd also like to reiterate issue already mentioned by someone in this thread. If running two instances of a game causes saves to corrupt and progress to reset, you should definitely try to include some fail-safe mechanism to prevent that from happening. "The game is already running" message or something. Losing progress just because Steam froze momentarily and you clicked the second time to "Play", or accidentally pressed Enter several times... well, yeah.

Focus on the bug fixing, I'd say. Some more for the list, with links to corresponding Tech forum threads for description:

- Ancient Memory / Beloved Spirits breaking off when you stop chanting (I'd say strip the duration and "once per encounter" parameter, should still be balanced enough)

- Stun on crit weapon effects themselves always getting crit duration (very simple fix, see thread)

- Triggered AOE / pulse AOE effects getting modified by concurrent special attacks like rogue Strikes and Knockdown (eg. Consecrated Ground, Black Path)

- Skeletal Wizard Necrotic Lance bug

- Carnage with Bash shield triggering a second Bash hit (+ Carnage)

- Invisibility bug, and particularly the adjacent bug of Backstab not working when using special attack from Invisibility

- Backstab + Strike ability with dual-wielding only gets the Backstab on the second attack, not the first

- Some stronger Oozes getting +10 to minimum received DR-adjusted damage (potentially increasing DR-adjusted damage beyond the pre-DR damage amount 

- Infestation of Maggots referencing lost Health rather than lost Endurance and consequently doing very little damage

- Vital Essence giving far more Health than described, giving the Health boost permanently, and having incorrect descriptions (Potion and Spell don't match)

- Trap accuracy penalties (and bonuses) are twice as large as described; Poison Dart trap has +41 ACC on top of that.

- Invisible buttons, for example on exit confirmation

- Iconic Projection occasionally hitting multiple times; also Torment's Reach consistently hitting multiple times (same thread, and here), though that is an unrelated bug despite somewhat similar manifestation

- Charm effects ending early

- Minoletta's Minor Missiles scroll does more base damage than Wizard spell

- Mirrored Image spell/potion description says +25 Deflection, but gives +30 (initially)

- Area of Effect bonus from Intellect is bonus to AOE radius, whereas other Area of Effect bonuses (eg. Voice of the Mountaintop) give the bonus to AOE area, which is unclear and makes the latter quite underwhelming (eg. the +20% area from Voice is worth +9.5% radius, equivalent to about 1.6 points of INT)

(- Also Confident Aim and Psychic Backlash, but I believe those are already fixed)

Thank you for the summary. In particular the Chanter issue is most vexing.

I returned recently to try out White March part 2 a year after I played part 1 and found that the Chanter's signature class talents, which Obsidian broke in 2.0 when they changed how the fighter and chanter constant effect abilities were applied* remained in their miserable state of worthlessness. Queue disappointment. Assuming that a sequel draws on the PoE codebase, this is something that must be fixed sooner or later.

* from constant effect to timed buff applied at start of combat, which meant that the original Chanter functionality of "works whenever you are chanting" became "works from start of combat until you stop chanting (for whatever reason)".

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Zealous Focus textual bug: When two or more paladins are in the same group and both have Zealous Focus the stat page will show +6 Accuracy, +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), which is correct. The bug is that it says this upwards of 10 times so it'll look like this.

+6 Accuracy, +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed), +15% of Grazes converted to Hits (Suppressed)

I think the stun on crit weapon durations should definitely be fixed (see my thread, with Loren Tyr proposing a fix as per usual based on prone on crit weapons which currently aren't bugged). As a quick rundown they currently last for much longer than they should do, making a Barbarian using such a weapon pretty absurdly powerful rather than just, you know, powerful.

Other than that it seems like you have a great set of fixes lined up, and it's good to hear you're now asking the community seeing as this is going to be (probably) the final patch. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Loren Tyr, teach me to not read a thread throroughly before posting.

Edited by Jojobobo
  • Like 1

*** --> Wrong Calcul of critical hit damages.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84542-30-sabra-marie-calcul-bug/?hl=critic

> Few month ago there is a problem with that (Sabra marie)

The min damage critical was outside the expected target. (Min of min.)

My topic has no answer ? The problem is solve ?

I have checked this just now, damage for the bow on critical hit are inside the range they are supposed to be, both with and without Durgan enchantment. One caveat here: the Durgan Refinement on weapons actually only gives +25% damage on Crit, not +30%. This is how it is encoded in the asset files, I suspect that it is shown incorrectly in the item description due to rounding (ie. for displaying On Crit multiplies bonus, the rounding is set to one decimal place rather than two; I assume it is specified by parameter type anyway, since Interrupt duration does get two decimal places, if needed). 

• Like 1

If this hasn't been mentioned yet, it definitely needs fixing:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84465-30-consecrated-ground-triggers-eyestrike-from-elryns-jacket/

• Like 1

I guess in addition to the bugs, now is probably the time to review any mechanics that might be working in ways that weren't anticipated. The ones that spring to mind are:

Blood Testament raw damage and Turning Wheel burn damage applying to Retaliation, Battle-Forged, Flame Shield and Jolting Touch. This allows for your combo of retaliation strikes to easily stack up to above 100 damage per hit, which is by all accounts pretty high especially when you can sit pretty on your Iron Wheel and Battle-Forged insanely high DR (in conjunction with whatever absurd armor you want to wear, as you don't even really need to actively attack with the retaliation effects). There's also the fact to consider that Turning Wheel is an extremely early ability, so you can start using this combo in a fashion as early as Gilded Vale.

I know for me now, there's no way I would have a Monk with these effects active as they almost totally eclipse what you can do with other Monk builds.

Blast producing AoE Envenomed Strikes and Runner's Wounding Shots. It seems a little counter-intuitive that Carnage (where you could directly apply poison to a weapon and have it make contact with multiple foes) doesn't allow for envenomed strikes but Blast (where whatever projectile you're using explodes making it unlikely the poison would carry over distance in the the air, or something like that) does. The internal consistency just seems a little off, really either both or neither should be working in this case.

I'm not necessarily saying that these effects are bugged or broken, but it might be worth reviewing if they are working as intended or not as they do see to be on the highly powerful side. Some of these effects seem to err on the Reaping Knives with Monk unarmed side of things which was patched out.

Edited by Jojobobo