Coup or attempted coup in Turkey

Malcador

It seems as though the coup has definitively failed at this point, for anyone still wondering.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I am dissappoint

But late last night when various public figures were supporting the government and even Obama said something to that effect I realized they had actually done the unthinkable, attempted a coup without securing outside support from the major powers.

It would never occur to me the army would actually try a genuine local revolt, without preparing the political foundations.

This is why they failed. Stuck without political support the whole thing crumbles before it can stabilize.

Failing to capture and kill Erdogan straight away was a mistake, failing to execute the top political figures while they had them at their mercy and allowing Erdogans supporters to get to the streets without many casualties - all too meek. That is not how things are done if you're not sure of the outcome.

Kudos to Zoraptor for seeing the big picture.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I wonder if this will be seen as the last breath of Kemalism in Turkey and the future now belong to those who wish it to be more like Iran (governmentally and culturally speaking). 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well I guess every cloud has a silver lining.  :biggrin:

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

But late last night when various public figures were supporting the government and even Obama said something to that effect I realized they had actually done the unthinkable, attempted a coup without securing outside support from the major powers.

Obama & co. threw their support behind Erdoğan, but they weren't too quick to do it. From what I saw, only after it was plain that the coup was full of fail, did they come out and demand respect for 'constitutional order' and such.

I'm thinking if the coup had been successful, they would instead 'express deep concern for the recent events in Turkey' or some diplomatic rubbish along those lines, but little else.

Rule of thumb with coups d'état, if you can't present everyone, within and without, with a fait accompli, you'll end up before a firing squad.

Question is whether this will weaken Erdoğan's position in the long run, or strengthen him as his enemies within are defeated for good.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Obama & co. threw their support behind Erdoğan, but they weren't too quick to do it. From what I saw, only after it was plain that the coup was full of fail, did they come out and demand respect for 'constitutional order' and such.

I'm thinking if the coup had been successful, they would instead 'express deep concern for the recent events in Turkey' or some diplomatic rubbish along those lines, but little else.

Rule of thumb with coups d'état, if you can't present everyone, within and without, with a fait accompli, you'll end up before a firing squad.

Question is whether this will weaken Erdoğan's position in the long run, or strengthen him as his enemies within are defeated for good.

They were on the fence in the start, but the fact that no major power really supported the coup suggests that they were going to slog through this thing alone. And for that they needed to be a lot more vicious. CNN was practically shilling for Erdogan from the start, helping to relay his message in a key moment when he was cut off from everything. 

When I saw the videos of soldiers letting "protesters" climb on the tanks with open hatches it became plain they don't have the resolve to see this thing through.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

Turkey has been a state for a  very long time, whereas Ukraine barely qualifies for the term.

I am dissappoint

I am not dissapoint. Erdogan anounce castration of Turkish army and we support him now o:)

25628480.jpg

Sure, sure. But how do you curtial the rise of islamism in the region? Like or not, Kemalism brought stability whereas Erdogan's policies....not so much.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I am dissappoint

I am not dissapoint. Erdogan anounce castration of Turkish army and we support him now o:)

25628480.jpg

Sure, sure. But how do you curtial the rise of islamism in the region? Like or not, Kemalism brought stability whereas Erdogan's policies....not so much.

But Turkey is NATO member/EU future member. Not our problem :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :p

Erdogan was helped into office by USA back in the day, but he had great plans for Turkey that did not coincide with US interests in the region so the relationship between them got sour. Lately there was talk about a probable coup incited by USA to topple Erdogan and replace him with a more submissive pawn so, considering how the current coup apparently had no strategic or tactical planning, it's probable that Erdogan staged a fake coup himself to boost his own popularity with the masses and find an excuse to thin the dissenters from the ranks of the army. 

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I am dissappoint

25628480.jpg

But Turkey is NATO member/EU future member. Not our problem :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :p

For having an islamic NATO-member with nuclear warheads on your doorstep, you sure have an interesting definition on what is a problem or not. Or i have simply failed to understand russian humor once again.

Erdogan was helped into office by USA back in the day, but he had great plans for Turkey that did not coincide with US interests in the region so the relationship between them got sour. Lately there was talk about a probable coup incited by USA to topple Erdogan and replace him with a more submissive pawn so, considering how the current coup apparently had no strategic or tactical planning, it's probable that Erdogan staged a fake coup himself to boost his own popularity with the masses and find an excuse to thin the dissenters from the ranks of the army. 

If the aftermath goes into the memory-hole then you might be on to something.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Best ads of Turkish Army evar. Join to military forces lol.

They don't need ads, there is conscription in Turkey. I wouldn't expect frightened 20-somethings who may or may not have been threatened with disciplinary action to go along with this, to make for very good shock troops against their own population.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Suprised how many people are surprised that the army didn't just gun down all civilians.

Did you really think that would happen? What do you think the international response HAD to be if that happened? If 5000+ died? I'm sure it would make it a little difficult for the EU/US to actually go "yay coup-people" as they want to do and more into the regions of "we should probably take that country from these animals".

Also the irony that most haters of Assad are now feeling so sad civilians didn't get shot. What is it, one or the other? You can't be EU-politian and just change your opinion on the spot.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

No. Shooting at the crowd would have been a much bigger disaster for them strategically. What they needed were supporters of their own and political allies.

As for Syria. There is no "good" outcome there anymore if either side wins. There is Assad and there are the jihadis. The latter might have been decent once, when they were protesters on the street, but they offer nothing but a Mad Max world anymore.

edit: Apparently 2700 turkish judges were fired. This list could not have been made in a few hours. It must have been prepared in advance and waiting for the right time.

Edited by Fighter

Civilians certainly were shoot and there are even videos of tanks running over people in the streets.

And west got over shooting of civilians in Egypt fairly quickly so that wasn't really the problem.

Whatever force planned it simply couldn't secure the streets fast enough.

If they had so little support in the army and almost no popular support in the capital this was never going to get far.

The mistake was not getting important political figures and eliminating them fast. They rallied withing a few hours, which shouldn't really have been allowed to happen.

Suprised how many people are surprised that the army didn't just gun down all civilians.

If you're going to go for a coup you've got to be prepared to be ruthless about it because you can bet the other side will be if you're not. That's what the Egyptian military did when deposing Morsi, and it worked. If you're not prepared to really go through with it then you're better off not doing it at all. And doing it requires, basically, both the will and a proper plan to decapitate the government both figuratively and if necessary, literally.

Also the irony that most haters of Assad are now feeling so sad civilians didn't get shot. What is it, one or the other? You can't be EU-politian and just change your opinion on the spot.

They're not necessarily the same people. Most foreign people want Erdogan gone whether or not they're pro Assad. And publicly at least the big anti Assad players all came out for Erdogan.

Edited by Zoraptor

edit: Apparently 2700 turkish judges were fired. This list could not have been made in a few hours. It must have been prepared in advance and waiting for the right time.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. The purges are proceeding with blinding speed. This was a military uprising, what's the excuse to summarily dismiss thousands of judges?

They are also considering bringing back the death penalty for participants in the coup. Looks like "democracy" has been preserved, alright.

I wouldn't want to be a Turk right now.

• Like 1

Well, as we say back home "pukovnik il' pokojnik", which in direct translation would be something like "colonel or corpse", meaning all or nothing. 

They didn't really go for broke and now they're at Erdogan's mercy. Along with a ton of people that are going to be swept away using the coup as an excuse.