Coup or attempted coup in Turkey

Malcador

Show must go on.

https://twitter.com/Conflicts

Mosques are still calling people to the streets in Ankara, a rough translation: "with the invitation of our President Erdogan we expect people of Turkey to take the streets, especially Kizilay square, and protect the democracy".

Turkey's İncirlik Air Base - used by US-led coalition to hit ISIS- sealed off, power cut off, US Consulate says

Turkish media report that pro-coup elements of the military have taken over a Frigate at Gölcük naval base

Turkey’s far-left DHKP-C calls on followers to arm themselves in anticipation of police crackdown following #TurkeyCoup

There are pictures far worse that are circulating than soldiers beaten with a belt... Gotta feel bad for soldiers that chose not to pull the trigger and got their heads kicked in.

Especially given they're all conscripts not professionals.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I am dissappoint

I am not dissapoint. Erdogan anounce castration of Turkish army and we support him now o:)

25628480.jpg

Sure, sure. But how do you curtial the rise of islamism in the region? Like or not, Kemalism brought stability whereas Erdogan's policies....not so much.

But Turkey is NATO member/EU future member. Not our problem :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :p

The wackoloons who would accept Turkey into the EU, are absolutely not friends of Russia, and it's that lack of friendliness which is a primary reason some want Turkey in the EU to begin with. Turkey being in the EU would likely ultimately be a big problem for everyone.

Hopefully the EU falls apart before that insane harbinger of war becomes a reality.

I'd love to know how they rationalized the coup among the commanders/soldiers. As in, what they were actually "fighting for". We didn't get to hear any of that unfortunately.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

The Turkish military has seen itself traditionally as the protector of Kemalist laicism, an ideology that has been steadily abandoned by Erdogan's rule in the last few years. Erdogan has made quite a lot of progress in bringing the military under civilian rule, bringing supporters of his into positions of power in the same time. If some in the military wanted to use the armed forces to reinstate Kemalism and curtail the AKP's Islamist policies, they had to act soon - in fact, the putsch probably has shown that the majority of the military was not prepared to do that, any more, for various reasons.

But as far as we know, the insurgents have said very little about their aims, yes. So while the coup d'état may resemble earlier ones, it remains speculation that that is the case.

It's been a gift to Erdogan, though, that's certain. I don't think the existence of a list of judges to be fired proves anything, though. The conflict with real and perceived supporters of Gülen is nothing new, and they probably would've looked for reasons to fire those people in the next months or years, anyway; the coup just provided the opportunity to speed things up, considerably.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

With these mass arrests I have a suspicion that figures within Turkey may have expected a purge incoming and tried to act preemptively with the coup. That could explain their relative weakness during the whole execution.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

This whole thing stinks a lot. Also - what a surprise - it helps Erdogan. Like, a lot. And what a surprise, he wasn't around when the coup attempt happened.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Its sometimes a sound strategy to start a coup when the relevant political leader is abroad because if the thing is done properly, he won't have anywhere to come back to.  But him merely being in another part of the country, apparently out of reach of the coup forces doesn't seem sound.

CnebIF6WEAAGeNU.jpg

Turkish gov arrests 490 soldiers in #Sirnak, deployed to fight #PKK, for backing coup

Turkish Minister @suleymansoylu announces that #US is behind coup attempt on Haberturk TV 

Pro-Kurdish HDP offices under attack in by pro-Erdogan supporters in Iskenderun, Malatya and Osmaniye

Nice to see how Turkish government squash these useless "Kurdish" opportunists, weakened own army who fight against PKK and send imperialistic US GTFO. Just think how much help they do for Kurdish independence.

Kurdish PKK supports neither Turkish govt nor coup participants

“The Kurds take no side in the conflict… We cannot support any of the sides which establish the system where there is no place either for the Kurdish people and for democracy,” the PKK statement said.

http://ekurd.net/pkk-turkish-government-coup-2016-07-16

What i think about this coup? Turkish nationalists from military forces vs Turkish Islamists - well, no good dudes here, and their fight against each other is best things what can happened in this country. We just have pleasure from this show.

Gülen is already regretting fleeing to US.

Erdogan the Great was smart staging this before Trump's election.

Turks so strongly cosplay Ukrainian hate against own Army Maidan... it's can have interresting consequences...  Russian Referendum in Constantinopolis, or maybe rise of Great Armenia... who know?

%D0%A2%D1%83%D1%80%D1%86%D0%B8%D1%8F-%D0

It's like people are trying to meme this into life:

CafcW2OWIAAErzG.jpg

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, *shrug*, he's right.

"Moderate Islam" is a western construct for internal debates.

Moderate is just a relative term. Moderate islam doesn't exist in the sense that there's a sect called 'moderate islam' any more than moderate christianity exists in the same sense as catholicism or greek orthodox exists. But moderate islam certainly exists in the sense that it's moderate compared to ISIS takfirism or Saudi Wahhabism. The real problem with Islam is the same as the real problem with Christianity, you can interpret it however you want to justify whatever you want then pat yourself on the back for being morally correct too.

This whole thing stinks a lot. Also - what a surprise - it helps Erdogan. Like, a lot. And what a surprise, he wasn't around when the coup attempt happened.

While Erdogan is taking advantage of it- it's more than just suspicious when you're dismissing as many judges as you have arrested soldiers following a coup attempt, there was clearly a list of wrong thinkers drawn up waiting for an opportunity to be used- there's very very little to no chance that the coup itself was a set up. If there's anything everyone agrees with about Erdogan it's that he's an egotist and there was far too much stuff happening that damaged his image, even just the fact that a coup was attempted damages it. If it was a set up he wouldn't be using facebook to try to address the nation etc.

He just plain isn't that pragmatic; quite the reverse he's made a multitude of errors based on emotion and ego.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/16/fethullah-gulen-turkey-coup-erdogan

"Fethullah Gülen: Turkey coup may have been 'staged' by Erdoğan regime"

Erdogan blames Gulen, Gulen blames Erdogan. Hm.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

While Erdogan is taking advantage of it- it's more than just suspicious when you're dismissing as many judges as you have arrested soldiers following a coup attempt, there was clearly a list of wrong thinkers drawn up waiting for an opportunity to be used- there's very very little to no chance that the coup itself was a set up. If there's anything everyone agrees with about Erdogan it's that he's an egotist and there was far too much stuff happening that damaged his image, even just the fact that a coup was attempted damages it. If it was a set up he wouldn't be using facebook to try to address the nation etc.

He just plain isn't that pragmatic; quite the reverse he's made a multitude of errors based on emotion and ego.

I think it was too complicated and crazy to be a setup. At one point, the higher ups of the Armed Forces were taken hostage by the coup-ers - supposedly because they were political appointees by Erdogan, and the original higher ups had been purged years earlier. So many bad things could've happened with just that - nevermind the idiots who were blowing up the Grand Assembly, the central lawmaking body in the country...and then with Erdogan trying to gain asylum in Germany and doing the face-time thing while still in his plane. It was just too chaotic and disorganized to be a setup, it seems to me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

So now Turks effectively blocked the US air operations over ME as they have first cut off the Incirlik airbase from supplies and now they are arresting officers stationing there and overseeing the operations from the Turk side.

Edited by Darkpriest

So now Turks effectively blocked the US air operations over ME as they have first cut off the Incirlik airbase from supplies and now they are arresting officers stationing there and overseeing the operations from the Turk side.

Yes but this   will only be a temporary cessation of the airstrikes, Turkey needs time to assess this coup and there will  be numerous arrests 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yes but this only  will be a temporary cessation of the airstrikes, Turkey needs time to assess this coup and there will  be numerous arrests 

Sounds to me more like a purge of non-Islamic fanatic generals and a spit in the face of US for US now officially supporting Kurds in north Iraq

Yes but this only  will be a temporary cessation of the airstrikes, Turkey needs time to assess this coup and there will  be numerous arrests 

Sounds to me more like a purge of non-Islamic fanatic generals and a spit in the face of US for US now officially supporting Kurds in north Iraq

Yes there is some truth in this concern, Erdogan has said he can now purge Turkey of ...people who oppose him?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/07/turkey-government-launches-purge-attempted-coup-160716162415421.html

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela