Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Weird, Random, and Interesting things that Fit Nowhere Else Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
680 replies to this topic

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Progress in creating the world's first sex robot. https://www.theguard...first-sex-robot

Someday these things will be commonplace. And occasionally they will go rogue and need to be hunted down. My dream job is closer to being a reality!

• Azdeus likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7608 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Progress in creating the world's first sex robot. https://www.theguard...first-sex-robot

Someday these things will be commonplace. And occasionally they will go rogue and need to be hunted down. My dream job is closer to being a reality!

for years Gromnir has been accused o' being a sex-bot.

HA! Good Fun!

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I always need my dose of scary stuff:

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8946 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thought this was an interesting TED talk on the Westboro Church. Actually it is more about the way we communicate with each other. I think the "Don't assume bad intent" is pretty dang important. I try to do that here, although it can be difficult. Backing away and thinking about things, and asking questions instead of sniping and accusing can lead to much better discourse. 

Edited by Hurlshot, 29 April 2017 - 09:17 PM.

• Guard Dog and redneckdevil like this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 583 posts

If this doesn't convince you the government is getting out of control I don't know what will: http://reason.com/bl...ht-cameras-oreg

The quote function does not appear to be working right. So in short a man in Oregon is cited by a red light camera. So he began doing some research on his own into how red light cameras work and found some serious flaws. He asked to present these findings to the State Board and rather than hear him he was fined an additional $500 for basically doing math without the permission of the state. 

• Azdeus likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5772 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

The last time I received a red light camera ticket they sent me a link, that when clicked upon, took me to a video of me straight up rolling thru a turn right on red. :lol: I was like, "yep Im guilty".

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8946 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In California there has been a bunch of controversy over the cameras. If I remember correctly, unlike traditional tickets, in some counties you can just ignore the notice. I could be wrong though.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5772 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There's been some issues with IL cameras too. Something like; they are suppose to give you .5 seconds before firing but were only giving .3 seconds...something like that. They threw a bunch of tickets out over it. In my case it was actual video of me casually rolling up, mostly but not completely stopping, then turning right (you can legally turn right on a lot of red lights here but you have to stop first). Costs an even hundo per camera ticket around these parts.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If this doesn't convince you the government is getting out of control I don't know what will: http://reason.com/bl...ht-cameras-oreg

The quote function does not appear to be working right. So in short a man in Oregon is cited by a red light camera. So he began doing some research on his own into how red light cameras work and found some serious flaws. He asked to present these findings to the State Board and rather than hear him he was fined an additional $500 for basically doing math without the permission of the state. 

Seems to me reading the article that the $500 dollar fine has less to do with "doing math without permission of the state" and more to do with the fact that the state has determined - through their license board - that the only people who can call themselves engineers are those who are officially dues paying engineer license holders in the state.

Someone could do all the math they want, they just couldn't represent themselves as an 'engineer' in doing so unless they were an engineering license holder.  This may also be an issue, but its a different kind of issue, I think.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5129 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Raw documentary stock footage from ~1977 on comic books in the US:

• ManifestedISO likes this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7524 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

• ShadySands likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3297 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

How to do karate in a Victorian dress

• Amentep and Azdeus like this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

This calmed me down, great stuff:

• Azdeus likes this

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

:wub:

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

Seems to me reading the article that the $500 dollar fine has less to do with "doing math without permission of the state" and more to do with the fact that the state has determined - through their license board - that the only people who can call themselves engineers are those who are officially dues paying engineer license holders in the state.

Someone could do all the math they want, they just couldn't represent themselves as an 'engineer' in doing so unless they were an engineering license holder.  This may also be an issue, but its a different kind of issue, I think.

If the article is correct, he's fined for this: "practicing engineering without being registered." It's true some states (like Texas) have laws that you can't call yourself an engineer without being registered (a professional engineer), but I've never heard about "practicing engineering". All Oregon tech firms would have to shut down if they start enforcing this, as very few engineers are registered as it requires a very tough exam which is completely useless for most engineering positions.

A woman is murdered over an insult parrot: http://www.foxnews.c...insult-him.html

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4963 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"The Apprehension Engine"

Our office needs one of these...

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3297 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Guy builds Giants from wood, and hides them in the wilderness

1-523.jpg

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3297 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

• Hurlshot and ShadySands like this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8946 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So apparently the FTC has sent warning letters to a bunch of celebrities about promoting brands without disclosing the relationship. This sounds insane to me. I think it is dumb that people buy stuff because celebrities are into it, but I think it is even dumber that the government feels the need to get involved in it.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17031 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The FTC is one of the most evil, corrupt, nazi, villainous pseudo gov't agencies in the world.  ewveryone should tell them  STFU with their nazism.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users