The Simpsons is built on satire and parody.  Using it as an example as an embellished character is completely missing the point.   :blink:

Guys yes I admit I dont get the cartoon being posted in the same context as the Tracer picture....so whats is the point he is making?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

PWcZGDR.jpg

Did I tell you guys I collect Conan comics and the Conan older Savage Sword....this was my favorite comic 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If one doesn't like the butt, just don't play that toon or don't play that game all together.

Getting upset about it is a symptom of insanity, nothing else.

Nah......its easier just to make a cosmetic change that the art department were considering anyway 

John Milton 

WL92ItE.png

Stupidingly sexy

Guys this is exactly the honesty I was hoping for  ...well done as I know talking about about sexual orientation isn't always easy

But if you find Ned Flanders ass sexually  inordinate I will support you, SJ goes both way  ..and you right, mens assets can be objectified too 

Now you're just stupid.

Okay I'm  confused?

I thought the whole point of the Flanders cartoon is to demonstrate other  examples outside of women in games where characters features are embellished....what is the point then of the Flanders cartoon?

Are you at all familiar with the phenomon called "pop-culture"-references?

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

WL92ItE.png

Stupidingly sexy

Guys this is exactly the honesty I was hoping for  ...well done as I know talking about about sexual orientation isn't always easy

But if you find Ned Flanders ass sexually  inordinate I will support you, SJ goes both way  ..and you right, mens assets can be objectified too 

Now you're just stupid.

Okay I'm  confused?

I thought the whole point of the Flanders cartoon is to demonstrate other  examples outside of women in games where characters features are embellished....what is the point then of the Flanders cartoon?

Okay but what is the point you making? Is this linked to the tracer incident ..I assumed it was?

John Milton 

WL92ItE.png

Stupidingly sexy

Now you're just stupid.

Okay I'm  confused?

Okay but what is the point you making? Is this linked to the tracer incident ..I assumed it was?

Sweet Jesus, lord have mercy.

"Stupid Sexy Flanders" in Simpons --> same Ned Flanders in Overwatch --> Stupidingly sexy --> reference, emphasis on words. We laugh. Haha. 

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

WL92ItE.png

Stupidingly sexy

Now you're just stupid.

Okay I'm  confused?

Sweet Jesus, lord have mercy.

"Stupid Sexy Flanders" in Simpons --> same Ned Flanders in Overwatch --> Stupidingly sexy --> reference, emphasis on words. We laugh. Haha. 

Oh....okay

I dont find it funny at all but I see now what you were alluding to 

John Milton 

bad thing about ignore function on this forum is that you still see their comment when someone else quote it

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Relevant. Though hardly that interesting I suppose.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Relevant. Though hardly that interesting I suppose.

Oh my.....you know thats the first video of hers I have ever seen

Whats that phrase  she uses " man gaze "  ....you guys who use to support GG and disliked her why did you ever use to follow her videos? They designed to cause consternation, she makes a few relevant points but I dont buy most of what she says 

John Milton 

bad thing about ignore function on this forum is that you still see their comment when someone else quote it

Use the greasemonkey script that nukes any quoted post of those on your ignore list. You need never see another Bruce post again.

• Like 1

Use the greasemonkey script that nukes any quoted post of those on your ignore list. You need never see another Bruce post again.

How do you know he is referring to me...maybe its Meshugger, I doubt its me?

Why would he deny the value of my erudite views?

:aiee:

John Milton 

Whats that phrase  she uses " man gaze "  ....you guys who use to support GG and disliked her why did you ever use to follow her videos? They designed to cause consternation, she makes a few relevant points but I dont buy most of what she says 

There, you finally have your explanation. That is, for all intents and purposes, trolling.

Although, interestingly enough, that's the least infurating video of hers that I have seen so far, although of course it still contains her usual favorites - showing scenes out of context (the footage Mass Effect footage of Miranda, for instance) to reinforce her point and claiming that doing the exact same thing to men doesn't reinforce stereotypes and is therefor not to be considered a proper balancing of the issue.

She also leaves out the fact that the male gaze trope in itself is also enforcing a harmful stereotype against "straight white male" gamers. Poor sods have to look at pixel boobs and butts because they can't get any in real life, being nerdy and living in mom's basement. Right? :biggrin:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

There, you finally have your explanation. That is, for all intents and purposes, trolling.

Although, interestingly enough, that's the least infurating video of hers that I have seen so far, although of course it still contains her usual favorites - showing scenes out of context (the footage Mass Effect footage of Miranda, for instance) to reinforce her point and claiming that doing the exact same thing to men doesn't reinforce stereotypes and is therefor not to be considered a proper balancing of the issue.

She also leaves out the fact that the male gaze trope in itself is also enforcing a harmful stereotype against "straight white male" gamers. Poor sods have to look at pixel boobs and butts because they can't get any in real life, being nerdy and living in mom's basement. Right? :biggrin:

I must be honest, I get  "insulted "  fairly regularly on these forums .....very few things annoy me

But when people call me a troll it often annoys me ...not you because we havent had this debate

But please explain to me why what I said is trolling? What is trolling about that?

John Milton 

Bruce, really, I meant that Anita is trolling. She has been doing nothing but trolling with these Tropes vs. Women in Video Games ever since she launched the first one after her Kickstarter campaign. If there's anything amusing here it is that even you the resident SuperSJW find her videos to be intentionally inflammatory. :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Bruce, really, I meant that Anita is trolling. She has been doing nothing but trolling with these Tropes vs. Women in Video Games ever since she launched the first one after her Kickstarter campaign. If there's anything amusing here it is that even you the resident SuperSJW find her videos to be intentionally inflammatory. :)

I'll be honest, I automatically supported rise of anti-GG in the beginning because I assumed both Anita and Alexander were raising real issues. I support RL SJ so I assumed this was the same ...and the whole Zoe Quinn incident is real

However as time went on, say a few months of this pointless and interminable arguing in the GG thread, I realized I was wrong....in fact I and many other people who believe in SJ were part of campaign of manipulation that Anita and Alexander were largely responsible for 

I felt angry and embarrassed that I had been fooled ....and you know what I had been mistaken about ? Any meaningful SJ  campaign cannot be about the marginalization of another group, this is irrefutable

And at its core the whole Anita\Alexander objective is about an attack on white, males..and to make things worse its a demographic of white males who are  not necessarily going to address the criticism in the best way which was what they were counting on   

Now because of Apartheid I couldn't conceive of white males being targeted...but they were and its wrong  

:)

John Milton 

She argues that stereotype/trope where male characters are constantly sexualized and made to look sexually pleasant, don't exist in our culture which is why portraying men similarly sexualized as women don't enforce (fe)male gaze trope for men as there is not trope to enforce in first place.

It is like gender swapping trope all abusers are men, you don't create trope where all abusers are women but instead it usually just works as comedy aspect that enforces existing stereotype where all abusers are men.

She argues that stereotype/trope where male characters are constantly sexualized and made to look sexually pleasant, don't exist in our culture which is why portraying men similarly sexualized as women don't enforce (fe)male gaze trope for men as there is not trope to enforce in first place.

It is like gender swapping trope all abusers are men, you don't create trope where all abusers are women but instead it usually just works as comedy aspect that enforces existing stereotype where all abusers are men.

But Elerond why did Anita upset so many gamers?....Why didnt people just ignore what she said ....but many of you guys seemed to actually read her videos and get upset?

John Milton 

But Elerond why did Anita upset so many gamers?....Why didnt people just ignore what she said ....but many of you guys seemed to actually read her videos and get upset?

That is the question. 

EDIT: Although Cunningham's Law states "the best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer." And in cultural and social issues it is easy to give answers that are wrong for at least some people.

Comic example of situation

http://xkcd.com/386/

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

That is the question. 

Probably because many journalists and the media at large use, or used to, take her her seriously. Like she was the most important person to go to in gaming, compared to real heavy weights like Carmack. 

It was like Jerry Falwell would've been the go-to when it came to what music or movies should be made. 

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

That is the question. 

Probably because many journalists and the media at large use, or used to, take her her seriously. Like she was the most important person to go to in gaming, compared to real heavy weights like Carmack. 

It was like Jerry Falwell would've been the go-to when it came to what music or movies should be made. 

Yes, she also had a level of support from certain websites who also thought they were doing the right thing by promoting her views

I can understand that as SJ and things like gender equality generally people want to support as its a positive thing ...but once again there is something corrupted and unnatural about a gaming website that forgets its actual duty is to review games...its not there as some sort of equality barometer in a game like Witcher 3 

John Milton 

That is the question. 

But journalist started to take her seriously only after she got lots of criticism from people and some harassed her. She become known because of her speeches about that harassment and then later on when she started to release those tropes vs. women in video games, media outlets started to write articles about her and then she got more criticism and harassment that eventually lead that main stream media started to write articles about her and then she become one quite know person speaking about video games in world.

But if people had ignored her KS campaign instead she would had barely got money to make one video, instead of couple hundred thousand dollars. So her fame is mostly product of internet trolls. Although you need to credit that she was quite skillful to use that attention that trolls gave her to her benefit