HBO Game of Thrones Season 6!

ktchong

This episode was better than the last few, but I could've done without Varys using Littlefinger's teleporter at the end. One minute he is in Dorne setting up a southern alliance with the Martell's and the Tyrell's, and the next he is heading back to Westeros on Dany's ship. They must be BFFs with Scotty.

I agree. The whole high speed transit between Westeros & Essos is a bit much for me to swallow. Although oddly dragons are not, go figure. This is supposed to be a "medieval fantasy". It takes time to move around by foot or horseback. Unless of course a lot of time is passing between scenes. But that is not the impression.

I usually don't complain if it happens from one episode to another. Timelines are wonky, even in the books. However, they couldn't have the Queen of Thorns upset at the death of everyone in her house prior to Cercei's coup. They didn't have to have that comment. She already had motivation to ally with someone else, and the Dornish were one of two parts of the Kingdom (along with the Vale) that didn't fight in the war of the 5 kings. So, historical enemies or not, they share a common foe. She didn't need that extra plot motivation. That alliance could have occurred last episode, and I wouldn't have commented. Or, and maybe better yet, Varys could have told Tyrion it would be wise to land in Dorne since they hate the Lannister's. Then he could have stayed in Westeros to wait for Dany's arrival.

I called it, though. Manderly and Frey pies were kind of weak by comparison to the books. Too late for Manderly to be satisfying (definitely the weaker of the two), and Frey Pie came out of no where.

This episode was better than the last few, but I could've done without Varys using Littlefinger's teleporter at the end. One minute he is in Dorne setting up a southern alliance with the Martell's and the Tyrell's, and the next he is heading back to Westeros on Dany's ship. They must be BFFs with Scotty.

I agree. The whole high speed transit between Westeros & Essos is a bit much for me to swallow. Although oddly dragons are not, go figure. This is supposed to be a "medieval fantasy". It takes time to move around by foot or horseback. Unless of course a lot of time is passing between scenes. But that is not the impression.

There were Martell and Tyrell ships in Dany's navy in that last scene, so lot of time has to have passed with alliances sealed and invasion plans laid out apparently.

Also, that Citadel receptionist has to be the most unexpected cameo ever. For helvede Frank!

Edited by Thingolfin

Just some sleuthing I did to help answer some of the oddities of the episode last night that I thought I'd share:

Why was Pycelle stabbed to death? He would've died in the explosion all the same, so why expend the effort?

Turns out that scene was a sort of reference to the book. Something similar happens to Kevan Lannister in the books, and for whatever reason they wanted to mimic that. Still weird, still wonky, but at least we know the method to the madness.

Why is Magaery's death so abnormal? She didn't screw up at all, and yet she's dead.

Turns out Natalie Dormer requested it lololololol. Check this:

Entertainment Weekly: When did you get the phone call that Margaery wasn’t making it through to next season?
Natalie Dormer: I preempted the phone call because in true Natalie Dormer-style I tried to fit a million projects into a single year. I requested [while making season 5 that showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss] release me from working on the show earlier than usual so I could do another project, and they ended up phoning me — and that was The Call. But I got it six months ahead of normal. They were like, “We weren’t going to tell you this for a few more months, but we’re not going to release you now, so you can’t do that job you really want to do and we’re really sorry about that. But on the bright side, we are going to release you proper in the not-so-distant future.” It was good news, bad news — no you can’t do this, but don’t worry, you’re going to have lots more opportunities very soon.

So yeah, that's why. Kinda lame, but again at least now we know why the show said "SCREW IT kill her anyways."

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Also, Frank Hvam. WTF :D ???

Haha yeah - He had a surprisingly good dialect .. (edit: so it turns out that was dubbed)

For those who don't know, the librarian that Sam met was a Danish comedian - it was a little.. strange.. to see him in a serious role.

Especially when this is how you "normally" see him

hqdefault.jpg

vs 

13820374-frankhvamgameofthrones.jpg

Apperantly the writers of the show were fans of Hvam's comedy show "Clown"..

Fortune favors the bald.

You know, I can't decide between the crowning of Jon as King of the North or the guy acting as the Citadel's receptionist as best scene. That Citadel guy was just golden.

I'm never going to understand why people worship unnecessarily rude people. :p

Cersei and House Lannister are  screwed. Daenerys, King of the North, House Tyrell (Queen of Thorns) and Dorne will gang up on Cersei.  Cersei has too many enemies and no allies.

And then the Others arrive.

I guess enough people have commented on the high speed rail system: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/game-thrones-writer-explains-why-221200600.html

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That was always obvious I thought, the only time it really annoyed me was with Littlefinger, because he clearly travelled way too fast.. Especially with the army of The Vale.

Fortune favors the bald.

i was satisfied with last episode (excluding that fast travel system). Fingers crossed Sansa will not make everything worse

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am now interested if Jamie finally realise his sister is mad b*tch and turn back on her, maybe join Jon

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am now interested if Jamie finally realise his sister is mad b*tch and turn back on her, maybe join Jon

I half expect him to shove a sword into her back to save people from her wrath (like he did with the Mad King). Making him a double "king"slayer, a kinslayer, and bringing closure to that relationship. It would bring him full circle.

• Like 1

I half expect him to shove a sword into her back to save people from her wrath (like he did with the Mad King). Making him a double "king"slayer, a kinslayer, and bringing closure to that relationship. It would bring him full circle.

I dont think he will kill her, it would be too much for him, but maybe he will join night watch or something

She indirectly killed all of their kids - I imagine he's ready to kill her (what with the prophecy that's she'll die by the hand of her younger brother). As it stands the Lannisters and the Starks are the only major houses still standing. It seems George and the series writers wanted a 'clean slate' for Dany's arrival.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

I think if she goes too far that he may just snap.

However, he is now out of the King's Guard, and as such is the heir to Casterly Rock. So, he could make that claim, and go home and leave her to her mess.

I had an interesting thought that hasn't been discussed here. Westerosi rule of succession goes: male children oldest to youngest, then brothers, then daughters, then bastards (males then females). Correct me if I am wrong. Technically, if I am not mistaken... Gendry has the rightful claim. Cercei might have another storm on her hands if the right people get their hands on Gendry and know who he is.

She indirectly killed all of their kids - I imagine he's ready to kill her (what with the prophecy that's she'll die by the hand of her younger brother). As it stands the Lannisters and the Starks are the only major houses still standing. It seems George and the series writers wanted a 'clean slate' for Dany's arrival.

Technically, the Vale is still standing even if being manipulated by Littlefinger. Otherwise I agree. I wonder if Dany will start in the south and move north meet a northern army at the neck, and they kneel. Similar to Aegon the Conqueror.

Also, the marriage conversation between Dany and Tyrion has to be some foreshadowing. The Kingdom isn't ripe for young males of noble birth to wed a Queen. Theon's out, Euron would go against the deal made with Theon and Yara, given Gendry's status as I posted about means he is an unlikely possibility, and that's about it. Dorne has no sons, Tyrell's are all gone, Jaime isn't likely, sweet Robin LOL, and we are about dry.

That leaves Jon Snow. Targ's sibling marriages are mentioned a great deal in the books, and I think a few times on the show... So I can't discount it that "happy ending" fans may get their wish.

I think if she goes too far that he may just snap.

However, he is now out of the King's Guard, and as such is the heir to Casterly Rock. So, he could make that claim, and go home and leave her to her mess.

I had an interesting thought that hasn't been discussed here. Westerosi rule of succession goes: male children oldest to youngest, then brothers, then daughters, then bastards (males then females). Correct me if I am wrong. Technically, if I am not mistaken... Gendry has the rightful claim. Cercei might have another storm on her hands if the right people get their hands on Gendry and know who he is.

Can't Tyrion kill her?

Technically, the Vale is still standing even if being manipulated by Littlefinger. Otherwise I agree. I wonder if Dany will start in the south and move north meet a northern army at the neck, and they kneel. Similar to Aegon the Conqueror.

Also, the marriage conversation between Dany and Tyrion has to be some foreshadowing. The Kingdom isn't ripe for young males of noble birth to wed a Queen. Theon's out, Euron would go against the deal made with Theon and Yara, given Gendry's status as I posted about means he is an unlikely possibility, and that's about it. Dorne has no sons, Tyrell's are all gone, Jaime isn't likely, sweet Robin LOL, and we are about dry.

That leaves Jon Snow. Targ's sibling marriages are mentioned a great deal in the books, and I think a few times on the show... So I can't discount it that "happy ending" fans may get their wish.

Gendry have same status as Jon now soo.. he is still posibility

I always thought from the way that the books were handling the character that Cersei would live a long life, broken, miserable, probably mad and a pariah to every individual in Westeros. I may be mistaken however.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Gendry have same status as Jon now soo.. he is still posibility

All who would confirm are dead though, those who can and are alive won't.

He doesnt have to be confirmed as King on Iron Throne, but he still is last Baratheon, so he can be used as ally

@Chilloutman - Yes, it could be Tyrion, but that is what she expects which is why I don't think it's him. Tyrion actually does the least to harm his family of all the major Lannisters save maybe Jaime (excluding Kevan, Lancel, Mercella, and Tommen). He says multiple times that he loves his family. He obviously didn't care for Joff, but he would discipline him because no one else would. He now loaths Cercei, but I don't think he would kill her. The prophecy said Volanqar (sp?) which is Valarian for "little brother/monster" IIRC. Which is why she assumes it is Tyrion that will do the deed. However, the books (and I believe the show as well) have pointed out that Jaime came right after her clutching her heel during their birth. So, he is very possible as well.

An interesting point on the "Prince that was promised" prophecy... In the books, Maester Aemon tells Sam they were blind to the prophecy by assuming it was a boy, but the word for "prince" in Valarian doesn't denote gender, and it could be the Princess that was promised. If this same genderless language applied to the Volanqar then it could be Cercei's potential killer is female, and Arya Stark has Cercei's name on a certain list. One name she just scratched out in this finale. Is Cercei next? Arya is definitely a tomboy, and a bit monsterous.

Targ's were also known to be polygamous in the past, and had multiple wives. It could be that Jon is a child of Raegar's second wife (Lyanna) which would put him ahead of Dany for rule of succession. It makes no matter Robert's victory changed the dynasty of the Iron Throne from Targ to Baratheon. Targ heirs can only claim via conquest. However, given the current climate... I doubt Gendry would be able to claim without some conquest either.

@Nonek - Entirely possible, but she has that prophecy about her death. She also isn't smart enough to stay alive like Varys, Littlefinger, Tyrion, and a few others. She also doesn't have a power base of loyal Lords behind her like Jon. She is up the creek without a paddle and she is too stupid to see the forest for the trees.

@Rosbjerg - technically Tobbo Mott (The blacksmith that Gendry was apprenticing under) and Varys both know, and are still alive I do believe. However, I don't think they have enough pull in this society, or friends with that kind of pull, to matter. It's possible a few Gold Cloaks that failed killing him would be in the know, but they are less relevant. I'm sure Littlefinger is aware as well.

Edited by Ganrich
  • Like 1