RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

I need something with trains in it. :p

Sheldon, is that you? :-O

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I liked the concept of it, but I had to turn it off after a couple of games because of the STI epidemic and and random barons imprisoning emperors for absolutely no reason. Typical Paradox really, sounds like someone came up with a neat concept ....then they gave the intern one day to implement it. I say this because those mechanics have no interaction whatsoever with the established systems the game has, they are for all intents and purposes standalone.

I haven't really run into any issues but I dunno if it's just luck, patches, mods or the right combo of all three

Don't know if anything's changed since I played, but it worked like this (and I played quite a few months after the release, so it's not like it was an early launch problem that was quickly fixed):

Seduction attempts had no consequences for failure, and no cooldown on repeat attempts. The seducer, if rejected, would simply try again. Acceptance or rejection is completely random, I think it might even be a simple coin toss. Consequentially, all seducers would eventually succeed through sheer persistence, and that "eventually" wasn't a very long time at all due to nothing preventing them making an immediate repeat attempt.

Spying on a target randomly grants an event offering the chance to kidnap or assassinate the target. The chances of success for each event are flat and not affected by any attributes. Whether the AI chooses to attempt the kidnap/murder or to refuse the event in the first place is random, doesn't matter if their opinion of the target is -100 or 100, it has no weight in deciding whether to do it. Failure has no consequence other than the token amount of gold charged for it. Successful no consequence either except for the free ransom money. After being ransomed out, the target has no memory of their kidnapper and can do nothing about it - apparently it's not treason to randomly kidnap and imprison your king.

Point is, both Seduction and Espionage are reasonable additions to the game in concept. Their execution is absolutely idiotic. And for the most part, I think that trend extends to Paradox as a company as a whole.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The Way of Life dlc was such a cluster**** when you actually paid attention to what happened in the logs and made Ironman mode and multiplayer almost unplayable - partly because crafty players could essentially screw you over with game mechanics that there was no defense against. Losing a 10 hour game because of a coin toss you have no influence over, is not that fun.

The addition of coalitions also made the game extremely unbalanced for the player - in one instance in a game I played, the pope united with the Abbassid (whom they had just holy warred eariler) against a single Italian county ruler that conquered a neighbor... Then a 60K+ deathstack mauled that little count, because the mechanics decided he was such a threat that Christanity and Islam had to unite to destroy him.

This happened all over, with mortal enemies coming together because single counts doubled their realm size (something the mechanics decided was a huge deal). It's been dialed back ,but it's still moronic.

It's a design policy that plagues many new Paradox titles, where they throw in mechanics haphazardly and without much fore- or afterthought. 

I hope they're gonna be smarter about it with Stellaris.

Fortune favors the bald.

Given that they still won't fix the vast number of issues in EU4 and CK2 that are a direct result of their meddling and not having any foresight (or seemingly doing any playtesting at all), I don't have high hopes.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Lexx, are you craving transport-tycoon like experience or generally a cool management sim? Because... You know, Parkitect will get released in EA soon enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tppTzfBXfU

Just watched the trailer. Actually doesn't look that bad. Never played the old Rollercoaster Tycoon games, etc. though, so I dunno about it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Need a good mafia sim as well

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just watched the trailer. Actually doesn't look that bad. Never played the old Rollercoaster Tycoon games, etc. though, so I dunno about it.

The idea of building a theme park seemed incredibly unappealing to me after playing TTDX for easily hundreds of hours and constructing complex railway networks. I was so very wrong.

Well there's Omerta which is *cough* really really good *cough* Edited by Fenixp

If it will be anything like other Paradox grand strategies it will have a broken or non-existent or woefully inadequate tutorial, have a brutal learning curve, and be totally worth it if you can get past said learning curve.
The Blorg playthrough they have been streaming has made it look like one of their easiest to get into. Like a mix of EU and Master of Orion, with a spattering of Hearts of Iron 4.(which from World War Wednesdays looks a lot easier to get into than HOI3)

Just announced they are releasing in house mod tool for HOI4, making a lot of the tedious province/state editing quicker and easier,while it still saves everything in a text editable format for finer tweaks.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

GameFront's servers shutting down on 30th April.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/04/help-save-17-years-of-pc-game-modding-history/

If you have some mods there, you should redownload them before the end of month...

Looks like they're getting close to the 1.0 release.  I still have my Morrowind discs from when I bought the game over a decade ago.  I might give it another play again once this project reaches 1.0

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

https://www.gog.com/game/gangsters_organized_crime

Yep, have that already. Reinstalling it now, funnily :p but a modern one might be fun

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Looks like it might not be crap

• Like 3

That looks amazing, first day purchase for sure  :yes:

I enjoyed Mafia 2 but the city felt a little empty at times and lacked enough good side quests 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

not looking much forward to Mafia 3, original script was amended too much :/

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Dark Souls board game funded after 3 minutes on Kickstarter. Now at more than 1000% of the initial funding goal.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/20/dark-souls-board-game-kickstarter-begun-already-fully-funded/

Looks like Spike Chunsoft may make another Fire Pro Wrestling game if they get enough chatter from fans.

Likely a publicity stunt for a game they were going to release one way or another, but I'm down for Fire Pro regardless.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

They're not the best, but I'll take one word titles over the tired <something> of <something> naming scheme.  The Ruiner website is awesome, by the way, but it's super media heavy, so don't go there if you're on a netbook or something because it will murder your browser.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸