It is difficult to detect sarcasm in text, but I was pointing and laughing at those that develop a quivering lip over the plight of the criminals.

Then I guess you are pointing and laughing at the victim, too:

But Miss Mezher, a psychology graduate from the Blekinge Institute of Technology in Karlskrona, was driven by a strong desire to do good, and was fascinated by theories examining why some people commit crime.

She had completed a three-year course in social science for communication and learning and called her dissertation, 'The road to non criminal - a lifestyle change'.

Written with another student, she researched the factors which help offenders break from a life of crime.

It concludes that to make a lifestyle change and be able to break a delinquent behaviour, 'social workers need to build trust in relationships'.

Good thing you're not a criminal and will never be, right?

Well, she might make a small contribution to her field as a case study. One bright point,I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I dunno, maybe? I couldn't honestly say NEVER. Perhaps in some future, circumstances would "force" me to commit robberies to feed/support me and mine? :shrugz: I can only hope that if that day ever comes that there are people that pat me on the back and tell me its not my fault. I'm a victim of circumstance and am not accountable. :yes:

Again, accountability is not the opposite of sympathy.  People can be held accountable while still acknowledging the circumstances that put them in that position.  Do you want a police force that simply arrests the bad guys, or do you want a police force that works in the community to break the cycle of criminal activity?

• Like 2

Again, accountability is not the opposite of sympathy.  People can be held accountable while still acknowledging the circumstances that put them in that position.  Do you want a police force that simply arrests the bad guys, or do you want a police force that works in the community to break the cycle of criminal activity?

That's two completely different animals. One occurs BEFORE crimes are committed, and in the case of the Swedish head of police, one occurred AFTER the crime was committed.

Again, accountability is not the opposite of sympathy. People can be held accountable while still acknowledging the circumstances that put them in that position. Do you want a police force that simply arrests the bad guys, or do you want a police force that works in the community to break the cycle of criminal activity?

Kind of pointless then. Is Sweden going to help clean up Somalia? Shame he didn't go on at length at why he feels for the murderer.

But doesn't matter really. Cop put foot in mouth. Poor girl got stabbed and some scumbag will hopefully end up in Mogadishu.

And for something funny

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/12127980/Volunteer-at-Berlin-refugee-office-admits-he-made-up-story-of-migrant-freezing-to-death.html

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I dunno, maybe? I couldn't honestly say NEVER. Perhaps in some future, circumstances would "force" me to commit robberies to feed/support me and mine? :shrugz: I can only hope that if that day ever comes that there are people that pat me on the back and tell me its not my fault. I'm a victim of circumstance and am not accountable. :yes:

If that's your thing. I'd rather have someone like the victim try to understand and perhaps help me out of a criminal lifestyle, preferably without any falsely ingratiating back-patting. Accountability has nothing to do with it, and unlike physical goods, empathy isn't in limited supply. Yes, technically it may be possible to turn your life around without anyone's help. It's also technically possible to deadlift 1000 lbs - doesn't mean it's easy. If only because it's cheaper in the long run to have a criminal rehabilitated into a well-adjusted member of society than indefinitely imprisoned and/or bouncing around the judicial system, everyone who pays taxes should be for this stuff in principle.

Again, it's one of those ridiculous strawmen in the shape of "but the left would have you think that..." without actually anyone on "the left" seriously suggesting that accountability doesn't exist, that the perpetrators are in fact the victims, and any number of other absurd, misattributed exaggerations.

Is it right? Is it even possible? That's a much more interesting and, *GASP!* constructive discussion than yet another rehash of the same worn-out clichés.

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

No, why would I? Unless a war would break out, or someone i care about would be in a mortal danger and I would have means to eliminate that danger.

Uh-huh. I hope you don't use that magic 8-ball to help you guide your financial decisions. If only because you are probably playing with someone else's money.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If that's your thing. Unless performed in self defense, murderers get no sympathy or understanding from me. I don't care if momma didnt love enough or pappy spanked their bottom. Tough, I know, but some crimes are unforgivable to me. You, like the Swedish top cop, may stare into your navel as long as you like, pontificating "if only life was fair", but I don't have the energy.

If that's your thing. Unless performed in self defense, murderers get no sympathy or understanding from me. I don't care if momma didnt love enough or pappy spanked their bottom. Tough, I know, but some crimes are unforgivable to me.

The concept of unforgivable crimes sounds terribly wasteful and not at all practical to me, from a societal viewpoint.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

So no life in prison then?

If that's your thing. Unless performed in self defense, murderers get no sympathy or understanding from me. I don't care if momma didnt love enough or pappy spanked their bottom. Tough, I know, but some crimes are unforgivable to me. You, like the Swedish top cop, may stare into your navel as long as you like, pontificating "if only life was fair", but I don't have the energy.

The only one pontificating here is you, "unforgivable" is an absolute term. I'm looking at the issue from an utilitarian pov. Fairness is irrelevant, but I get the feeling you haven't experienced exactly how unfair life can be, despite happily pontificating about how immutable this sad fact is. You're proud in your selfishness, we get it, idgaf personally. At least be consistent in your selfishness and admit that confining people and throwing away the key is wasteful of your precious tax dollars.

• Like 1

Or he has just experienced a higher or more violent level of crime. Eventually you start to just see killers and rapists as worthless things.

But you can get both worlds. Screw the killers to the wall with no mercy but look at fixing things that tend to make them prosper.

Ive been very fortunate to not have experienced violent crime against me (knock on wood), and my life has been no cakewalk, but thats immaterial. Murder, imo, is the one crime the victim cant come back from. Many other crimes are super terrible too, but death is absolute. When one murders another (different from accidental), then I dont think the offender should be afforded opportunities that the victim will never get. So sayeth me. :shrugz: 

Murder, imo, is the one crime the victim cant come back from. Many other crimes are super terrible too, but death is absolute. When one murders another (different from accidental), then I dont think the offender should be afforded opportunities that the victim will never get.

I can imagine many, many situations where murder seems like a downright rational reaction, to be honest.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Well, it's a blog. Is it unreadable because it disagrees with everything you believe?

Here is my view on this education of Western moral values to the refugees

Firstly I agree with the article that the refugees are not all stupid or ignorant and  this education is not  necessary to explain  " rape is wrong"

As I mentioned numerous times if you travel to the ME crimes like rape and murder are not common. So of course the refugees coming to Europe know this

So we are dealing with a small percentage of the refugees who are knowingly committing criminal acts for a number of reasons, we must charge them and we mustn't defend them. But they represent a small percentage of the overall refugees, 5-8 % ?

So its also unfair to think " these criminal acts represent the overall views and actions of all the refugees " 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, it's a blog. Is it unreadable because it disagrees with everything you believe?

It's unreadable because it is horribly formatted.  Ads on 3 sides, a kaleidoscope of text colors, and really just a mess of columns.  I mean I am sure the content is just sensationalist garbage, but it's hard to even tell without getting a headache.    

@BruceVC

To put your own figures in perspective, that percentage would mean that any primary school sized group of immigrants would have 1 to 2 rapists amidst them. Does that seem like a small percentage to you?

So lets look at the Cologne incident over NY, there were about 1000 refugees who gathered at the train station and then subsequently harassed women and committed various sexual acts

But there are about 1 million refugees in Germany so we are talking about 0.1 % of people who were involved in crimes, so I would realistically drop my initial number of 5-8 % and say 1-2 % of refugees will commit some sort of crime

For me this is not a big number at all and shouldn't be reflective of the overall refugees. Now that doesn't mean people should just accept it but we need to look at this in perspective ? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Don't worry guys. While you are musing in utalitarian policies, misplaced sympathies and justified murder, the Swedes are adressing the issue as swedish you can: http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/29/daily-mail-articles-blocked-in-sweden-over-migrant-stabbing-court-case/

A source at the newspaper told Breitbart London this evening that the reporting on the article and the website were both fine, but that in Sweden alone the paper has had to take action “to avoid prejudicing” ongoing legal proceedings concerning the alleged murderer.

The source said the Mail Online “have to have a block” on “one article”.

You see, Swedes should not read about speculation that the guy was actually much older than he is. Bad thoughts and all that.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy