Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

The theatrical version of Kingdom of Heaven was really butchered, most of the film only makes sense in the directors cut.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

"TOMORROWLAND (2016): I was worried that the film would be preachy about the bad-old-presentday and was happy it didn't go there.  Its a fun adventure film that manages to be fun most of the time, serious when needed and yet without gratuitous grimness."

This movie was lots of fun and underpapreicated. One of Clooney's best films, imo, largely because it isn't as preachy as his films  (sans Batman 4 lol) are.

Yeah, I admit part of why I didn't see it when it came out was that I was afraid the film was going to be preachy as mentioned. The trailers didn't make it clear that it wasn't, either, and that made me really nervous.

Its not a perfect film - but it is fun and I hope it eventually finds its audience.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The theatrical version of Kingdom of Heaven was really butchered, most of the film only makes sense in the directors cut.

Except for that random scene of Guy banging the maid.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I love how names of Marvel movies have nothing to do with the content. The previous one was Winter Soldier and the "winter soldier" was featured in a total of 15 minutes perhaps.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

It's a clever double-entendre ... Winter Soldier refers to Bucky's assassin persona, but also Cap's strength as a hero who never quits. In the real-life American Revolution, a writer referred to 'summer soldiers' as part-time activists--an attitude that would not win the war for independence.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Why do you hate puppies and freedom, Obsidian. 

whyobswhy_zpsk26j5acq.png

when we saw the trailer, our first thought at the conclusion were that something looked distinctly off with spider-man... kinda like the weird cg fight scenes in the matrix sequels where neo and elrond looked almost cartoony.  spider-man looks weird, which actual takes some effort given that spidey normal is a blue and red gimp suit.  

am gonna admit that we weren't a fan o' the comic civil war.  am thinking that a movie version is actual a positive as much o' the padding and idiocy from the comic book storyline can be excised... or exorcised.  

regardless, we disagree with the assessment that spider-man looks great... unless civil war is actual a who framed roger rabbit sequel.  

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What's off about Spidey, I think, are his eye sockets ... comically [sic] too small for his head.

Yes, re-reading Civil War is a challenge. I maintain the prediction my favorite character will suddenly stand up on-screen during the movie and fully three people across the country will faint. Everyone else will assume it's Gamora.  

civilwarshulkie_zpsohaqscop.png

All Stop. On Screen.

Never read nor know anything of the Civil War storyline.

But I'm pro whatever the side that the Fantastic Four is on. Please, please don't tell me they broke up #ChildhoodMemoriesRuined

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

But I'm pro whatever the side that the Fantastic Four is on. Please, please don't tell me they broke up #ChildhoodMemoriesRuined

recognizing your ff affinity, am gonna recommend that you do not read civil war.  odd handling. one o' the most perplexing civil war moments for Gromnir were ben grimm related.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps is our opinion that every comic title that runs long enough is gonna provide multiple instances o' childhood memory ruination. no biggie. just roll with it.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sue was on Cap's side, Reed was on Tony's, Johnny was on Cap's after he woke from his coma, and Thing was reluctantly part of Tony's, but buggered off to France after he decided both sides were stupid for fighting and putting civilians in harms way.

All are owned by Fox right now so won't be part of the movies. I hope Fox lets go of those rights soon though. Marvel is going to need some of the villains bundled into those rights to keep their movies going. Fox owns the Skrulls, Galactus, Kang, Doom, etc.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Sue was on Cap's side, Reed was on Tony's, Johnny was on Cap's after he woke from his coma, and Thing was reluctantly part of Tony's, but buggered off to France after he decided both sides were stupid for fighting and putting civilians in harms way.

All are owned by Fox right now so won't be part of the movies. I hope Fox lets go of those rights soon though. Marvel is going to need some of the villains bundled into those rights to keep their movies going. Fox owns the Skrulls, Galactus, Kang, Doom, etc.

he did ask you Not to tell him.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I don't feel motivated for any of these new super heroe flicks, so... anyone feels motivated to spoil me this civil war stuff? Why did it happen, what was the outcome?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I don't feel motivated for any of these new super heroe flicks, so... anyone feels motivated to spoil me this civil war stuff? Why did it happen, what was the outcome?

Several things occurred in the Marvel Universe, a couple of accidents during Hero/Villain fights. Then an amateur hero team (who were also the stars of a reality tv show) went into a school to smackdown some villain, it all went wrong and the school basically blew up with a large area around it. 600 people or so dead due to it. Blame fell on the heroes for various reasons.

At the same time, Tony Stark was having a crisis of conscience over various things, and started taking the stance that the hero community needed more regulation to prevent that sort of tragedy.  Over time it got a little wrapped up in post 9/11 style surveillance/big brother-ish attitude.  But Stark was big on having the super-powered community taking responsibility for itself and getting some form of regulation and oversight with the Government.  Which led to a "register who you really are, the nature of your powers, and what sort of training you have" before being allowed to go use said powers in public to prevent crime and disaster.

Captain America rallied against this as an invasion of privacy and not giving the land of the free it's due. The hero community pretty much split evenly. 

However, the government did pass it as a law, and anyone who chose not to register would then automatically be classed as a villain and prosecuted if they attempted vigilante heroism. The heroes that side with Stark on this started to help enforce it and become generally more authoritarian over time.

Spiderman got caught in the works, and allowed Stark to use him as "pro-registration" and become the first hero to publically unmask and register. Shenanigans ensued.

The Pro-Register hero's and Anti-Register basically kept having conflicts while still trying to stop super-villains. The villains enjoyed the mix, but didn't like the government clamp down and increased Anti-superpowers tech. Stark and Reed Richards built a secret prison in the phantom zone in which to stash the various non-registered "criminals" (hero or villain) that were captured. The whole thing escalated, Captain America basically leading an underground resistance movement.

Big battle. Captain America kicks Iron Man's ass, but gets held back by some emergency services, he then looks around at the destruction and surrenders, although still keeping his beliefs. On the way to his historic arraignment/trial, he gets shot and killed on the courtyard steps.

Oh yes, and Norman Osborn ended up in charge of a major government department.

There were a bunch of cross-overs with it, but the main thrust was something like a 7 or 9 episode mini-series.

There's a Civil War II to be running this year as part of the follow-up.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I get the impression the movie will have none of that, it is just Cap sticking up for Bucky.

in this case, less = more.

am genuine concerned that thor: ragnarok is following civil war, 'cause one o' the more ridiculous aspects o' civil war were the cyber-clone of thor: ragnarok.

civil war were such a mess that a massive reduction in the plot lines is likely to help.

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, Civil was was technically 7 or so issues. But was your typical multi-issue crossover thing, so there were about 60 other comics that had storyline parts in them.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I get the impression the movie will have none of that, it is just Cap sticking up for Bucky.

I think Winter Soldier under programming to take out a target with an explosion is going to be the substitution for Nitro vs. The New Warriors (who really weren't an amateur team - only two new members were on the team when Civil War happened from team who'd been in the previous ~100 issues).  This will lead to the Superhero Registration Act.

I think that will result in Cap siding with trying to help Bucky free his programing while Shellhead will want to bring him to justice to show the Registration Act works.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My understanding of the movie is its not about the superhero registration act, as there are very few heroes, all of which identities are known to the government.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There's reference in the Ant-Man teaser to "The Accords"; I'd taken that to be some sort of governmental oversight to superheroes ala SHRA.  The first trailer shows a large government document called "The Sokovia Accords".  In the first teaser the implication is that the Accords bind Stark's hands in terms of dealing with Bucky, this makes me think that he has to bring them in.  Because General Ross is there, I suspect that he's tasked with making sure all the heroes act according to the Accords or face further sanction.

It may not be called the SHRA, but it has a lot of the same elements of it.