What you did today

Blarghagh

As someone who periodically suffers from maddening severe insomnia I can tell you that methionine is so ineffective it does not even work as placebo. 

Sports and long walks in nature always do the trick for me. And no computers three hours before sleep. 

You were right, they don't work. Otherwise I would be asleep right now rather than typing on my laptop while watching ESPN.

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've been taking some prescription sleeping pills and I'm already not liking how often I'm leaning on them to go to sleep

I sent my wife to the opera with two of her friends and spent the evening watching Parks and Rec on Hulu and arguing about the minimum wage on the internet. I don't even feel strongly about it but I absolutely hate those "troops/EMTs/whatevers only make X amount what makes you think your unimportant job deserves a living wage" memes 

PS I miss alcohol, my trusty friend

Free games updated 3/4/21

Hooray for downsizing.  Ah well, have to roll with punches or die I suppose

I'm sorry to hear that, Malc, that sucks. I hope you get a new job quickly.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's raining like hell here today. I need to grade the dirt road up to the mailbox but that isn't going to happen. Looks like today will be spent eating grilled cheese sandwiches and coffee and watching college football.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today is chest day, bench presses, incline bench presses, partials, plate presses. I'm going to start with 120 kilograms and work my way up to 140-150. Lets see how it goes... Chest day is nice even though shoulder day is way more fun. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Well, when I re-racked the 135kg barbell in my last repetition I missed the rack spot on one side by a mere centimeter, the whole barbell tipped over and dropped onto my right arm.  I don't know how it missed my face.  :blink:

First time I ever had a problem with racking the weight, and I've been lifting for over one decade now. 

I'm amazed it did not break a bone, I just have one hell of a bruise on my bcieps. 

michaeldrop_zps58oev6xb.jpg

God I wish you would use a spotter Wold. 

Bench pressing heavy without a spotter can be done safely, I usually do it with a bench only and no rack or any other device. I bench up to 150 kilograms, if I can't press the weight for another repetition I lower it and let it rest on my chest, then I flex my core, push the weight down to hip level where I can stand get up, grab the barbell and put it back on the floor. The whole motion only takes two or three seconds, and its a great exercise in it self. An experienced lifter never gets trapped under a barbell, that only happens if you try to press weights way beyond your level or an injury makes your arms collapse.

Though the latter can happen during standing overhead presses as well, and that would result in dropping the weight directly onto your head.

Weight lifting is a very safe sport, but its not completely free from risks. 

Ironically, this time I used a rack and I screwed up, for the first time ever. Even the safety hooks did not help, they did stop the bar but the big weight disc still hit me, and missed my head by mere centimeters. 

Edited by Woldan

Hooray for downsizing.  Ah well, have to roll with punches or die I suppose

Do you mean you were retrenched ? I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic but from what you have shared about your company you never seemed to really either like your job or how the company was structured or run

So I would see this as golden opportunity for you to find something that you enjoy and feel committed to 

I love my job and believe in my company..I don't think I could work for a corporation if I didn't feel both these things ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Do you mean you were retrenched ? I'm not trying to sound unsympathetic but from what you have shared about your company you never seemed to really either like your job or how the company was structured or run

So I would see this as golden opportunity for you to find something that you enjoy and feel committed to 

I love my job and believe in my company..I don't think I could work for a corporation if I didn't feel both these things ?

Yep, hadn't heard that term before - sounds like someone tossing you in a ditch. My job wasn't that bad, but had gotten super crappy of late, Management had a 'Vision' at sometime and I guess that's when things changed. But yes, will have to find something interesting or at least not as abhorrent.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yep, hadn't heard that term before - sounds like someone tossing you in a ditch. My job wasn't that bad, but had gotten super crappy of late, Management had a 'Vision' at sometime and I guess that's when things changed. But yes, will have to find something interesting or at least not as abhorrent.

Yes and Malc I am not patronizing you when I say rather look for a job you  enjoy...its more important than the money because the money will follow once you enjoy your job

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Another night of no sleep. I'm going to see the doctor if this keeps up. I haven't had more than 2 continuous hours in... I can't even remember. Not unless it was chemically induced.

Thomas Sowell

Another night of no sleep. I'm going to see the doctor if this keeps up. I haven't had more than 2 continuous hours in... I can't even remember. Not unless it was chemically induced.

There are very few  things worse than  the type of insomnia you are experiencing....and  because you feel you should be sleeping you then try and because you cant you stress even more

Okay my friend firstly this is not an unusual event to occur to people who have been under stress of some sort and the insomnia is often delayed which makes some almost not realize what is causing it

But before you go to the doctor and receive seriously strong sleeping pills which of course you can take I would recommend something else

You are not someone who normally takes medication to sleep so what  I would  try first is some decent cannabis, you must get some quality stuff that is grown indoors. Its called hydroponic in South Africa. All you do is put  it in an empty cigarette and say 30-60 minutes  before you want to sleep you take 2-3 hits, thats it. Because Weed is a plant it wont knock you out like a sleeping pill but you become drowsy and you will sleep

I have been smoking weed on and off for about 15 years and its fine if you dont abuse it, of course there are some people who weed makes them feel paranoid and if that is how you feel on it then its not for you

But if you get hydroponic weed I doubt you will feel paranoid :)

John Milton 

I once could not sleep for about 80 hours straight. I would not recommend it, if you can possibly avoid it. :p

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, nothing visible this time, either, so barring anything surprising in the biopsies, the diagnosis is apparently going to be fat and stressed.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

What am I doing today?  Farting like a trooper at work.  Seriously, I'm so full of wind today, and a lot of them have been pretty loud (along with a few silent but deadlies).

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

What am I doing today?  Farting like a trooper at work.  Seriously, I'm so full of wind today, and a lot of them have been pretty loud (along with a few silent but deadlies).

The only real downside of moving to an open plan office. :(

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The only real downside of moving to an open plan office. :(

Downside?  Not at all!  In fact, people like me are doing you a service for your health!!

http://www.newsner.com/en/2015/11/research-your-farts-can-prevent-cancer-and-are-actually-good-for-people-around-you/

The study, which was conducted by researchers at Exeter University in England, concluded that one should not retain their farts. On the contrary, it is healthy for you, and even those around you, if you release them.

Human gases contains hydrogen sulphide which in very large doses may be toxic. But according to this new research, the hydrogen sulfide contained in a fart is fine since it is in smaller doses. And as it turns out, these small doses can help prevent cancer, dementia, stroke and heart attacks, reports The Mirror.

So I, and people like me, are doing you a duty (doody?  *chuckles* )!
  • Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Having all the fun of plowing through job searches and finding that apparently no-one has entry level position these days. Everything seems to require some form of "5-6 years of experience in the business and / or with x system / process."

That and getting advice in the form of "No, you don't want to be honest in CV's and job applications, you have to put spin on everything and make it all positive and have nothing that could potentially have negative connotations."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

There are very few  things worse than  the type of insomnia you are experiencing....and  because you feel you should be sleeping you then try and because you cant you stress even more

Okay my friend firstly this is not an unusual event to occur to people who have been under stress of some sort and the insomnia is often delayed which makes some almost not realize what is causing it

But before you go to the doctor and receive seriously strong sleeping pills which of course you can take I would recommend something else

You are not someone who normally takes medication to sleep so what  I would  try first is some decent cannabis, you must get some quality stuff that is grown indoors. Its called hydroponic in South Africa. All you do is put  it in an empty cigarette and say 30-60 minutes  before you want to sleep you take 2-3 hits, thats it. Because Weed is a plant it wont knock you out like a sleeping pill but you become drowsy and you will sleep

I have been smoking weed on and off for about 15 years and its fine if you dont abuse it, of course there are some people who weed makes them feel paranoid and if that is how you feel on it then its not for you

But if you get hydroponic weed I doubt you will feel paranoid :)

:lol:  Yeah that might not work for me. I have to take drug tests for work pretty regularly.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

marijuana use (even limited use) poses serious dangers for developing brains, and human brains ain't fully matured (typically) until early 20s.  that being said, it ain't as if we is morally offended by an adult who chooses to get high.  *chickle* had a girlfriend who liked weed.  her favorite movie were the wizard of oz, but she had only seen the film while baked.  she had seen wizard many times. 

... personally,  we ain't yet met the person who were smarter and more focused while intoxicated or high.  Gromnir ain't too bright and we need every advantage we can get.  so, no weed or booze or other recreational drugs for Gromnir... though we will cook with alcohol.

oh, and our family history is such that it would be irresponsible o' us to ignore our increased likelihood o' alcohol and drug addiction.  have seen addicts struggle to quit.  am figuring it takes less willpower to never partake than to overcome addiction.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)