What you did today

Blarghagh

I was an emergency babysitter for my brother-in-law's 3 little tykes (6 months, 2 and 4 respectively) and I wanted to kill myself. Still, I can't wait to ruin my own little person someday. I've heard it's like having a disabled dog that slowly learns how to talk during rehabilitation. Sounds fascinating.

Strangely enough I do well with children when I'm told I'm weird with people. Must because I'm not anxious about traumatizing them (in fact it makes a bit giddy) Seriously though, I don't put on kid gloves for children and they seem to respond to the earnest tone by themselves becoming more earnest. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I was an emergency babysitter for my brother-in-law's 3 little tykes (6 months, 2 and 4 respectively) and I wanted to kill myself. Still, I can't wait to ruin my own little person someday. I've heard it's like having a disabled dog that slowly learns how to talk during rehabilitation. Sounds fascinating.

Strangely enough I do well with children when I'm told I'm weird with people. Must because I'm not anxious about traumatizing them (in fact it makes a bit giddy) Seriously though, I don't put on kid gloves for children and they seem to respond to the earnest tone by themselves becoming more earnest. 

I discovered the truth of this today. Me and an earnest little dude I've never met before had a day-long professional working experience ... as soon as I treated him like a human being instead of a six-year old, he was keen to share his life experience. Turns out, ice-skating practice is boring and only his sister likes it, golf lessons are super fun, and the greatest thing ever imagined, is a swimming pool filled with melted ice cream and a hot tub full of hot fudge. Also, his cousin never cleans up his toys ... takes a whizz wherever he feels like it, and dropped a duke down the wishing well at the cabin in Big Bear without getting in trouble.  

All Stop. On Screen.

It's not just baby talk. People talk down to kids. When folks take their comments seriously, even if they correct their comments or address their immaturity, I think children respond well. Also, taking interest in what kids say and responding to them as people rather than pets who use lanuage really helps make them take themselves more seriously.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My grandmother on my fathers side just died, and this one ****ing hurts. She's the one that I really liked, and spent time with, she was my daycare when I was a kid and I tried to return the favor when she started to get dementia.

You will be missed Lorié.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

My grandmother on my fathers side just died, and this one ****ing hurts. She's the one that I really liked, and spent time with, she was my daycare when I was a kid and I tried to return the favor when she started to get dementia.

Sorry to hear that, my thoughts are with you :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

My condolences Azdeus. That's is terrible.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Man, my condolences! Grandmothers are always a big loss.  :(

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Sorry to hear.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

My yoga mat came. I've been too busy to hit my exercise routine as hard I used to, which really sucks. I was doing thirty to fifty miles a week hiking at one point and now I barely hike at all. I don't do nearly as many weights, either. So, I'm going to start taking yoga classes. Even with all that, I still haven't gained hardly any weight back and I haven't lost the muscle definition I fought so hard to get. I think I'll plan a big hike soon. I've hiked the hell out of San Gorgonio, so I think I'm going to hit either Mt. Baldy or San Jacinto. San Jacinto is tough. For my area, San Gorgonio is the toughest, but San J can still be a brute. ...And since the wife refuses to go camping and I won't go without her, I have to do all of them as a day hike. Trust me, hiking my still rather large ass 20-26 miles on a round trip with 4 to 5+ thousand feet of elevation as a day hike can be daunting. This should be a warning and an admonition to everyone here, don't let yourself get out of weight. When you're pushing 400 lbs, getting back into shape is a true and real bitch.

• Like 4

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've had insomnia real bad the last few weeks. I think it's stress. I can't beat it into submission with booze because I have to work tomorrow. It's becoming a problem though.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That sucks.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it.

Going to stay home for another day and deal with things, but also to make a dentist appointment, there was apparently a bit too much gnashing of teeth yesterday and life saw it fit to remind me I'm alive with a chipped tooth.

Joyfull days. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've had insomnia real bad the last few weeks. I think it's stress. I can't beat it into submission with booze because I have to work tomorrow. It's becoming a problem though.

I've been dreaming through all my exes this week, which is new, and while I basically never have trouble falling to sleep, I wake up several times a night with my mind racing. So I sympathise.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Hooray for downsizing.  Ah well, have to roll with punches or die I suppose

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished second week at new location. It's tiring working 11 hour days, But the company might be getting a major insurance contract if a call I got leads to anything.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hooray for downsizing.  Ah well, have to roll with punches or die I suppose

Ah man that sucks. Lots of bad news on the board lately..

Thomas Sowell

Booze is the worst possible way of treating insomnia. 

Booze is the worst possible way of treating insomnia. 

No argument there. Plus hangovers hurt now. The didn't use to but somewhere around age 35 they went from being a mild inconvenience to a seriously debilitating condition. That's why I don't drink to excess anymore. well, one reason anyway.

Tonight I'm taking melatonin.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

As someone who periodically suffers from maddening severe insomnia I can tell you that methionine is so ineffective it does not even work as placebo. 

Sports and long walks in nature always do the trick for me. And no computers three hours before sleep. 

Edited by Woldan

Ah man that sucks. Lots of bad news on the board lately..

Yeah, thought it was a bad day for me but at least I came home alive, unlike a lot. Had a feeling it would come, a big flaw of mine is being inert, heh.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra