Fallout 4 is coming soon.. is there a new OB Fallout Scheduled?

dava4444

Fallout 4 will be the best game this year. Day and a half left.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

First time I may let my female protagonist stay in her vault suit.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

So far I've heard that it's fun, but there are no faction like in New Vegas, Karma is totally gone now, skill system feel more like Skyrim, no traits, no hardcore mode, raiders are called "raiders" again- in one terminal someone even writes he wants to become "the best raider ever", quests for building your own towns are always repeating (kill stuff), etc.

It's kinda fun, but everything that goes into the direction of story, quests, skills, and atmosphere, was simply better in New Vegas.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So far I've heard that it's fun, but there are no faction like in New Vegas, Karma is totally gone now, skill system feel more like Skyrim, no traits, no hardcore mode, raiders are called "raiders" again- in one terminal someone even writes he wants to become "the best raider ever", quests for building your own towns are always repeating (kill stuff), etc.

It's kinda fun, but everything that goes into the direction of story, quests, skills, and atmosphere, was simply better in New Vegas.

A console gamer friend at work was looking at it and complaining it looked "dumbed down" I thought that was PCGMR talk.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

A console gamer friend at work was looking at it and complaining it looked "dumbed down" I thought that was PCGMR talk.

As someone who's been watching every spoiler, it's very difficult to describe the difference, but all I can say is that you should expect more FPS'er than RPG. From the streamers and videos I've seen, the combat often seemed like that of Far Cry 3 and Far Cry 4, whereas the RPG elements seemed more about the fact that....I remember one guy fought Super Mutants that had skulls next to their names. I believe the skulls were to explicitly announce this enemy was out of his level range. Sure enough, his damage was terrible vs. the Super Mutant and they did pretty heavy damage to him. It didn't feel like RPGs in the sense of your stats unlocking a perk like And Stay Back! for shotguns for example, but rather more like one in the sense that certain enemies just have far too much HP for you to tackle until you get enough 20% damage perks. (which I loathe, but that's another story)

Aside from that, if anything is "dumbed down," it's all the story and dialog, though that was already dumb before so it's really just the dialog that's been severely neutered. I feel like when I loved Oblivion and started with FO3, I saw more potential in FO3 because of how expansive the dialog system was (comparatively). This new dialog system has reverted back to the days where each NPC has one line of dialog describing them and not much interaction available. And the story elements...? I've seen the ending for the main story and all I'll say is don't hold your breath; this is standard Bethesda-quality writing, nothing's changed.

If people want examples of two very small sidequests that showcase the writing to expect...? (these have no relation to the main quest)

One I saw a streamer basically walk up to a restaurant building like the ones in FO3. Yknow, the long thin ones you can walk in without going through a loading screen? He walks up to that and there's guys outside with guns yelling at some woman to pay up cause she owes money, she says she's not paying drug dealers. You talk to her, ask her what's up, she says drug dealers want money from her but she'll be damned if she gives money to scum like that. You can then offer to kill them in exchange for caps. The quest is really this simple, and the moment you say "deal" to her offer, the guys outside with their guns raised immediately go hostile; kinda awkward how they let you negotiate a price, THEN shoot.

At this point, after you kill them, you talk to her for EXP and caps. If you did NOT bother inquiring about who those guys were, how she owed them money etc, then tough ****, you'll never know. Any time the streamer talked to her, her dialog was "Wolfgang is six feet under, and now I can breathe easier!" It felt akin to NPCs in Skyrim having that one line of dialog they offer and then after that there's not much. His options with talking to her were basically "how you doing now," goodbye, trading, and I forget the last one at the moment, but I believe it was something utility like trading. So yeah, expect NPCs to have only very limited dialog pertaining to themselves.

Second quest? Some ass wipe actor (apparently post-apocalyptic Boston has these, or maybe he's just crazy) was convinced he could get these Super Mutants to stop their violent ways if he taught them about the glory of William Shakespeare. So he shows up at the base of operations for these human-eating super mutants and starts reading Macbeth to them, big surprise they imprison his ass. You have to rescue his ass. There's even an elevator sequence where after you reach the top of a tower to save him, you take a lift back down off the side of the building, which stops at each floor for a mini shootout with Super Mutants firing-range style. During this shootout, the same asswipe says "I SHALL QUOTE THE BARD TO KEEP US IN GOOD SPIRITS DURING THIS BATTLE" and indeed begins quoting Shakespeare while you fight super mutants.

I mean, to each their own and all, but personally I find this style of writing to be absolutely asenine, retarded and not remotely realistic or convincing. It's just over-the-top wacky to such a degree that kills my immersion and broadcasts the world is pure fiction. This is the same style of writing that spawned Little Lamplight, and I promise you the elements that spawned some of the odd moments in FO3 like "why do they want me to feel an attachment to Jonas, the NPC I knew a grand total of 2 minutes" and "why did Dad blow up his life's work wtf" are still present too.

I realize I probably come across as bias cause quite frankly, my money is on this title being disappointing (GOTY and a top seller no doubt, but I expect buyer's remorse), but just trying to give some more grounded and critical examples of some blemishes I've seen so people know what to expect.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Bethesda totally nailed the humor of Fallout once again.

You do realize that you're not obligated to play this game, right?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Bethesda totally nailed the humor of Fallout once again.

You do realize that you're not obligated to play this game, right?

So what? Doesn't make it any less true.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Reviews are hitting the web, looks like the usual Bethesda blend of ridiculous bugs and addictiveness.  Nice to see the bugs are costing them review points this time around.

On big review sites I don't see this to be the case.

Why are there performance issues on the PS4, but not on the XBox One?  Don't they have similar processing power?  And in fact, isn't the PS4 slightly more powerful?

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Why are you complaining about performance issues on consoles. Why on earth would you want to get it for condole.

(hint : no mods)

Because I do all my gaming on my PS4, because my PC is a POS?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Why are there performance issues on the PS4, but not on the XBox One?  Don't they have similar processing power?  And in fact, isn't the PS4 slightly more powerful?

They have different over all system architectures. Which causes that some things are easier to do or work better on one system than another. And if you design game systems first one system in mind and then port them to another system that another system may suffer from this decision as even if it had more processing power than system which game was first designed for game don't necessary is able to use that power that well as it is designed to take advantage of that less powerful systems advantages.

You can see this in many PC ports of the console games that have performance issues in machines that are multiple times more powerful than systems that games were originally designed.

Edited by Elerond

Fallout 4 is clearly bigger than any Fallout that's come before it—we'd estimate that it's at least twice the size of Fallout 3, if not even more. When you eventually reach a point in the game that reveals the entire game world in one fell swoop, the effect is pretty staggering. The problem is, so much of Fallout 4's content is recycled stuff. Almost every outpost's buildings look identical—all the same ragged wooden textures with the same chairs, same desks, same doors, same "broken" wall designs, all surrounded by the same trees and same leaves.

From the Ars review, http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/fallout-4-review-check-your-next-gen-expectations-at-the-vault-door/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+arstechnica%2FwfSF+(Ars+Technica)

Might have to try this one out, somehow. Hm..friend pre-ordered.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why are you complaining about performance issues on consoles. Why on earth would you want to get it for condole.

(hint : no mods)

For the ES and Fallouts, I've ended up with them on both, usually getting the PC one a little later to pick up mods and expansions.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-fallout-4-performance-analysis

Seems to be worse on the xbone.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif