Fallout 4 is coming soon.. is there a new OB Fallout Scheduled?

dava4444

Bethesda really needs to stop making the main stories so time-sensitive with their open world sandbox games.

I mean, think about it.  You're looking for your son.  While there's not "clock" that says you fail if you don't immediately go after him, from a logical point of view you sort of have to.  What person says, "I know I need to find my son as soon as possible, but I'm gonna stop along the way to help these settlers build vegetable gardens and find this guy his slutty sister first".

It's just so immersion breaking, from a storytelling point of view, to have the main quest be about finding your kid as soon as possible, yet have you doing all these side tasks for the BoS, Minutemen, Rail Road, and the various other fetch quest givers you come across.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Bethesda really needs to stop making the main stories so time-sensitive with their open world sandbox games.

I mean, think about it.  You're looking for your son.  While there's not "clock" that says you fail if you don't immediately go after him, from a logical point of view you sort of have to.  What person says, "I know I need to find my son as soon as possible, but I'm gonna stop along the way to help these settlers build vegetable gardens and find this guy his slutty sister first".

It's just so immersion breaking, from a storytelling point of view, to have the main quest be about finding your kid as soon as possible, yet have you doing all these side tasks for the BoS, Minutemen, Rail Road, and the various other fetch quest givers you come across.

I agree in general, as I don't actually think any main story should be time sensitive, unless that's the overarching pointe of it it, like Fallout 1.

That said, I completely ignored all faction quests and it didn't seem to hamper my game in particular. Although it was weird when people kept calling SH "your settlement" and I could recruit people to go there - when I had declined the offer to join the minutemen and had never even been there.

So you could hurry through the main quest and then do all the settlement-mucking-about-stuff later. It's open enough for that after all.

Fortune favors the bald.

I agree in general, as I don't actually think any main story should be time sensitive, unless that's the overarching pointe of it it, like Fallout 1.

The displayed time limit in Fallout was actually kind of cool, and not something a modern game would ever attempt any longer. The hidden time limit in Fallout was balls and poorly implemented - thankfully there are mods to remove it.

But yeah, generally speaking, putting a time limit into a game seems to only ever serve purpose when it's optional - the initial mission of Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a fantastic example of this. Because the moment it's not optional in the sense that you get clock displayed in your face and lose when you don't finish an objective in that time, that's just frustrating for no good reason. Then there are implied time limits where all NPCs tell you how world will end if you don't take action, but since that would be a failure state, there's no actual time limit in place so you run around catching bees for some reason instead.

I kind of like what Batman: Arkham Knight did - there are points in the story where you're told that you need to wait for something to happen and are encouraged to pursue side missions. And then, towards the end of the game, pressure is lifted from player and it's made clear to him that he may do whatever now.

There is no hidden time limit in Fo1 (nor 2). The mutant invasions got patched out right after release. If you mean the 13 years limit, that's an engine limitation which was workarounded with a kinda dirty hack years later. Even though, if you can't finish everything in the game in less than one or two ingame years, you are a seriously inefficient player.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

And it could all be addressed by some relatively minor changes to dialogue. Sure, you can have the desperate and slightly irrational option of "my baby's out there, I need to find him now", but you can just as easily have a weary, resigned protagonist who knows that odds are their baby may well have died of old age by now. Both would be valid approaches and the player could go either way. Y'know, roleplaying.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Thread getting a bit long. More fallout here

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein